• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Spotting scope advice

Ok, I've finally decide to spend a few dollars on a spotting scope. Perhaps others that have purchased "value" spotting scopes ( in the $200 price range ) could offer their experiences/advice.

1. I want to spend in the $200 range
2. I would like to see .223 holes at 200yds
3. I wear glasses, and I would like eye relief long enough to accommodate them
4. I would like something reasonably durable. it will see range use, hiking use and family vacation use.

Yes, I know..... There will be plenty of people saying I need to spend $1k before I get a decent scope. for many reasons, I simply dont want to have that much money in glass. I dont shoot in competitions, I cant see shooting past 200 yds ( in the reasonable future ) I would like to take it hiking/vacation without worrying about it. Not to mention if a had $1k to spend, I'd probably spend $800 on another gun and $200 on the spotting scope anyway![smile]

My current #1 choice is the Celestron Ultima 80 ( 20-60x zoom 80mm ) Im finding $150 is about the going rate. Ive also taken a look at a few of the Burris and Bushnell scopes and thought they seemed nice as well.

Any thoughts? The Celestron as had some good reviews on this site.

Given the choice, for primarily shooting would a straight or angled scope be better?

drb

Konus all the way. go to http://www.jarheadtop.com/. Jim is a great guy to work with, and he even has a process where you can sell it back to him if you decide you want Kowa etc. Its just over your price range ($245) but I think it is worth the extra $. I have the 88mm scope (bought prior to them releasing the 100mm). It is a great scope and I use it for service rifle shooting at 200 yds (223 holes). Sometimes it can be a challenge if the light conditions are not optimal, but usually not a problem. Do yourself a favor and buy a really good stand. Vibrations from the stand cause more issues for me than clarity.

I've been reading a lot of people in Highpower are using the Konus 80 scope. There is even a guy selling them and then letting you get a good amount of your money back in trade towards his higher priced scopes if you decide to move up in the future. I guess there are a lot of them these days on the line at Camp Perry.
They run a little higher than 200, but if you do well in a trade in the future..... I have the Celestron myself, and am happy with it. Can see 22 holes most days at 200 yards.

The Celestron you mentioned has worked great for me over the past year. Shot a 200-yard Highpower match this weekend, and had no problem seeing the holes. Of course, they were .30 cal holes....

I particularly like the fact that this scope has a removable eyepiece with separate protective container.

The Celestron you mentioned has worked great for me over the past year. Shot a 200-yard Highpower match this weekend, and had no problem seeing the holes. Of course, they were .30 cal holes....

I particularly like the fact that this scope has a removable eyepiece with separate protective container.

do you have the angled or straight?

I think Ive got it down to the Celestron or the Konus

This

This

and THIS

Are these had for $200? Ok maybe even $300? Not from what I've seen.....

I don't think you guys get it.... If I spend $800 on a spotting scope there IS NO WAY I WILL SEE ANY HOLES!!!! Why? I won't have any money for ammo. No, really.

My fun money comes "side jobs". ( I'm a cabinet maker ). There's no money out of my regular paycheck for "toys"

When I get a small side project I split my earnings with my wife ( by the way these side jobs are in addition to my normal 60hr work week)

So, Kowa is not an option.

If you guys are really telling me a piece of glass cannot be had for $200ish to see holes at 200yds, fine I'll walk to see my targets.

I see no future in high power target shooting ( honestly id love to try but as it seems I would show up with my "crap" gear and be told it's not good enough anyway ). I just would like something to see holes in paper when I'm out at the range

I see no future in high power target shooting ( honestly id love to try but as it seems I would show up with my "crap" gear and be told it's not good enough anyway ).
Don't take this the wrong way, but that statement is frankly insulting to those of us who have spent years in the sport.

Think about what you are saying about us.....we are snobs, gear queers, and rude, unsportsmanlike dickheads.

I don't think that's what you meant, but that's how it comes across. And if that's what you meant, I'm gonna chalk it up to ignorance.

I challenge you to go to the next available highpower clinic (Nashua Fish & Game has them) and come back and report.

The only time I've seen people kicked off the line for "gear" is when they were absolutely incapable to get on paper or stay on paper.

Don't take this the wrong way, but that statement is frankly insulting to those of us who have spent years in the sport.

Think about what you are saying about us.....we are snobs, gear queers, and rude, unsportsmanlike dickheads.

I don't think that's what you meant, but that's how it comes across. And if that's what you meant, I'm gonna chalk it up to ignorance.

I challenge you to go to the next available highpower clinic (Nashua Fish & Game has them) and come back and report.

