Sporting restriction REMOVED!!!

So, a few months ago I took a stab in the dark and emailed my chief pleading for my restriction to be removed. Never heard back, then unfortunately he passed away. Other than restrictiong licenses, he really was a good chief. I respectfully waited a few weeks then sent the same email to the new interim chief and after a couple weeks I figured it was a no go. Then my new unrestricted license showed up today out of the blue! Now, what to buy?!?!?

Congratulations. I always wonder how people know whether their Chief is good or not good. I live in a very large community and have little to no interaction with the police - almost ever.

Glock 19
AR-15
Remington 1911
S&W 686
10/22
MK III Target

And a 24 gun safe that you will think is ridiculous but will be stuffed with guns and ammo in 12 months or less.

That will get you started. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
I contacted my PD about getting my sporting restriction removed. Spoke to the Lieutenant in charge of LTCs, and he was friendly and optimistic about getting it done. Then came the other shoe: he's buried in new apps and basically asked me to give him a couple of months to work his way through the mountain of apps on his desk. What was I going to say - F you do it now? I thanked him for his time and told him I'd reach out again in a couple of months. Sigh.

So, a few months ago I took a stab in the dark and emailed my chief pleading for my restriction to be removed. Never heard back, then unfortunately he passed away. Other than restrictiong licenses, he really was a good chief. I respectfully waited a few weeks then sent the same email to the new interim chief and after a couple weeks I figured it was a no go. Then my new unrestricted license showed up today out of the blue! Now, what to buy?!?!?

congrats Bill. Great news. I heard a rumor also that new licenses were now being issued without restrictions from NB. But just still a rumor until we know for sure. Hopefully things have changed in the city in that aspect.

I contacted my PD about getting my sporting restriction removed. Spoke to the Lieutenant in charge of LTCs, and he was friendly and optimistic about getting it done. Then came the other shoe: he's buried in new apps and basically asked me to give him a couple of months to work his way through the mountain of apps on his desk. What was I going to say - F you do it now? I thanked him for his time and told him I'd reach out again in a couple of months. Sigh.
The removal of a restriction is a very small job compared to processing an application. The licensing officer logs onto MIRCS; changes the restriction on your license in the control panel; orders a new license; and calls you to pick it up when it arrives.

I would suggest you write the officer a letter thanking him for his consideration, and mentioning that you would be making an appointment with him in two months time to finalize the upgrade. Chances are pretty good the reaction will be "oh shit, this pain in the ass, I'd better take care of it now so I don't have to keep dealing with him".

Anything good in stock Charlie? I'll have a tax refund to spend in a couple weeks!

congrats Bill. Great news. I heard a rumor also that new licenses were now being issued without restrictions from NB. But just still a rumor until we know for sure. Hopefully things have changed in the city in that aspect.

The removal of a restriction is a very small job compared to processing an application. The licensing officer logs onto MIRCS; changes the restriction on your license in the control panel; orders a new license; and calls you to pick it up when it arrives.

This. When my brother had his restrictions removed, he called the chief after he had his LTC for one year and said he wanted his restriction removed. They said they would get back to him. One week later. He got his unrestricted LTC in the mail. No paperwork, no red tape.

I was surprised just how little was involved given the hoopla he went through to get the restricted LTC.

I would suggest you write the officer a letter thanking him for his consideration, and mentioning that you would be making an appointment with him in two months time to finalize the upgrade. Chances are pretty good the reaction will be "oh shit, this pain in the ass, I'd better take care of it now so I don't have to keep dealing with him".

Imagine having to write you police chief groveling about exercising other constitutional rights.

Back
Top Bottom