• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Spotting Scope

I'm looking for a spotting scope in the $100-$150 range. I just joined a club that has a 600yd range and im planning on working my way up to shooting that kinda distance once i have the right rifle for it. But for now, in the 100-300yd range, what would be a good scope? Any thoughts?

Champion's Choice (big highpower supplier) has a 24X x 60mm spotting scope model CH6045F for $155.00. That's the scope I'd recommend in your price range. It has an angled eyepiece which is what you want for highpower shooting. Cheaper than a Kowa 821M. Decent glass. It would serve you well out to 600yards no problem. You'll need to invest in a scope stand at some point.

Tom

Last edited:
The Konus spotting scopes are very good quality and very reasonable in price. They make a 100mm scope, but I have the 80mm. Very good for 100 & 200 yds (all I have to shoot here in CT), and should meet your needs. I got mine from Jim Owens (www.jarheadtop.com)

Celestron Ultima 80 would work nicely.

Check it out on www.Opticsplanet.com I bought this model with free tripod and free shipping for ~$150 last Fall. Watch for a real sale on it, as Optics Planet now shows it for $200 w/o tripod, so perhaps you can find it cheaper somewhere else right now.

Last edited:
I bought a Ultima 80 from opticsplanet a month ago and even though they didn't list a free tripod, it came with one. And it's f'ing huge. Not the most stable on on earth, but it works just fine.

the scope is very nice. I used an opticsplanet.com coupon code and got the scope at around $170ish

Celestron Ultima 80 would work nicely.

Check it out on www.Opticsplanet.com I bought this model with free tripod and free shipping for ~$150 last Fall. Watch for a real sale on it, as Optics Planet now shows it for $200 w/o tripod, so perhaps you can find it cheaper somewhere else right now.

I took Len's advice a year ago and love it. I would love to have a KOWA or Swarovski but the Celestron works fine

I just placed an order from Optics Planet last night not for a spotting scope but something else. I did a search for coupon codes and they currently have some that will give you 5% off your order which applies to anything aside from Nightforce brand items. Try the following if interested. I think it was the first or second code that I used and saved a few bucks:

bx5sm9g
bx5sm9n
bx5sm9s
bx5md9t4
opiv5of
efb5rc

I took Len's advice a year ago and love it. I would love to have a KOWA or Swarovski but the Celestron works fine

I also have a Celestron Ultima 80 (with the angled eyepiece). it's served me VERY well. would i like a nice Kowa? sure, but the $650 i saved buys a LOT of bullets and powder, which at this point, are far more useful for me.

I just bought an open box Ultima 80 on Amazon for 130 w/ free shipping. Am looking forward to finally not having to walk down range to see what I have been doing.

I'm looking for a spotting scope in the $100-$150 range. I just joined a club that has a 600yd range and im planning on working my way up to shooting that kinda distance once i have the right rifle for it. But for now, in the 100-300yd range, what would be a good scope? Any thoughts?

I's been mentioned a couple of times:

Old Spotting Scope thread: Celestron Ultima 80

I have also been looking for a spotting scope to see .223 out at 150-200 yards. Can anyone recommend a specific model that is closer to $100, the $170 for the celestron ultima 80 is out of my price range at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Celestron-50mm-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439d98b70b

http://cgi.ebay.com/Barska-Blackhaw...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad7e0c2b4

Would either of these work for my use? I want something i am not too concerned about and can see at the aforementioned range. Is this a reasonable price range to accomplish this? \

Last edited:
Without commenting too specifically about the Barska or the Celestron other than one feature, I can offer this:

The Celestron has a 50mm objective lens, and the Barska a 60mm lens. If you are looking for .223 holes (and these are not paper-punching wad-cutter-type holes mind you) in plain paper, at out to 150-200 yards, then it had better be a bright sunny day. The light gathering ability of those smaller aperture lenses would make the view pretty difficult at those distances with anything but top-level glass in any overcast. And nearly impossible on a very cloudy/dark day. So, take that into account.

Back
Top Bottom