• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Speaking of Holsters...

I would like to know if there's any bigger boys on here and what they use for a consealment holster.

I'm not the smallest boy on the block. And where my waist is compared to my belly, or spare tire, or whatever you wnat to call it. I don't do too well with wearing a holster and it not screaming from under my shirt that I'm carrying.

I've got about 5 or so Holsters people have recomended to me. And everyone of them, is pushed out from my belt by my waist and leaves this HUGE "imprent."

I've also tried an IWB holster. And lets just say that because of my shape, it's not very comfy to wear at all. And when I say comfy, I mean it freaking hurts. So I don't like that option.

So, it's where I really only carry in the Winter when I'm wearing a pretty heavy and bulky sweater. That way it's not obvious.

But, if there are other people like me out there. And have some advice for something that I haven't tried, or where I can get one. Then I would love it. I hate to pay for something custom just so when I get it, I have the same problem So it would be nice to try on something that would be similar then buy it if I had to buy custom.

C-pher said:
I'm not the smallest boy on the block. And where my waist is compared to my belly, or spare tire, or whatever you wnat to call it.

How bout...

DunLap

or

DickDo

C-pher said:
But, if there are other people like me out there. And have some advice for something that I haven't tried, or where I can get one. Then I would love it.

www.smartcarry.com less than $50 or $60, depending on the model, 60 day money-back policy.

You've met me, C-pher, you know I'm not skinny either. I carried at work for TWO MONTHS, and finally one guy noticed... only because I'd showed Bruce the website. And even then he wasn't sure. He had to ask. If I'd never showed him the website, I don't think he'd have noticed.

Give it a try; I know that there's someone else on NES who's got one and is happy about it; I just can't remember who it is.

C-pher, I'm in the same boat as you. The only two options that I've found are the "Askins Avenger" type[ a belt slot at rear of holster and a belt loop on the back] and a Uncle Mike's gun mate belt pouch. The Avenger style holster will pull in close to your body and will conceal quite well. Having said that, a heavy shirt at the very least which drapes around the torso will be needed. The belt pouch can be hidden in plain sight and the less tactical it looks the better. A nice bright colour and a camera case in appearance will allay most suspicions. This will not work for a belt howitzer though. A smaller gun will not print and if the pouch is too big it will sag on your belt. They are not fast as far as access is concerned but will work to conceal a gun. If another citizen questions what you have on your belt just tell them it's your colostomy bag and answer with your own,"Oh is it leaking?". That should suffice.

C-pher said:
Isn't that an IWB?

didn't go to the website, did ya?

Nope, it's not an IWB per se. It goes around your torso just below your belt line, and the pistol sits right in front of your uh... gun. (needless to say, I do NOT carry my Para that way; I do NOT want a cocked & locked .45 right next to my Johnson!)

And they're quite comfortable; I've sat at a desk, even ridden my motorcycle while carrying that way.

dwarven1 said:
C-pher said:
Isn't that an IWB?

didn't go to the website, did ya?

Nope, it's not an IWB per se. It goes around your torso just below your belt line, and the pistol sits right in front of your uh... gun. (needless to say, I do NOT carry my Para that way; I do NOT want a cocked & locked .45 right next to my Johnson!)

And they're quite comfortable; I've sat at a desk, even ridden my motorcycle while carrying that way.

I own one, bought it when I was about 30 # lighter and NEVER found it comfortable! Drawing is probably very slow as well.

LenS said:
Drawing is probably very slow as well.

True. It is slower than a hip holster. But it does let you follow rule one of gunfighting where any other holster just won't do: have a gun.

c-pher, you might to look into a good shoulder holster, such as an alessi bodyguard. that ay work. I use a mitt sparks summer special II for my USPc .45 and I have not had any problems.

6 ft 3, 215 lbs, 40 inch waist. I use a Tucker for either of my primary carries AND alternate with a Smartcarry depending on what I'm wearing.

