• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sportsmans Trading Co. Bad deal?

Apparently, my friend wasn't entirely stupid, he paid $400 in cash, and the rest was on the card. He called the card company to put a hold on the charge but they wouldn't put the hold on since the vendor has to agree as well which doesn't make sense to me.

He used a citizens visa check card as credit.

Run away fast, kicking myself for being an idiot. How many times do you have to stick your finger in the light socket before you figure out it's not a smart thing to do?

You weren't that stupid. You didn't drop money in his store. You made out a lot better than most. [laugh]

-Mike

Sorry to say this but your friend is being taken for the ride of a lifetime.

The P99QA is typically a <$600 gun. And that's on a bad day- you can often find barely used ones for less than that. (I wouldn't pay you 2 cents for a QA, but that's another story for another thread. )

I think I finally found a shop that is truly worse than the gun room. [laugh]

I'm starting to lose count of the people that have said me "Whatever you do don't go to that f**king guy in Amherst. What an arrogant ass... "

Even if you do manage to get the 1000 rounds out of him, your friend is still
getting screwed.

He used a citizens visa check card as credit.

That's not a true credit card and may not have the same level of protections as a real card does.

-Mike

Last edited:
Sorry to say this but your friend is being taken for the ride of a lifetime.

The P99QA is typically a <$600 gun. And that's on a bad day- you can often find barely used ones for less than that. (I wouldn't pay you 2 cents for a QA, but that's another story for another thread. )

I think I finally found a shop that is truly worse than the gun room. [laugh]

I'm starting to lose count of the people that have said me "Whatever you do don't go to that f**king guy in Amherst. What an arrogant ass... "

Even if you do manage to get the 1000 rounds out of him, your friend is still
getting screwed.

That's not a true credit card and may not have the same level of protections as a real card does.

-Mike

I was mistaken on the credit card thing. He has 30 days to dispute the charge (he called citizen about it). Al hasn't even charged it yet.

While I wasn't taken, I wish I knew what I know now before hand. i could have saved my buddy a whole lot of headache.

Next time you need a gun, call John at Chester Arms. His website is www.chesterarmsllc.com

He runs a small shop connected to his house, has excellent prices and is honest as the day is long. I can't recommend him highly enough.

If he doesn't have something in stock he can get it from Davidson's.

My friend has been on the phone with this guy, and it is really clear that he is a compulsive liar. He is claiming that the P99QA that Fox Ridge sells is a different gun even though the SKU is the same: WAP78013. It's too bad he never gave a lawyer a ride. He would have had so much crap thrown at him. As it is, my friend is thinking of taking him to small claims court over the 400 cash should all else fail, which by the sound of things, will be what happens.

Really, everybody should just go separately and post their own stories about him.

Basically, the guy is an over-bearing used car salesman who happens to be selling guns. In his case he could be selling anything. It wouldn't matter.

Even though I would never go back, I've been treated a lot worse in many other stores.

At least he actually talks to you. I've been in so many places where you are treated like a shoplifter

this is the girlfriend of the "friend" here. this guy is nuts! all the bullshit he fed him for 3 days now is ridiculous!!!

just curious, why wouldn't u pay 2 cents for this gun? just want to pass on the information.

Last edited:
this is the girlfriend of the "friend" here. this guy is nuts! all the bullshit he fed him for 3 days now is **** ridiculous!!!

just curious, why wouldn't u pay 2 cents for this gun? just want to pass on the information.

Sorry you guys had to go through this. A little time spent here would have saved a world of headaches.

Also, lose the potty mouth. It isn't becoming for a lady.

Last edited by a moderator:
well i'm sorry. i'm just really upset.

Understood, but please take a bit to read the rules on posting. In a nutshell, don't post anything you wouldn't want the forum owners (Derek) 8 year old to read. Everything can be said without using foul language. If you read the reviews of this gun shop, everything that you guys are going through has been rehashed a hundred times over. It's buyer beware at Sportsmans.

I'm still waiting on a 1911 ordered 7/18/09, I was told 7-10 days when I placed the order (used a CC) and as of just under 2 months later I am still twittling my thumbs, I made the same mistake, did my research on the gun, not on the dealer.

For future purposes I have had good luck so far at MFL and I've heard nothing but good things about Riley's.

I'm still waiting on a 1911 ordered 7/18/09, I was told 7-10 days when I placed the order (used a CC) and as of just under 2 months later I am still twittling my thumbs, I made the same mistake, did my research on the gun, not on the dealer.

For future purposes I have had good luck so far at MFL and I've heard nothing but good things about Riley's.

I have bought two guns at Rileys. The staff was friendly and answered the questions I had. I did my research on the guns so I knew what I was getting. I was there today asking about how to tell if a gun has been fired (I still think Al is gonna try to pawn a used gun as new) and the guy kind of avoided my question.

Welcome to the forum. I can understand being upset. If the buyer gets the gun he wants, ultimately the price will become secondary. Whether you're the buyer or the seller everyone makes mistakes. A couple of good trips with it to the range will make the cost much less important. Consider it just one of life's lessons. Painful, but true. [sad]

I have guns that I really like that I paid too much for, but it was what I wanted at the time I wanted it. It happens, not just with guns but with cars, boats, anything really. You'll find a wealth of info on this forum. Take advantage of it for future use. I really hope things work out for your friend.

I've never seen the place...but if its by Joey's I could walk there!

Glad I haven't!

I enjoy going to Fox Ridge Outfitters or Rileys. I hear State Line is great as well...

I'm thinking of recording the whole thing with my blackberry when we go to pick up my friends gun. If I can tell if the gun is used or if it is the pre 2004 model, I'm gonna let this guy have it. In either case it'll be false advertising and bait and switch. I'd prefer to avoid confrontation so I hope it is not used or the pre 2004 model.

I'm thinking of recording the whole thing with my blackberry when we go to pick up my friends gun. If I can tell if the gun is used or if it is the pre 2004 model, I'm gonna let this guy have it. In either case it'll be false advertising and bait and switch. I'd prefer to avoid confrontation so I hope it is not used or the pre 2004 model.

Sorry but from what has been posted so far the guy is full of it. BTW not sure of the legality of recording but it would be as funny as hell.

Back
Top Bottom