The only time I've seen people kicked off the line for "gear" is when they were absolutely incapable to get on paper or stay on paper.

Yes, I very ignorant.... All I know is what I've read on NES. On the specific topic of spotting scopes I've read 4 other threads on the subject where others were asking a similar question as mine only to be told they needed to spend 5x the amount they had to get something "serviable"

I didn't mean for my comment to be offensive personally. It's more my feeling that it wouldn't really be my place at an event like that.... I don't possibly have the money to even see if I'm on the target according to this and other threads.

A while back I traded for a decent 20" AR ( built by Remsport ) that I would love to spend some time shooting with open sights,as well as my Garand and my Rem m1917. But it SUCKs walking 100 or 200yds to find out what your hitting! So, they stay in the safe, unused.

drb

Yes, I very ignorant.... All I know is what I've read on NES. On the specific topic of spotting scopes I've read 4 other threads on the subject where others were asking a similar question as mine only to be told they needed to spend 5x the amount they had to get something "serviable"

I didn't mean for my comment to be offensive personally. It's more my feeling that it wouldn't really be my place at an event like that.... I don't possibly have the money to even see if I'm on the target according to this and other threads.

A while back I traded for a decent 20" AR ( built by Remsport ) that I would love to spend some time shooting with open sights,as well as my Garand and my Rem m1917. But it SUCKs walking 100 or 200yds to find out what your hitting! So, they stay in the safe, unused.

drb

Check that link above to JarHeadTop.com and consider the $245 Konus.

When you get into optics of any kind you will find people who really appreciate the best and know that quality makes a difference. This is not like buying a watch, where people pay a lot of money for looks or style. Good glass is expensive, you get you pay for, and there is a reason people put a lot of money into glass. I know from a lot of experience, for example, that there is no way a $200 camera lens can do the job that a good $2000 lens can do. That doesn't mean every guy with the $200 lens is a loser. It just means that at some point the equipment won't perform as well as more expensive gear. Spotting scopes are very similar.

Having said that, you can get a lot of great use out of a $250 scope, enjoy your shooting, and never regret it. I would much rather see people get out and shoot with gear they can afford than feel that they can't try unless they have the best. You can give a good shooter that $245 Konus and a budget match rifle and he will absolutely crush a poor shooter who has all of the best gear but lacks the skill. So get what you can afford, be happy with it, and go shoot. You'll find most shooters are working with a budget, and welcome newcomers (at least in every discipline I've observed).

Edit to add: Zero your rifle at 50 yards. You will be on paper at 200. Don't worry about it.

Check that link above to JarHeadTop.com and consider the $245 Konus.

When you get into optics of any kind you will find people who really appreciate the best and know that quality makes a difference. This is not like buying a watch, where people pay a lot of money for looks or style. Good glass is expensive, you get you pay for, and there is a reason people put a lot of money into glass. I know from a lot of experience, for example, that there is no way a $200 camera lens can do the job that a good $2000 lens can do. That doesn't mean every guy with the $200 lens is a loser. It just means that at some point the equipment won't perform as well as more expensive gear. Spotting scopes are very similar.

Having said that, you can get a lot of great use out of a $250 scope, enjoy your shooting, and never regret it. I would much rather see people get out and shoot with gear they can afford than feel that they can't try unless they have the best. You can give a good shooter that $245 Konus and a budget match rifle and he will absolutely crush a poor shooter who has all of the best gear but lacks the skill. So get what you can afford, be happy with it, and go shoot. You'll find most shooters are working with a budget, and welcome newcomers (at least in every discipline I've observed).

Edit to add: Zero your rifle at 50 yards. You will be on paper at 200. Don't worry about it.

Thank you for your post/advice. I have absolutly NO delusions that $200 scope will perform like a $2000 or even a $500 scope. all Im asking is whats the best I can do for $200 ish. another vote for the Konus, thanks

drb

I see no future in high power target shooting ( honestly id love to try but as it seems I would show up with my "crap" gear and be told it's not good enough anyway ).

Wow! You must have had some horrible experience once to say something like that.

I've been to a number of ranges / clubs over my past 8 years of highpower shooting, and I've NEVER heard anything even close to that. I've seen people show up with an M-1 carbine and a blanket, and they're welcomed with open arms. Most of us welcome anyone who comes out and wants to learn. Don't worry about the folks who think you have to have the best of everything to show up - good for them it they can afford it, but not everybody can.

I see the shooting sports as an "everyman's" sport where you don't have to have extreme physical strength, top agility and coordination, or lots of money. If you've been convinced of that somewhere down the line, don't believe it! You've been going to the wrong club, that's all.

