Sporterized Mauser Markings

Artie

NES Member
Friend sent me a couple pics to help ID a rifle. I do not have any experience w/ MilSurp rifles but after quick research it looks like a Sporterized German Mauser. I do not have access to it so the pics are all I have at the moment. My question is what does the shield represent and can any info be obtained from the serial and the stamped "T"? He wants to know if it is worth getting another stock and holding onto it. He isn't inclined to disassemble so until I see him again, I cannot give any further info on condition or other markings. I do see that most sporterized Mausers are around $300 so it cant be worth much. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Ouch. I don't have enough information to help without more detailed pictures.

Initial impression is a DOT or DOU produced barrel, WW2 German (Eagle proof). The 'T" is part of the serial number; the Germans produced rifles in blocks of 10,000 - then a, b, etc.

A simple stock is OK if he wants to shoot it. You're right in that its about a $300 rifle.

T

Last edited:
Met up with my buddy and finally got more pics of the Mauser. Took pics of all the markings. The only marking on the receiver is "WaA623" which the internet says is a Steyer made Mauser? Everything has a "40" on it, even the screws are stamped on them. He wants me to find him a stock so he can shoot it. Any help with a place to get a decent stock for this rifle? Other question is how do I know what caliber it is? The barrel is stepped but only 23 3/4. No caliber anywhere on it. Also looks like it was cut at the chamber and soldered back? I don't know because the chamber area at the receiver has markings but it was sporterized. Any help or direction on how to figure out the caliber. Her are some pics, got a bunch more if it matters:
ygqYG8B.jpg

sVpJpC5.jpg

5AhpxSp.jpg

WhJE0np.jpg

retXQLQ.jpg

tTe7Jfq.jpg

LOIRKlG.jpg

Last edited:
You can do a chamber casting and measure the casting. That could be a 7 mm mauser.
Are the scope mounts soldered on or screwed on ? Might be some more markings under them.
The stock should not be to hard to replace.
I'm not good enough to tell you if that's a small or large ring mauser. Sporter stocks can be found for the many different mauser type actions.
You could probably find something cheap on ebay or poke around local gun shops.

Last edited:
Scope mounts were screwed on, nothing under them. I measured it out as a large ring, per the internet. I will look at how to do a casting or see if it is an affordable thing to have a smith do. It is on my buddies dime and just may not be worth it due to rust/condition/bubbafication. I did break it completely down and oiled the hell out of it. Seems to be mechanically good

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You can chamber cast it yourself and you might be right more money than it's worth.
I have used drill bit shanks to get an idea of the bore size at the muzzle.
A soft lead egg shaped fishing weight can be pushed through the bore to measure that way also.

FWIW

My dad has a sporterized Mauser that was a battle field pickup. The stock had been butchered by the previous owner so he needed a replacement. Surprisingly he found a walnut sporter stock on eBay that was very reasonable. With a little fitting he has turned it into a nice 8MM rifle.

Bob

As best as I can tell with my dial calipers and Lyman book, looks like 8mm. Met up with mac1911 today and he gave me a stock to work with. +1, thanks.

WBlxl7l.jpg

As best as I can tell with my dial calipers and Lyman book, looks like 8mm. Met up with mac1911 today and he gave me a stock to work with. +1, thanks.

WBlxl7l.jpg

Nice. I like using chamber castings on unknown bores. It's fun and they make cool trinkets or can be used again.
Wish the bore camera fit a bit better.
I think that rifle just might clean up and shoot better than it looks...fun project. Also if you reload you can use some light loads with H4895 or trail boss. You also have cast bullet options.
I run a 200 grain cast bullet from my crusty bore K98. I might have some 8mm yugo 1980s kicking around if your interested?

broke the rifle down and did the electrolysis for about 7 hours. Rinsed off and liberally applied wd40. Cleaned everything down with hoppes and then wiped down with gun oil. No rust and a couple more markingd popped out. it is a BNZ 45 reciever. Bore looks great. the stock will require some fitting so that is my next chore. now to watch some vids on inletting.

broke the rifle down and did the electrolysis for about 7 hours. Rinsed off and liberally applied wd40. Cleaned everything down with hoppes and then wiped down with gun oil. No rust and a couple more markingd popped out. it is a BNZ 45 reciever. Bore looks great. the stock will require some fitting so that is my next chore. now to watch some vids on inletting.

have you ordered the hot blueing kit from brownells yet[smile]
from what I did see with the bore cam the bore looked decent,,,,about the last 1/2" of muzzle was a bit rough but the crown looked good. I had the wrong glasses on to really tell.

