• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Spr mid length vs rifle length?

Hey guys so I'm working on getting my zombie parys ready for the build, and my question is in regards to mid length vs rifle length gas system what are the advantages and disadvantages of these on an 18 inch barrel? Thanks

I have a rifle length on my 18" and I love it, it has a real soft recoil impulse. I would imagine a mid length would hit a little harder, but I don't know by how much, I have never fired one.

The rifle length noticeably softer and smoother than a carbine, in my limited experience: Bushmaster A2 with carbine gas system vs. custom 18" rifle. I don't have any experience with a mid length system to compare either against, though.

The real SPR uses a rifle length gas system.

If you are set on a 18" barrel, I would also recommend a rifle length gas system. Like others said, It will be the softest and smoothest shooting.

Another advantage over mid length, is rifle length has been made forever, is still more common and a replacement gas tube will never be hard to find.

What are your plans for the rifle? What type of shooting do you plan on using it for?

The real SPR uses a rifle length gas system.

The real SPRs also have oversized gas-ports, because Crane had issues short-stroking in very cold weather.

I run a rifle length (and have had no problems), but several high-end manufacturers have gone to "Intermediate" lengths on 18" guns, to split the difference.

I have a rifle length on my 18" and I love it, it has a real soft recoil impulse.

Seriously. At 300 yards and light-ish loads, I can shoot at 8" plates, and the rifle doesn't come off the plate in recoil.

Last edited:
What are your plans for the rifle? What type of shooting do you plan on using it for?

Just range fun really I already have a 20 inch heavy barreled ar and soon will have t
2 carbines. Just something I don't own and I've heard good things about 18's!

I have a 16" and like it a lot, but want to build a longer 18-20" rifle with the new YHM NES lower that will be coming eventually. I'd say go with a rifle length as it will only help with recoil. I have a mid-length on my current 16" and recoil is not bad at all, so I imagine rifle length would be practically nothing.

16" mid-length is a great combo, I love mine. Some have had great experience with 18" mid-length as well (not me, never shot one set up that way).

I think I'm gonna go midlength route ordered about $450 in parts for the lower next month I'll get the Daniel defense 18 midlength medium contour barrel and some sort of hand guard!

Back
Top Bottom