• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SportsmansGuide

KMaurer

NES Member
I just got the latest catalog from SportsmansGuide. Having heard that they ran into trouble with the AG a while back and ended up signing a consent decree, I decided to check to see what exactly they won't ship here. It makes for some interesting commentary on the things that the AG thinks are somehow illegal here or that require some sort of official permission to sell.

Here's what I found they specifically indicate can't be shipped to the People's Republic of Marxichusetts:

• Ammunition (except for .22mag, p.9 - probably an oversight);
    Non-firing firearm replicas or BATF-approved de-milled guns;
    Scopes and mounts specifically designed for Tokarev, Moisen-Nagant, SKS or AR15 (Generic scopes seem to be OK);
    Most rifle stocks and stock/handguard sets (1903 Springfield, Mauser, AK, M1 Carbine, Enfield, Remington 700 are out - Garand is OK);
    Most sights (Williams sights, HK91, Enfield, S&W, Meprolight, Winchester buckhorn, M1 Carbine are out - 03A3 is OK);
    Laser boresighters;
    Most standard capacity or low capacity magazines (even 4 and 5-round rifle mags);
    Stripper clips (Garand, Mauser, Schmidt-Rubin);
    Barrel De-Resonator;
    Recoil Pads & Butt Plates;
    IPSC, silhouette and some bullseye targets;
    Desiccant (Electric dehumidifiers are OK, though);
    Tipton Gun Vise (p.39);
    Most gun parts (slides, barrels, guide rod sets, mainspring housings, grip safeties, bushings, even grip panels, p.70, and screw sets, pp.59,67);
    Enfield Accessory Kit (sling, pull-through & oiler);
    Packmayr snap caps;
    FAL broken shell extractor;
    Most anything associated with those evil Glocks - Armorer's Tool, plastic pistol cases, Slug-Plugs, mag pouches, holsters (p.47);
    AR-15 - bi-pods, mag loaders, handguard removal tool;
    DPMS Multi-tool;
    SKS gas port cleaning tool;
    CETME front-sight tool;
    Mossberg shotgun safety parts.

Now with the exception of ammunition and possibly the toy guns and magazines, I don't see anything on this list of contraband than it wouldn't be perfectly legal for my granddaughter to purchase over the counter in Nashua, bring back here, take to school, and share/trade/sell to her classmates. (Sure she'd catch hell with the school; that's probably one reason they're in a private school in Florida.)

Ken

WOW
Unbelivable... So what you are saying, is that for the most part, anything that I might want to order from the SportsmanGuide is not allowed to be sold to me?

WOW
Adam

That's pretty crazy.
Even cleaning and safety items.. [roll]

There's still some room in Maine as well! Besides, it would be great if some shooters moved up here from MA instead of everyone who wants to take the guns away.

I understand SGs reasoning completely. It just amazes me that some of these things are on the list of what they can't ship to MA.

I do not know for sure but I think that SG was the first company to get in trouble in Massachusetts. This happened a good five-seven years ago. I remember asking them why they would not ship ammo any more and was told to "Ask your Attorney General.". It seems like after that the AG started going after other companies.

So I stopped dealing with them altogether.

Most of these items are purely "Knee-Jerk" reactions by SG, nothing more.

NO WAY that the AG is prohibiting them selling grip screws for a 1911 . . . but SG says that they won't ship here.

Don't mistake what they "can't do" with what they "won't do"!

Basically they are kissing off MA and insulting those of us here by sending us catalogs that are useful only for the bottom of a bird cage.

Chastising them on their stupidity might be an effective approach, but if you win, they rake you over the coals on their "shipping and handling charges" so that they are no bargain anyway.

Well said, Len. There's a few reasons most dealers won't do business with SG. Quality, honesty and shipping cost come to mind.

I'm not saying they're crooked, I'm just saying they "misadvertise" sometimes. It happens more than you think, by some companies you wouldn't believe do it. It's usually because of IGNORANCE, not dishonesty.

LenS said:

Basically they are kissing off MA and insulting those of us here by sending us catalogs that are useful only for the bottom of a bird cage.

Chastising them on their stupidity might be an effective approach, but if you win, they rake you over the coals on their "shipping and handling charges" so that they are no bargain anyway.

All the more reason to get everyone you can in Mass to get on their free mailing list and cost them some $$ for nutin'

JonJ said:
LenS said:

All the more reason to get everyone you can in Mass to get on their free mailing list and cost them some $$ for nutin'

Jon, but now I have to go out and buy a bird, so I have a use for the catalogs! [twisted] [lol]

Another SG story

just to add another confirmation that SG just doesn't have balls.

I ordered a number of things from SG, (gun bag, boots, & desicant). The only thing on their web site was that I had to be 21 years old.
No mention of no shipping to Mass. Note that all the understandable? AG prohibited items had a clear note at the bottom, "No Shipping to Mass."

I kinda added the desicant to the order, just to test the list posted above.
The mean SOB that I am.

Of course they took my order, charged my credit card, only when I received my order did I find that the desicant was not shipped, and I had a little note inside the box that told me that it was illegal to ship to my state. Yes, they later credited my credit card with the $8.

I wrote them a nice note about their poor sales policy. Of course, I got no reply from the company about why desicant is on the "no ship" list.

So, my complaint is more than there overzealous complaince with the MASS AG, but their lack of being up front on their web site or in their catalogs. If this "not shippable to MA" note was everywhere in their catalog, then at least they would be telling the rest of the US about like in the PR of MA.
Nothing new, just another reconfirming story so that people will not buy from SG in the future.

I called these turkeys about 2-3 years ago and told them that since they wouldn't ship anything I wanted to buy, they should take me off their list. I also gave them hell for the things they wouldn't ship, too... but the only result was to make ME feel better.

Ross

There's more Sportman's will not ship ANY knifes to Mass. And here is the stupidest thing ever. I tried ordering some dispoable razors for shaving and they would not ship them to MASS. They just SUCK !

Dan in Boston

Dan,

They aren't worth wasting our time attempting to order from them!

The list of what they won't sell here consists of a lot of ridiculous stuff that is totally uncontrolled, anyone can buy in just about any store in MA!

NEtracker said:
Yup, I tried to order a folding camp saw, and was denied the purchase.
No common sense at SG.
I know....I might "saw" someone??!

What a bunch of asshats. NEt, just call them up, ask for customer service and tell them to stop mailing you stuff. When they act surprised, just tell them that since they haven't bothered to actually research what they can sell to MA residents, you don't want to do ANY business with them.

That's what I did... got tired of being teased.

Ross

Back
Top Bottom