• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sportsmans Trading Co. Bad deal?

Sorry for the late reply, we're still alive and as far as we can tell everything is in order. We inspected the gun thoroughly at the shop, he had the correct SKU (WAP78013) and all the serials matched up. There are minor brass markings on the breech as expected from test firing, and no other signs of wear. Either its new or he's extremely experienced at selling used guns, which I don't believe he has the skill for. So, I'm glad I got the right thing but I could have gotten all of it at much better price. Overall I'm just thankful to be done with the BS from this guy. So to make up for the difference I'll be spreading the word about his high prices and BS service.

Thanks for all the support guys, I'll be firing off a few rounds for ya - gotta get rid of this shit ammo.

Also, big al did not include the "Youth Handgun Safety Act Notice" pamphlet. I do not know if it is required by law to provide this with a handgun purchase. Rileys also includes a red pamphlet on firearm safety. Big al did not include that one as well. I am not sure if those pamphlets are required by law to be provided. I will say I was provided them for my handgun purchase at Rileys and the red one was given to me for both my rifle purchases.

Also, big al did not include the "Youth Handgun Safety Act Notice" pamphlet. I do not know if it is required by law to provide this with a handgun purchase. Rileys also includes a red pamphlet on firearm safety. Big al did not include that one as well. I am not sure if those pamphlets are required by law to be provided. I will say I was provided them for my handgun purchase at Rileys and the red one was given to me for both my rifle purchases.

The yellow BATFE one is required by federal law, IIRC.... but it wouldn't surprise me if some dealers forget to give the things out. They just go right in the trash when I get home anyways, so the whole thing is sort of pointless.

ETA: BTW, glad you escaped mostly unscathed. At least you got a gun, albeit an expensive one.... better than getting -completely- jerked around.

-Mike

You guys say he made out ok on it, but IMO he got completely ripped off. [thinking]

He still got taken for a ride but given this guy's history he made out a LOT better than most. Al routinely jerks people around on a gun for MONTHS at a time, all while holding onto that person's deposit or whatever.

-Mike

Here is a picture of the breech:

this a gun that is supposedly only been fired 6-10 times at Smith and Wesson.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/soloman02/p99.jpg

The gun appeared new, there were what appeared to be metal filing in certain areas from the milling process. The barrel did not have much fouling. We put a dry cotton patch through and it came out with very little residue.

So, I don't know if it is used. Either way, He was taken for a ride and hopefully will never be taken for one again.

Also, I called Fox ridge and this SKU is on backorder across the US with a shipment coming in in late October. So big al may very well have gotten a used one. He claims he got it directly from SW, but I think that is BS. If he did get a used one, it is in excellent condition.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the breech:

this a gun that is supposedly only been fired 6-10 times at Smith and Wesson.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/soloman02/p99.jpg

The gun appeared new, there were what appeared to be metal filing in certain areas from the milling process. The barrel did not have much fouling. We put a dry cotton patch through and it came out with very little residue.

So, I don't know if it is used. Either way, He was taken for a ride and hopefully will never be taken for one again.

Also, I called Fox ridge and this SKU is on backorder across the US with a shipment coming in in late October. So big al may very well have gotten a used one. He claims he got it directly from SW, but I think that is BS. If he did get a used one, it is in excellent condition.

Looks suspect.
Any more pics?

Those are a lot of brass marks for a new gun. Course, you don't really know how much the factory fired it. I presume it came with the S+W box (with the serial number on it) and still has the fired case in the little pouch and all that? What about the little piece of S+W wax paper? (Most people throw this away, so if it was there the likelihood of it being new is pretty high).

-Mike

Yes, it came in the box with all the serials and the SKU, it has the fired casing and the test target. Now I didn't see any wax paper but I'm assuming the guy opened it when it arrived to verify it was what he ordered. He could have tossed it but that could also be a long shot.