I wear the Smart carry with the gun at 3-4pm. just like a regular IWB. Usually I wear it at a height similar to the Tuckers but when I need deep concelment, I just push the whole thing below my waist band, that's the beauty of the stretchy belt on the Smartcarry. Also by using this, you don't need to drop your holster when you use the throne. It's much easier to tuck in your shirt because you don't have the typical clips to fight with, the shirt just tucks as if you weren't wearing a holster. Just put on the holster and then put on the shirt.

The overall thickness of the SC is much thinner than a leather holster and much softer on your body. It's clipless design also makes it that much thinner as you don't have the clip thickness to add to the leather thickness.

Wear it high, low or anywhere in between...front or either side AND you get to carry another mag in the second pouch. I never found front carry very comfortable andmy slight 'overhang' made it difficult to draw. I put it away until I had a brainstorm and tried it sideways.

As comfortable as the Tuckers are - and the don't come any more comfortable, I find myself using the smartcarry more and more. I'm going to order one for my 1911. The 1911 will fit my cs45 tucker just fine, so I save some money there.

I suggest you give the smartcarry a try - it comes with a 60 (?) day moneyback no questions asked guarrentee, so you've got nothing to lose.

Try it - you'll like it.

tucker66.jpg

texas.jpg

swatmedic said:
c-pher, you might to look into a good shoulder holster, such as an alessi bodyguard. that ay work. I use a mitt sparks summer special II for my USPc .45 and I have not had any problems.

I would, but my usual wordrobe consists of either a T shirt, or a golf shirt. So unless it winter and I'm wearing a jacket, I don't know if it would work.

Pilgrim said:
6 ft 3, 215 lbs, 40 inch waist.

Me: 6'1" 265-270 42 inch waste. And maybe that's only because I wear my pants low. Maybe if I went to a larger pant size I could get away with a IWB. But I'm telling you. When I try the IWBs that I have now, the but of the gun just DIG the hell out of my side.

See, I have Dunlap Disease. And it seems to go all the way around my belt line.

And, when I use a standard holster, it my belly causes the butt to stick out. And I mean WAY out...and it just screams that I have something on my belt.

I could try misdirection and say that it's my phone. But then I would have to say that I'm carrying an old Bag phone on my hip. And I'm not kidding when I say that it's pushing it out that far.

I don't konw if it would fit but maybe sometime I'll see if your smart carry fits Ross.

I just have a hard time as I've spent hundreds of dollars on Holsters that people say will work. And everyone of them has done the same thing.

That or I'm just going to have to carry a smaller gun.

Carry a smaller gun, or pull your pants up higher. It sounds like your DunLap is pushing on the top of the holster... To prevent that, you could pull your pants up over your DunLap.

Also, does it truly go all the way around? If it's less near your back, maybe you could try a holster in the 5-5:30 position, but not right on your spine.

Maybe you are correct about the gun size... What exactly are you trying to conceal? Maybe a smaller semi or revo in a pocket holster is the way to go for you?

Adam

Yea, I thought about carrying "Mexican Style" but I've heard safety conserns with that one.

I have a Para P-10.45 Ltd that I like to carry. I did pick up a little .38 snubby from Ross. Maybe that's what I'll have to try...I've just never picked up a holster for that one.

And I don't konw about pulling my pants up Higher. Then I'll look like some old man. I guess that if I start wearing plad golf pants I can get away with it. Then I can wear my pants up over my belly button. LOL!!

if you can carry 'Mexican style', then you can use Smartcarry. It's made of denim and adds virtually no bulk to the thickness of the gun. Mexican doesn't sound very good to me.

Like I said, the SC comes with a try or return it guarrentee. Try it, you've got nothing to lose.

Maybe something like this.
http://www.holsters.org/deepconceal-holster.htm
I don't think with that you would be bound to put it under your belt line of your pants. Looks like it could be worn independent and up higher.

http://www.securityprousa.com/decoshho.html

This maybe?
http://www.customexports.com/GunHolsters.htm

Interesting options here
http://alssam.com/ucpershirhol.html

If my Mexican style you mean just putting it into your waist band.. Maybe one of those clips that I have seen. They just attach to the slide and it allows you to put it anywhere on your belt you want...

These ones are pretty cool
http://www.ccwclip.com/index.html

Adam[/url]

No, when I say "Mexican Style," I mean a holster in the small of the back. At least when I'm reading sites and magazines that's what they are calling it.