That may be the next project. The things you can learn from an old rusty milsurp. Appreciate all the help and direction.

yes and the cost is far more than they are worth to tinker and fix them up .....but its fun.
I started getting into blueing and parkerizing before the kids where born. I never got further than small part set up (stove top) i just lost the last of my park solution when the jug gave out and leaked all over my shed...

Met up with my buddy and finally got more pics of the Mauser. Took pics of all the markings. The only marking on the receiver is "WaA623" which the internet says is a Steyer made Mauser? Everything has a "40" on it, even the screws are stamped on them. He wants me to find him a stock so he can shoot it. Any help with a place to get a decent stock for this rifle? Other question is how do I know what caliber it is? The barrel is stepped but only 23 3/4. No caliber anywhere on it. Also looks like it was cut at the chamber and soldered back? I don't know because the chamber area at the receiver has markings but it was sporterized. Any help or direction on how to figure out the caliber. Her are some pics, got a bunch more if it matters:
ygqYG8B.jpg

sVpJpC5.jpg

5AhpxSp.jpg

WhJE0np.jpg

retXQLQ.jpg

tTe7Jfq.jpg

LOIRKlG.jpg

I had my eyes on this rifle and it does not looked bubba'd up. The sling swivel and front sight look very well installed possible silver solder and the patina matches very well. Not so much for the bolt stop, trigger or the scope mounts.
is it possible this was built by mauser as it sits ?

poking around I found this although they don't list a 8mm {323} cartridge there is a lot in common with what you have. The sling swivel and front sight for starters

poking around I found this although they don't list a 8mm {323} cartridge there is a lot in common with what you have. The sling swivel and front sight for starters
What did you find? No link or pic. Thanks

What Caliber?

That is awesome info, +1. Front sling and site look just like the rifles in the article. Now the predicament is, what caliber do I have. The best I could tell was that it was 8mm Mauser from Lyman and my "analog" dial calipers. Now looking at the articles you linked, they didn't build them in 8mm but a multitude of other calibers. I have attached a pic of the casting with some measurements. What do you think the caliber is? Thanks

attachment.php

Attachments

• Casting1.JPG
    Casting1.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 89
That is awesome info, +1. Front sling and site look just like the rifles in the article. Now the predicament is, what caliber do I have. The best I could tell was that it was 8mm Mauser from Lyman and my "analog" dial calipers. Now looking at the articles you linked, they didn't build them in 8mm but a multitude of other calibers. I have attached a pic of the casting with some measurements. What do you think the caliber is? Thanks

attachment.php

Throat. Is .32? Would lead me to believe it's 8mm?
Maybe take a casting of the muzzle end and get some groove and land specs.

Throat. Is .32? Would lead me to believe it's 8mm?
Maybe take a casting of the muzzle end and get some groove and land specs.
The casting is 0.326 for the barrel's grooves and 0.314 for the lands
523216c266569984e6c2efc7294787ca.jpg

Last edited:
I failed miserably at trying to fit the stock that mac1911 gave me. I owe him a beer...or bunch, for his help.

Saturday I went gun shop cruising to see if I could find a "bin-o-stocks" but didn't have any luck:

Competition Shooting Supplies - Pawtucket, RI
Lost Treasures - Pawtucket, RI
Gartman Arms - Wrentham
The Gunrunner - Middleboro
Outback Arms - Plympton
Fat Cat Sports - Bridgewater
Bay State Trading Post - Rehoboth

Talked with shop staff and most said wait till a gun show. I was also pointed to SARCO, Inc. and Hoosier Gun Works. Have found some on ebay too but would rather find it local so i can see if it fits. Anyone know of a shop in MA or RI that may have stocks? Hoping to find something that I don't have to fit (screw up). Thanks

Back
Top Bottom