I could find a way to fund a Kowa if I wanted to - but I won't. I'd rather spend the money on more guns! And, by the way, I've had both the Konus and Celestron scopes. Both are completely fine for HP competition. What happened to the Konus? Fell down and shattered beyond repair (completely my fault). So now I have the Celestron. If that had been a Kowa, I probably would have been considering hari kari - and I have plenty of bayonets to choose from!

Come on out and shoot!

Last edited:
I used my Celestron Ultima 80 (angled) during the highpower clinic at Nashua last weekend and really liked it. I was able to see 223 hits at 200 yards without a problem. I bought mine at Optics Planet and it included a tripod, which was honestly pretty flimsy, but certainly serviceable with a little weight hanging from the center tube. I happed to have a nice photography tripod and used that.

For someone on a budget, i would strongly recommend it. If you are anywhere near Harvard, MA (or want to make the drive) you are more than welcome to take a look through mine at 200 & 300 yards.

On the specific topic of spotting scopes I've read 4 other threads on the subject where others were asking a similar question as mine only to be told they needed to spend 5x the amount they had to get something "serviable"

Well, there definitely are some highpower gear queers out there, but I think for every Kowa I see on the line I probably see 3 or 4 Konus or Celesti-whatever scopes. I'd love a Kowa and if I found a killer deal on one I'd buy it in a minute, but it's by no means necessary. A Konus will work fine....

Put this way: If the choice is between a Kowa and not shooting or a Konus and shooting a bunch of matches, I would (and did) pick the Konus.

On a side note - I showed up to my first highpower match with no gear at all. No rifle, no scope, no coat, nothing. I was planning to just watch and learn, but 20 minutes later I found myself slung up with borrowed everything shooting my first string. My point: highpower guys for the most part are the best bunch of guys you'll ever meet and are pretty much always looking to get new people into the sport. As long as you're safe and not a total f-up (and don't run your mouth) you will generally be welcomed, regardless of the brand of scope that you happen to have.

Last edited:
Guys, I think DRB is just frustrated about not knowing where to start and has heard too much shit talk elsewhere.

DRB, what these guys have told you is the same thing I told you via PM. Come join us, come with an open mind, and bring whatever you have. We will find a way to make your stuff work and we'll find and loan you whatever you are missing to make it through the day. That goes double for coaching.

PS, I am as serious as a heart attack about my offer.

While it is about $150-200 more than the Konus, has anyone had a chance to check out the Leupold SX-1 Ventana?

I think the ability to see .223 holes at 200yds is overrated. In shooting NRA Highpower/CMP, it's not at all necessary. That's why there are target pullers down in the pits. I use mine solely for seeing the value disk and shot spotter and reading the number board. There are some that will try to scope their first 2 shots in a rapid string between mag changes; I'm not one of them. Takes too much time for me to find the holes, and then if they are off, deciding on an adjustment and then clicking it in. Trust your zero and concentrate on shot execution instead. I also don't read mirage. I pick a flag and go with that.
Just about any spotting scope from $150-$1500 will allow me to do what I want.

Some things I know about spotting scopes (that apply to me only):
1. It must have an angled eyepiece
2. A fixed power in the 20x-30x range is perfect. Just about all variables are junk.
3. 80mm is more than enough. 60mm works just as well.
4. What you attach the scope to is just as important as the scope.
5. Kowa is a great scope and I would get one if I could afford it.

What I use: Zhumel 80mm. I bought it through opticsplanet maybe 8 years ago, but I see they no longer offer the model I have, which is basically a direct knock-off of the Kowa. Looks just like the Konus as far as I can see (except for color). I took out the 20-60 variable eyepiece and put in a fixed Kowa 27x LER. Works perfect for me.

Don't let the lack of a "preferred" scope stop you from shooting in any match. I know guys who still show up with binoculars.

ALL scopes will let you see them when the light is perfect. NO scope will let you see them at all times. Every range is different in it's lighting/backdrop.

Last edited:
Id like to apologize to all from my comments yesterday. A few very childish and uninformed comments made on my part. I had an extraordinarily bad day yesterday and for some reason decided to have a temper tantrum on NES..... All of the offers of help and support on this thread and via PM especially from Jose are greatly appreciated.

That you all for your comments/advice/recommendations in this thread and others on this subject.

Resurrecting this just to say thanks for all the info on this thread. I decided I wanted to get a scope for low to mid range stuff (100-300 yds) and the sheer number of choices was overwhelming. This thread helped me decide to go with the Konus scope since I wanted something decent without spending tons of money. I was able to find it at B&H Photo and Video for $189.95 w/ free shipping.

Back
Top Bottom