• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Spots to safely shoot a rifle in NH White Mountains?

Thread resurrection!

I disagree, you just need to know where to look. A lot of the WMNF doesn't have dense brush and is taller pine trees where you can see reasonable distances around you.

Anyways, I'm thinking of spending a few weeks in NH next year and shooting in the WMNF would be easier and cheaper (and better) than an indoor range or joining a club.
Do you not shoot often?

It's been said a few times, but don't be a dick, clean up your mess, and don't go telling every dick beater about the shooting spots you find in the Whites. Gun Bubba's are the worst at ruining a good thing for those of us that enjoy these spots.

Gun bubbas are even bigger dickheads when they shoot on private land without permission and leave cigarette butts, broken beer bottles for my dogs to get cut on and food wrappers....in addition to the casings and targets they also don't pick up.

Do you not shoot often?

Carefully read what I posted. I intend to visit NH for a few weeks next year. Shooting on public land would only cost me for gas + ammo. There's no reason to join a club if I'm up there for three weeks. Indoor ranges get expensive fast.

Carefully read what I posted. I intend to visit NH for a few weeks next year. Shooting on public land would only cost me for gas + ammo. There's no reason to join a club if I'm up there for three weeks. Indoor ranges get expensive fast.
Ok so you are in a club near home but when up there won't join one if you can shoot wmnf?

The biggest problem with public land shooting is when the poors find out about your spots and the next time you pull up there's a bunch of shotgun shells and white winchester boxes scattered all over with a bunch of broken glass and shot up watermelon where your targets go.

Poors and boomers ruin everything.

The biggest problem with public land shooting is when the poors find out about your spots and the next time you pull up there's a bunch of shotgun shells and white winchester boxes scattered all over with a bunch of broken glass and shot up watermelon where your targets go.

So, silence is golden, no pictures, and leave no trace?

This time of the year it might be a good idea to have your hunting license with you in case you are in a spot a CO might assume you are hunting.

Doesnt sound worth it to me. To me, that sounds like a major PITA. Having to travel and do all the research to find a place only to throw some lead down range. Then someone might see you and try to cause trouble (even if you are not doing anything illegal). I would wait the three weeks and shoot at home.

Or ask a local NES member to take you to his/her range if you cant go a few weeks without pulling the trigger.

No BS, you're probably better off just driving down to Manchester Firing Line to rent a lane, and pray to god you don't get shot by one of the irregulars.

Doesnt sound worth it to me. To me, that sounds like a major PITA. Having to travel and do all the research to find a place only to throw some lead down range. Then someone might see you and try to cause trouble (even if you are not doing anything illegal). I would wait the three weeks and shoot at home.

Or ask a local NES member to take you to his/her range if you cant go a few weeks without pulling the trigger.

I'll be staying immediately next to the WMNF in the Pemi River valley with locals and I'll be spending the time fly fishing and mountain hiking. So finding a spot would be part of the fun.

No BS, you're probably better off just driving down to Manchester Firing Line to rent a lane, and pray to god you don't get shot by one of the irregulars.

Total opposite end of the state.

I'll be staying immediately next to the WMNF in the Pemi River valley with locals and I'll be spending the time fly fishing and mountain hiking. So finding a spot would be part of the fun.

That pemi area is covered in trails on both sides of the highway.

I dont know if I would want to shoot there. It is full of natural backstops due to the mountains all over the place, but it is also full of people hiking during spring, summer and fall.

Even during winter there is a good amount of people hiking there.

Maybe north, past the mountains, you can find a spot.

Here...

20191121_115224.jpg 20191121_115211.jpg

Last edited:

The worst part is most of the poors aren't actually poors, they're just f***ing skinflints.

-Mike

That's basically like telling him to drive to tinbuck 4 compared to where he's going to be.

-Mike

The worst part is most of the poors aren't actually poors, they're just f***ing skinflints.

-Mike
This. I have seen people driving $30-50K trucks, with a $500+ handgun, several hundred rounds of ammo (not bulk ammo) too cheap to pay anywhere from $75-120 once a year for a club.

They are also the people that s*ck at shooting.

A lot of them also own a .40 [devil2]

This. I have seen people driving $30-50K trucks, with a $500+ handgun, several hundred rounds of ammo (not bulk ammo) too cheap to pay anywhere from $75-120 once a year for a club.

The best one I had was this guy I know that is retired on a huge union pension, he makes like twice as a retiree what I do working 40-60hrs a week. Wants to know what
1911s to buy and where to get them, etc. I give him a dealer to go to.

Guy shows up at cigar thing a couple weeks later and tells me he bought TWO Taurus 1911s... I recoiled slightly when he said that. Then I remembered how much of a
skinflint he is. [rofl] I had to resist the urge to tell him " Well, it's a good thing you bought two, because when one of them goes tits up you can use the other one". Not that
it matters much anyways, because I doubt he'll shoot it ever again. (he's one of those guys that might shoot like one to three times a year... )

-Mike

There are pits dug into the sides of hills right off logging roads all over the place. Problem is that it is hard to know whether it acceptable to shoot there (if it's private land then you need permission). I suppose if you see a lot of casings that would be a good sign.

If its private and its not posted, you are fine. So you don't even need to worry about that.

Just make sure you are in compliance with NH target shooting distance laws and have a good backstop and have at it.

Your question about "good places" reveals your Massitude. Almost everywhere in that area is a good place. Just avoid the bad places.

When I lived in CT I didn't belong to a club for the longest time. Primarily because when I'm alone in a sand pit:
1) I can practice like I would shoot in real life. For example, mag changes with the gun up near my face pointed across my body, up at a 45 deg angle.

2) I can shoot machine guns. (there is only one club in CT that allows full auto, and its an hour away)

3) I coul shoot cans, skip shots off the ground, whatever. I didn't have to comply with rules designed for the lowest common denominator.

Since I've moved to MA I've belonged to 3 clubs. All are great. (Weston Shooters, Mass Rifle, Harvard) Much better than the club I eventually did join in CT. (Niantic Sportsmans)

I'm interested in this...there are a definite lack of public ranges or even sand pits in the White Mountains from Conway all the way up past Bartlett/Jackson even up to Berlin.

Lots of nice woods in the WMNF but it's so dense with hikers that even if you're shooting with an appropriate backstop you'll get the attention of hippie antis and unwanted police attention...

If you go in from a trailhead, this may be a true. But if you are driving on a road that runs along either Fed or state land and you just pull over and hike in,you wouldn't see anyone for days.

Back
Top Bottom