• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Spending 18 months in a free state, what should I buy?

Hey all. In a couple months I'll be on PCS orders to the great state of Alabama until approximately Summer '21. For that time I'll get to enjoy buying things that are difficult to get behind enemy lines here in the the PRM. Obviously super-killy assault weapons cannot be brought back home with me, but I can get handguns as well as pistols that would be "assault pistols" that can then be SBR'd and brought back home as compliant SBRs. I know there are places to get pistols here, but usually there is a premium. I also have some hook-ups with friends who can get me friends and family discounts (50% off MSRP) at a couple manufacturers, but said unnamed manufacturers wouldn't ship a lot of what I was interested in to MA, so I've been waiting until I move. I'm budgeting more than I normally would for firearms for this year that I'm gone. Here's what I'm thinking so far

1. CZ Scorpion Pistol (to SBR)
2. MPX-K (to SBR)
3. P365
4. Glock 20
5. Gen 5 G19 (then I'll sell my Gen 4 when I get home)

What else should I be thinking about? I've thought about a FiveSeven just for the novelty. I'm not a huge handgun guy. I shoot my G19 and my (wife's) shield pretty much exclusively as far as pistol goes.

If it looks like Trump is going to lose the election (which I doubt) I'll buy a bunch of mags to keep at a friends place in a free state.

Don't forget to notify MA (town and FRB) that you're changing your state of residence. Once you get your Alabama driver's license (or other proof of residency) go nuts!

I'm not. PCS orders allow you to buy in said state while not changing your residence. We are keeping (and renting to a friend) our house up here and my LTC is valid in AL.
Ah, I didn't know what a PCS order was, I figured it was a (civilian) work thing.

I'd focus on revolvers personally since anything semi-auto can be had in MA pretty easily, but revolvers are a lot harder, for reasons I won't elaborate because those who know, know.

Last edited:
Hey all. In a couple months I'll be on PCS orders to the great state of Alabama until approximately Summer '21. For that time I'll get to enjoy buying things that are difficult to get behind enemy lines here in the the PRM. Obviously super-killy assault weapons cannot be brought back home with me, but I can get handguns as well as pistols that would be "assault pistols" that can then be SBR'd and brought back home as compliant SBRs. I know there are places to get pistols here, but usually there is a premium. I also have some hook-ups with friends who can get me friends and family discounts (50% off MSRP) at a couple manufacturers, but said unnamed manufacturers wouldn't ship a lot of what I was interested in to MA, so I've been waiting until I move. I'm budgeting more than I normally would for firearms for this year that I'm gone. Here's what I'm thinking so far

1. CZ Scorpion Pistol (to SBR)
2. MPX-K (to SBR)
3. P365
4. Glock 20
5. Gen 5 G19 (then I'll sell my Gen 4 when I get home)

What else should I be thinking about? I've thought about a FiveSeven just for the novelty. I'm not a huge handgun guy. I shoot my G19 and my (wife's) shield pretty much exclusively as far as pistol goes.

If it looks like Trump is going to lose the election (which I doubt) I'll buy a bunch of mags to keep at a friends place in a free state.
Good choice! After you get your Alabama driver's license, be sure to visit your county sheriff's office to get your pistol license, which is reciprocal with at least 23 other states. Carry your folding knife in your back pocket. If it fits the pocket, it is legal. There are no local ordinances in Alabama against knives or firearms that you have to worry about. If you purchase a home, put it in an irrevocable trust, because Alabama homestead exemption laws are woefully out of date and only protect about $15K worth of equity in your home. You will love Alabama. Plenty of good hunting and fishing. A saltwater fishing license covers all of Mobile Bay and all intracoastal waterways.

Ah, I didn't know what a PCS order was, I figured it was a (civilian) work thing.

I'd focus on revolvers personally since anything semi-auto can be had in MA pretty easily, but revolvers are a lot harder, for reasons I won't elaborate because those know, know.
Im not going to elaborate either, but curious if single action revolvers could be had the same way 🤔

Don't forget to notify MA (town and FRB) that you're changing your state of residence. Once you get your Alabama driver's license (or other proof of residency) go nuts!

If you're not dumping ma residence there's no requirement to do this. Dualies maintain MA resident ltc all the time.

To answer the OPs question......

-Any healyban shit- AR, AK, etc. Or as you suggest, ar/ak/mp5/skorp pistol to SBR

Outside of that? meh. Not even worth it on any normal handgun etc.

Im not going to elaborate either, but curious if single action revolvers could be had the same way 🤔

yes, it's just a matter of getting the remote to play ball.

The reason I have a handful of handguns I’d like is I can get them from 2 major manufacturers for 50% off msrp. Has to be from the company though, and they wouldn’t ship non mass stuff to mass FFLs.

I wonder if I can get a deal on a 10 pack of lowers.

