• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

specifice bow set up question

I have a question that has been bothering me about my bow from day one. It appears that my cable is rubbing on the left most side of the cable guard guide and its sort of mashing the cable its self ( rubbing and what not on the guide) also my string doesnt sit centered on the cable guard bar stopper , it holds to the left also and is showing visible signs of wear on the rubber. Its been like this since iv bought the bow, and i dont think its really effecting my shots because for the most part they land where i want them to land from varying distances and heights, so im wondering is this normal cause its my first bow and im pretty much doing it on my own. id like to post pics of what the hell im talking about if i could just figure out how to post them from my phone :) thanks alot for any insight

Its a martin exile . I had already gotten a different style cable guide directly from martin beauce the other design was weak. So this is more a standard white plastic guide. I haven't figured out hoe to post pics from my phone but if you can tell me that also or I can email them to you. Again it doesn't seem to effect my arrow placement but it also doesn't seem mechanically correct to my novice eye.

Tried and true method...Email them to yourself. Save them on the desktop. attach. not sure how your phone is set up.

Its a martin exile . I had already gotten a different style cable guide directly from martin beauce the other design was weak. So this is more a standard white plastic guide. I haven't figured out hoe to post pics from my phone but if you can tell me that also or I can email them to you. Again it doesn't seem to effect my arrow placement but it also doesn't seem mechanically correct to my novice eye.

Drop into Archery and arms with your bow. It's in the same plaza as The gun room, in shrewsbury. Ask for Jim. He'll set you straight. It's close to you too

jeff with all the times going to the gun room i cant believe i over looked this place, you say its in the same plaza ? Id live to show the pics , but im failing to understand how to correctly attach the picture using the insert image thing

ohhhhhhhh i see ... silly me i have to go green to post attachments. And i can only imagine that no one told me that specifically because that would defeat the lesson. Very good gentleman. JeffC i appreciate the helpful advise, im even more embarrassed that I have never heard or seen this place, but ill be going there tomorrow on my lunch, i went down to the fin and feather in upton , but said id have to come back.

- - - Updated - - -

yes , if i hadnt it wouldnt shoot correctly , correct ?

Those cables are on the WRONG side of the guard, LOL. The guide goes between the rod & the cables, BUT on the other side. :D Who set up that bow?! [laugh]

New archery/gun shop inside of Vinnie's Appliances in the same plaza as The Gun Room in Shrewsbury, the owner there knows his bows and is a good guy.

If the rod has an offset, adjust it so it just clears the vane. Any more than that will wear out the cables faster than normal. Typically, the string is replaced at least twice before the cables.

@ md2020...how do you know with out seeing it ? if anything was on the wrong side it would be multiple inches off it would seem. I did a bit more research this AM it seems this is not an uncommon problem? Ill be seeing Jim today at lunch but was trying to understand it myself, IF ANYTHING it seems more like the string coming off the cam is offset possibly. I realize this is impossible with out any visual, so ill see what jim has to say , thanks again for your help

Last edited:
@ md2020...how do you know with out seeing it ? if anything was on the wrong side it would be multiple inches off it would seem. I did a bit more research this AM it seems this is not an uncommon problem? Ill be seeing Jim today at lunch but was trying to understand it myself, IF ANYTHING it seems more like the string coming off the cam is offset possibly. I realize this is impossible with out any visual, so ill see what jim has to say , thanks again for your help

Either way went and saw jim, he said that my bow is at its full potential, only suggestion was maybe trying to find a roller guide for it. IF i wanted to but everything is tip top

The photograph you had of it I could tell the cable was on the wrong side of the rod. It was obvious to me at first glance. Look up some pictures of other bows online (Bass Pro Shops for example). The string is always on the outside of of the guard to give you the maximum fletching clearance. In the old days, you needed this because of the larger 5" vanes that stuck out almost 3/4" off the arrow surface! The cable guards USE to have a big offset bend to them and now a days they look almost straight! [shocked]

If your bow shoots fine w/ it on THAT side then leave it alone. To me, it isn't doing anything the way it is and that white plastic piece will break under load because it is being stretched. [thinking]

Does the bow shoot quietly? I mean after you let the arrow fly does it sound LOUD? Try moving the string to the other side of the guard/rod and see if it sounds differently. [grin]

The photograph you had of it I could tell the cable was on the wrong side of the rod. It was obvious to me at first glance. Look up some pictures of other bows online (Bass Pro Shops for example). The string is always on the outside of of the guard to give you the maximum fletching clearance. In the old days, you needed this because of the larger 5" vanes that stuck out almost 3/4" off the arrow surface! The cable guards USE to have a big offset bend to them and now a days they look almost straight! [shocked]

If your bow shoots fine w/ it on THAT side then leave it alone. To me, it isn't doing anything the way it is and that white plastic piece will break under load because it is being stretched. [thinking]

Does the bow shoot quietly? I mean after you let the arrow fly does it sound LOUD? Try moving the string to the other side of the guard/rod and see if it sounds differently. [grin]

http://www.basspro.com/Martin-Archery-Exile-X4-Compound-Bow-Package/product/261906055/

Back
Top Bottom