You guys say he made out ok on it, but IMO he got completely ripped off. [thinking]

When I said he'd be doing "ok", I meant that if he got a new gun at an expensive price, he'd be in much better shape than having to wait months and months while being given the run around. I think just about everyone has overpaid for something for one reason or another at some point. The guy wanted a specific gun and if he got it he should try to put the hassle behind him and enjoy it. Al has certainly screwed other much worse than this poor guy, so all-in-all, the end result is "ok" - not great or good, but ok.

The yellow BATFE one is required by federal law, IIRC.... but it wouldn't surprise me if some dealers forget to give the things out. They just go right in the trash when I get home anyways, so the whole thing is sort of pointless.
My dealer always hands me one, and then offers to "throw it away for me if I don't want it." It then goes back onto the stack. Honest to God, I think he only has one.[laugh]

The Youth Handgun Safety Act Notice only has to be available, I keep a stack at the end of my counter for anyone to take. The red safety pamphlet is something we hand out that basically says "don't shoot your eye out kid" - and is available through the NRA.

Smith & Wesson is not dealer direct - the gun must have come through a distributor. Camfour in Westfield most likely.

I'm glad everything worked out for you - always do some homework when you buy anything in life,and consider price/quality & service.
J
PS: Enjoy your new pistol !!!!

Smith & Wesson is not dealer direct - the gun must have come through a distributor. Camfour in Westfield most likely.
Why, Jim! I'm surprised at you. You KNOW Al got it from his "warehouse!" [smile][wink]

To the buyer: Looks like in the end you paid a premium to get a backordered gun today. Hey, sometimes that's worth it. Only you can say if it was worth it to you to pay some extra to get it now. Enjoy it and write the runaround off as a learning experience.

Yes, it came in the box with all the serials and the SKU, it has the fired casing and the test target. Now I didn't see any wax paper but I'm assuming the guy opened it when it arrived to verify it was what he ordered. He could have tossed it but that could also be a long shot.

Sounds like a used gun to me. Especially with all those markings on the breech. If you're REALLY curious to know, I think you can drop the money on S&W to find out who the first owner was. At least, you used to be able to do that.

Or you could just take it to the range and shoot it and enjoy your first gun. And reflect that it was a comparatively cheap lesson teaching you to do some research FIRST. Don't sweat it too much; everyone has to learn that lesson one way or another.

If anybody is going to go there PLEASE email me and give me the heads up. I am five minutes away and I hate this guy. Would love to see the fireworks.

no wax paper = it's not new. hell, the S&W boxes from guns I bought years ago still have the wax paper in them. no dealer ever discards that.

Maybe so but after putting about 120 rounds through it, we can see the brass marks on the slide from the ejection process. Also, the brass on the breech is much more solid looking. Even after the first couple of mags, there were some nicks from the brass being ejected. There were no nicks before we started shooting. So maybe the gun was "used." That the previous owner bought it and either fired one mag through and decided they didn't like it, or the previous owner returned it unfired.

Yea he may have been burned on the price but like others have said, you gotta learn the lesson some time and sooner is better than later.

Also the "Independence" brass has blazer written on it. I've never had issues with Blazer my self. We have had two fail to feeds so far with about 120 rounds through it and no cleaning. We did oil the outside barrel, the spring on the guide rod, and where the slide meets the frame.

I fired 100 rounds of Independence .40 S&W a week ago at the Gunpowder Pig, and I didn't have any problems with it. Not that 100 rounds is a comprehensive test or anything.

gun

If you really wanted to find out you could call ATF and have them trace the gun.It appears that you all have much money to spend and the itch to do so.
that is a terrable disease as it causes you to stumble in to the clutches of ripoffs.a call to better business would allso be a choice as they dont do any thing but do have lists.

If you really wanted to find out you could call ATF and have them trace the gun.

BATFE does not trace firearms outside of doing it for LE investigations- and even then, there has to be adequate justification for conducting the trace. It's not a trivial matter to conduct a trace on a firearm.

-Mike

I fired 100 rounds of Independence .40 S&W a week ago at the Gunpowder Pig, and I didn't have any problems with it. Not that 100 rounds is a comprehensive test or anything.

i have run about 500-600 rounds of independence through my glock without any issues. its not that bad

Back
Top Bottom