A Mossberg Shockwave or Remington Tac 14.
When they pop up for sale here in Mass, they go for 3 times free state prices, plus they can be SBSd

18 months in Alabama? Sunscreen and Gatorade. For at least 6 months of the year, Bama is like Africa hot.

As suggested, off list revolvers would likely bring the biggest return along with preban magazines. Good luck at your new station. Enjoy the freedom.

The reason I have a handful of handguns I’d like is I can get them from 2 major manufacturers for 50% off msrp. Has to be from the company though, and they wouldn’t ship non mass stuff to mass FFLs.

I wonder if I can get a deal on a 10 pack of lowers.
I see 50% off MSRP.
I see 2 Manufacturers.

I dont see ... a PM in my inbox telling me how I can order from them as well. :)

Listening to that conversation today. If you live in a free state and move to Mass can you bring your ak or ar with you and just register it? Also, if you live in NH. and also licensed (NR) in Ma. can you go to a gun club in Ma. with it?

Dig through magazine bins, I don’t think there are any adjacent commie states down there so nobody cares about old pre mass ban mags down there. I only have a few here in NH, like them for my old wall hanger AR. But all you mass guys scoop them up when they are around. You could probably buy a trailer down there, fill it full of cheap old colt mags, floor to ceiling, drive it to mass, sell 90% of them at a reasonable 20% +\- markup, and then basically pay for said trailer with your profits, while providing g other ma**h***s with reasonably priced ‘legal’ mags. Nobody would begrudge you getting a free toy hauler out of the deal. Win-win!!

Dig through magazine bins, I don’t think there are any adjacent commie states down there so nobody cares about old pre mass ban mags down there. I only have a few here in NH, like them for my old wall hanger AR. But all you mass guys scoop them up when they are around. You could probably buy a trailer down there, fill it full of cheap old colt mags, floor to ceiling, drive it to mass, sell 90% of them at a reasonable 20% +\- markup, and then basically pay for said trailer with your profits, while providing g other ma**h***s with reasonably priced ‘legal’ mags. Nobody would begrudge you getting a free toy hauler out of the deal. Win-win!!

I was pretty much thinking the same, except bring back a 53ft'er stuffed to the gills and once back sell at full on rapey prices(you know like other folks do).

Afterwards you should have enough scratch to buy some property in freer America and build a house with a nice off the deck range. [thumbsup]

Nope.
oh boy I wish I could. They’re like $450 new in dozens of configurations
No MA sucks and won’t let us have them.

I can't say I understand your fascination with SA revolvers, lol...but if in a couple years you see me posting about possibly moving back to MA, remind me to buy one here so i can bring it back and let you 'borrow it' in exchange for the exact price I paid (after I fire the obligatory first round and remember that I don't own any other wheel guns and decide it doesn't have a place in my collection, of course.) ;)

Not to thread drift, but can someone explain:
1. why the f*** aren't all revolvers on the 'MA-OK' list? (trigger weight is really my only guess?)
2. what models in particular are sought after that are currently unavailable in MA? Reason(s) for demand?
3. could someone still buy out of state and send to in state (obviously requiring FFL), or would FFL refuse transfer due to make/model?
4. how is it that people are able to buy 'off-list' auto loaders, but NOT wheel guns in MA? this just makes ZERO sense to me.

Last edited:
I can't say I understand your fascination with SA revolvers, lol...but if in a couple years you see me posting about possibly moving back to MA, remind me to buy one here so i can bring it back and let you 'borrow it' in exchange for the exact price I paid (after I fire the obligatory first round and remember that I don't own any other wheel guns and decide it doesn't have a place in my collection, of course.) ;)

Not to thread drift, but can someone explain:
1. why the f*** aren't all revolvers on the 'MA-OK' list? (trigger weight is really my only guess?)
2. what models in particular are sought after that are currently unavailable in MA? Reason(s) for demand?
3. could someone still buy out of state and send to in state (obviously requiring FFL), or would FFL refuse transfer due to make/model?
4. how is it that people are able to buy 'off-list' auto loaders, but NOT wheel guns in MA? this just makes ZERO sense to me.

hahaha. It’s mostly just aesthetics. I do prefer a S&W for general use but damned if the Colt clones aren’t just the sexiest thing going. Something about the color case hardening is what really gets me going.
For your sake I hope you never make it back here.
1. No freaking clue. It’s stupid
2. Mostly it’s the import stuff like Uberti and Pieta and also cool revolvers like the Magnum Research BFR line.
3. FFL would refuse. I hear the only way to do this is if you bought a “frame” and built one up yourself from parts. Good luck getting that to work out.
4. People can buy the revolvers the same way there just isn’t the demand for them. With all of options from Ruger and Smith there isn’t much of a need. Somehow the cowboy action guys get their hands on them. Or they run Rivers

LOL. Provided you can get one.

You can get 1911's that are US marked and C&R and not beat to crap for little more than the real CMP ones. Plus the hunt is half the fun.

Back
Top Bottom