1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

(Spoilers) Star Wars Rogue one movie talk (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Queen Bee, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Queen Bee

Queen Bee NES Member

I absolutely loved this more than episode 7, there were moments that made me grin a smile and brought me back to the days when i had watched the original three films.

what were your favorite points in the film?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

2. CobaltBlueSteel

CobaltBlueSteel NES Member

Huuuhhhhhh... that last scene with Darth Vader brutalizing everyone. How about that?

Maybe move "spoilers" to the front of the title. Don't need anyone whining.

3. Queen Bee

Queen Bee NES Member

that scene was amazing , it worked into new hope so well.

i loved the little cameo's :)

4. Dexion1619

Dexion1619

Agreed. This was way better than 7. Hell, I think it was better than 6 too be honest.

5. CobaltBlueSteel

I'm happy it filled that odd plot hole about this super weapon having a huge design flaw. All the cameos were great. CGI'd Tarken and Leia were odd but acceptable. The modified "AR-15" blasters were great symbolism to tie in a nice 2A message of rebels against tyranny. K2 is the best droid ever.

I didn't like the typical "target the base", Death Star plot conveniently misses a bit to give the two main characters a minute to have a special moment. I understand it's for the plot, but come on... tie it up with "targeting computer needs calibration" or something.

Also, Jyn Erso was a bit weird development-wise and she was a bit emotionally cold, but I liked her better than Rey (Ep. VII).

6. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Just saw it this afternoon at a work event.

Thought it was pretty good - seemed like more of an "adult" film than most of the other episodes.

7. Queen Bee

Queen Bee NES Member

with all the reshoots because originally she was dark and cold , they wanted to make her more likeable with the redesign of the entire film.

8. CobaltBlueSteel

Geez...she was even colder originally?!

9. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Her mother was killed, her father was abducted - and the movie shows her being released from a prison truck - and she knows how to fight pretty well for a young woman (indicating a not-very "safe" life) - is she supposed to be all bubbly and perky and clutching a pink stuffed bear?

10. Queen Bee

Queen Bee NES Member

this film was going to be a very dark and gritty film . but they changed it

11. EC1

EC1 NES Member

liked it but didn't love it.

12. CobaltBlueSteel

She was very monotonous in delivering her performance. Not looking for bubbly and perky and clutching a pink stuffed bear. [rolleyes] Not looking for soap opera, overacting either. Just someone not seemingly on Xanax. Yeah, she had a few moments where she broke through, but compared to everyone else that seemed like they were all in... no.

13. Queen Bee

Queen Bee NES Member

you didn't love the third act ?

14. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Deapool made a ton of money being funny.
    Suicide squad was a major bomb, lost their shirts, because it was so dark.

Which way would YOU do star wars knowing tht?

15. CobaltBlueSteel

Deadpool made a ton of money by being true to the source material.
    Suicide Squad was a major bomb because it wasn't true to the source material.

This was a Star Wars movie through and through, hitting pretty much every Star Wars trope... except for no opening crawl, which was unfortunate, but I forgot it was missing after a few minutes.

16. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Sweet, I'll see it next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Dude, I heard Darth Vader is Luke's dad!

18. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    Luke Who?

Leah and her dad were in it, and a mention of Captain Antilles. Tarkan was dead on. Of course Vader. Quick cameo of R2D2 and C3PO. Many rebel pilots from New Hope appear. Rebel Council has plenty of familiar faces too.

I kind of like this idea of telling other stories in the Stars Wars universe. We know the main arc, but there have to be hundreds of cool back stories that can be told.

Only thing that was missing was the many Bothan spies that died getting the plans to Leah.

The lack of an opening crawl did feel really odd. But then this wasn't a main arc story.

Ok, anyone want to guess how much power it takes to hover a Star Destroyer over a city like that? I don't care what kind of method it used, that is some serious force.

sent from a Speak and Spell connected to a phonograph equipped with a saw blade, fork, and umbrella.

19. qqac

qqac

The Vader fight scene was good, but the rest of the film was lame, hollow, and horribly acted.

20. mg42doc

mg42doc

didnt the Bothans steal the plans for the 2nd death star?

and

I thought the exact same thing when I saw that ship hovering there...

21. dogdoctor

dogdoctor

We really liked it too. Loved the humor in spots and all the little cameos and character integrations drawn from the previous movies. I was so ready for another "Star Wars" crawl - that it was kind of a let down to not see that after the LucasFilm logo. But as you aptly stated...it's quickly forgotten. I'll just have to wait until December 2017. The script was very well written, and seeing it tie so seamlessly into Episode IV was just plain fun to watch. Who doesn't love the Vader sequence?

22. crazymjb

crazymjb

I saw it with a friend and we really enjoyed it. Definitely a darker tone. I had no issues with the acting. Some cool easter eggs in there as well. Also crazy that they brought some old cast back to life. I think Tarking was entirely CGI, but you couldnt tell watching it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

23. EC1

EC1 NES Member

two things disappointed me, first the beginning was like looking at an atlas flipping the pages and only seeing the names at the top of the page, second and for this I will need to rewatch episode IV I thought I remembered the plans directly sent to Leia's ship and not to the ship carrying her diplomatic ship. A diplomatic ship in a rebel fleet would have difficulty claiming diplomatic priviledges

24. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    You are correct. The scene with Vader choking the rebel and questioning him at the start of New Hope specifically makes it sound like they had intercepted directly, not escaped with. And then later when questioning Leah, Vader says "several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies, I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you". I guess you could argue they were the escaping ship from the one that did receive. Still, I agree that Vader would have been far more certain. Although the card Leah put into R2 and the one the Rebel gives Leah seen similar. So, maybe being the last copy of the Death Star plans, it was important to get that card back.

I was wondering how they were going to use the Death Star but not blow up an entire planet as Alderan was the first. The "low power mode" was a cheap way out.

And what is it with Star Wars and desert planets?

Anyone else wonder about that ship the rebels used from the first to second act? Seemed like the wings extended randomly. And what is it with Star Wars and all the folding wings that are useless in space?

25. spcantwell

spcantwell NES Member

I said it before and I'll say it again...
    There is but one 'rouge one' and his name is Wedge Antilles... Yub, Yub commander...

1 person likes this.
  26. CobaltBlueSteel

For desert planets it's probably a mix of science fiction and if there's little to no natural life on a terrestrial planet, it's going to be just sand.

Smaller Star Wars ships tend to change wing configuration during take off or landing, entering hyperspace, entering combat.

27. jkelly1229

jkelly1229

Its like the Bible lol because later when they mass for the attack I believe they say something to the affect of a lot of good men had to die for these plans

meaning there are many interpretations and some things said that contradicts

28. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Rouge vs. Rogue, the difference between gay and not gay.

1 person likes this.
  29. soloman02

soloman02 NES Member

The X-Wing series was always a favorite of mine.

I saw it opening night. It was awesome. I was not expecting everyone to die though... I also noticed how some of the scenes in the trailers were not used at all. Like the tie fighter looking down on Jyn and Jyn and others running across the beach into the oncoming fire of an AT-AT.

Also Leia was not fully CGI. She was played by a real person with makeup and CGI added in. Same for Tarkin.

http://moviepilot.com/p/rogue-one-created-digital-characters-leia-tarkin/4170734

Also was it just me or did Vader's helmet seem to be dull and not shiny enough?

30. silversquirrel

silversquirrel NES Member

There is a dirty joke in there somewhere....