Special Prep for the potential snow storm?

It's not a bad idea to fill up empty jugs or bottles with water and freeze them. If we lose power, it'll keep the temperatures cold in the freezer longer, and thawed can be used as a source of water.

It's generally a good idea to keep the freezer and fridge as full as possible to reduce it's power consumption. Every time you open the door, you loose any free air that's in it. Water makes a great ballist to hold thermal mass inside the fridge/freezer and reduce your electricity consumption.

As for doing it as special storm prep, we're in the dead of winter - if you lose power and you're concerned about anything in the freezer, toss it in a cooler and put it outside. Or fill some gallon freeer bags with snow and pack the freezer after you lose power. You're better off having that water as liquid water on the counter than frozen in the freeze as "special storm prep" -- If this were a summer storm, totally different ball game.

As for doing it as special storm prep, we're in the dead of winter - if you lose power and you're concerned about anything in the freezer, toss it in a cooler and put it outside. QUOTE]

This. I love all the people that whine about losing the fridge when its 20 degrees out.

outside = freezer
basement bulkhead = fridge (mine is just the right temp!)
Basement = dry storage

Only other prep to do is cook some chicken tonight--I usually cook chicken twice a week. I know I won't want to man the grill in the snow. Plus it's just so much easier to have cooked food ready if the power goes out.

That's brilliant. I have a can of silicone spray I use for the snow blower, but I never thought to put it on the shovels.

- - - Updated - - -

Last night's prep: 25 gallons of gas for the brand new Generac.

yup, I just learned it recently myself. I use spray on car wax, but just about any grease works: pam, crisco, siliocone, bacon [mmmm.... bacon]

outside = freezer
Basement = dry storage

Only other prep to do is cook some chicken tonight--I usually cook chicken twice a week. I know I won't want to man the grill in the snow. Plus it's just so much easier to have cooked food ready if the power goes out.
You beat me to it! I'm cooking a few things that will just need to be reheated quickly (big pot of chix soup and a couple other hot dishes). This isn't a SHTF situation (yet) so I don't want to plow through my stores if things get a little tight. I'd rather use a little propane to reheat a pre-cooked meal than a lot of propane to cook a meal from scratch. And don't forget to bake a batch of cookies while you're at it!

outside = freezer
Basement = dry storage

One of the perks of having a gas stove! One of my work friends who is older than I am had no idea she could still light the stovetop when the power went out. After snowtober she told me she was so happy she could make some tea and relax.

Our generator only powers the most important things in the house and a few outlets. I ran a n extension cord from the living room to the kitchen and plugged in the stove to use the oven. You have to wait a few minutes for it to reset but it worked!

MMMmmmm Biscuits and gravy on a cold snowy morning!!!

I've also cooked pizza on the coals in the wood stove.

It's generally a good idea to keep the freezer and fridge as full as possible to reduce it's power consumption. Every time you open the door, you loose any free air that's in it. Water makes a great ballist to hold thermal mass inside the fridge/freezer and reduce your electricity consumption.

As for doing it as special storm prep, we're in the dead of winter - if you lose power and you're concerned about anything in the freezer, toss it in a cooler and put it outside. Or fill some gallon freeer bags with snow and pack the freezer after you lose power. You're better off having that water as liquid water on the counter than frozen in the freeze as "special storm prep" -- If this were a summer storm, totally different ball game.

You're assuming we all live in houses, for those of us with apartments with no area outside to store food, it's more important to be able to keep what's in the freezer, in the freezer. I have plenty of water already, but securing liquid water 'on the counter' is as easy as melting/boiling snow if it every came down to it.

You're assuming we all live in houses, for those of us with apartments with no area outside to store food, it's more important to be able to keep what's in the freezer, in the freezer. I have plenty of water already, but securing liquid water 'on the counter' is as easy as melting/boiling snow if it every came down to it.

Stick the food in your car...

run up and down the street yelling, "we're all gonna die!" - it's not a lie, after all ;-)

Ok serious now...
Going to change the oil in the generator, turn the snow blower so it's facing out, finish loading the rest of my magazines, check the beer situation ;-)

Just realized i've been an idiot in dealing with my 5gal gas cans... transfer pump. I needs one.

Aga cooker is on high temp....I have heat, hot water and hot food even if the power goes out!

I normally snag a turkey or chicken when storms hit so I can roast one while the storm passes!

Andy

Food? Check. Water? Check. Fo-tay ammo? Check. Girlfriend (for warmth)? Check. Need to find my Leatherman MUT EOD (I know it's around here somewhere) and I'm all set. Right? RIGHT??

for those on a well, wash all your dishes... real kick in the balls beating on your generator for that.

I have already run the dishwasher, and I also get all the laundry done. Lol HUbby is bringing dinner home tonight. Already did what would have been our Saturday shopping , got gas, so we are ready.

What's the official FTA level now??

That's French Toast Alert level... [smile]

I have over a dozen eggs, almost a full loaf of bread, and some half and half to use to make mine. Plenty of maple greatness to go on top of them. got an unopened thing of thick slice bacon too. With waffles also in the freezer (and b-fast sausages) I think I'll be ok... Not to mention chili will be made tomorrow. Got to take the meat out of the freezer so that it thaws enough to grind... Yes, I grind my own beef for my chili.

Went to fill up truck and 5 gal can at BJ's in Northboro on way home from work tonight.
Pump stopped at $94.00 and I thought I was topped off....but actually they were out of fuel. All 16 pumps were off.
They were waiting on tanker truck fighting traffic on route 20 as I left the mayhem. Swung into Mobil on Route 20 and they were out of gas.
Filled my can at the Gulf up the road and will fill another in am. It's getting crazy out there....

Back
Top Bottom