I'll have to look at those sites during my next meeting.

I don't like to sound cynical. But after many, many years of not being able to find something...It's just wearing on my nerves. You know?

I hope that I can find something...

Nickle said:
A lot of people have tried SOB and don't like it. I can't say that it would be comfortable while driving.

Or if you slip and fall on the famous New England icy/snowy winters.

I wasn't sure what you meant about Mexican style. Whenever I read Mexican style of holding a gun, I get an image in my mind of a Mexican gun fighter that you would see in western movies. You know.. Two big revolvers shoved into his waist band in front of him both cross draw, with cris-cross bandoleers full of ammo, and a big silly hat! :D

Adam

Adam_MA said:
I don't think with that you would be bound to put it under your belt line of your pants. Looks like it could be worn independent and up higher.

jtjmworn.jpg

That doesn't look confortable. Again, that's going to cause some digging.

Adam_MA said:

This one isn't very practical because again, I'm almoste always wearing either a Tshirt or a Golf Shirt. So I would have to untuck my shirt, pull it up, reach under and grab...by then I would think that it would be a little too obvious and then too late.

Adam_MA said:

I don't really wear a fanny pack, or a leather vest.

Adam_MA said:

This one is like the shoulder one. I don't see it usefull. I mean yeah, these would at least let me have a gun. But I would hope that I would only get into a Hawaii 5-O type thing when I would have time to jump behind some cover and then start shooting alley style.

Adam_MA said:

That one is actually pretty cool. But then I would always be too worried that it would fall out. But I do like it for the 1911.

I don't mean to sound whiney. And I feel that I'm starting to sound like that. But I hear of all these people saying that they are comfy and find good fitting holsters that don't print.

I'm just hoping that I can find the same thing.

Let's talk Belts. Do you think that the belt might have something to do with it? Or will my belly push it no matter what the width of my belt?

Right now I have an inch and a half belt that I wear. Don't know what my limit is for my loops, but I guess that I could look into a wider belt if you think that that might help...

I've started fixing shirts for concealed carry. I charge $15 to do, but if any of you sew, or have a wife/girlfirend who does, then might I suggest...

Take a few button down shirts and remove the buttons from the inside fold, then, take small pieces of velcro and sew them where the buttons were. Take said buttons and sew them on top of the buttonholes, also attaching the other side of the velvro under the button.

Put on a shoulder holster under your shirt - then, IF the need arose, you can rip open your shirt to get to the gun.

It's becoming pretty popular with the folks I know.

Edited to add: And, a lot cheaper to do that buying multiple holsters to find the right one. :D

Try that snubbie in a front pocket holster.

When I can't carry my favorite, I at least pop this into my back pocket.

KT32BP.jpg

Now if I could just get me one of the new .380 versions.... *SIGH*

I have seen where carry more to the back has worked better for some people. I usually carry with an 'FBI' style cant so that the muzzle is pointing into the back pocket.

I've always tried hard to keep the "Dicky-Do" under control. Isn't easy. I was a 36 in College and am now a 38. Been as large as 42, and carry was tough then.

I carry on the belt usually, and when tucked far enough back, I can easily keep it hidden. The angle really helps. My two favorites are the High Noon Topless or the Mitch Rosen 5G, but neither of those would be comfortable for you if things tend to dig in.

I don't find IWB comfortable either, but not because of the upper section digging in, but because of the lower section doing so when I sit.

Gun size does make a huge difference. I have yet to find a good way to carry the 1911, but the little Sig 239 hides easily. I'd love to get a nice Springfield compact 1911, but not in MA.

Snubbies also hide well for me. My only beef with it is reloads and practice. While most autos you can easily pop a reload in a pocket or go without those little 5-shots pretty much demand a reload and I almost always have rounds pop off the speedstrip or I have to pocket the bulky speadloader. Never liked either. Gun is fine. Should really pull it out of the safe more often.

Maybe the recoil junkie needs to look at those .357 airweights... (^_^) Hmmm, I wonder if North American Arms makes something chambered in .600 Nitro. (^_^) Who knows, maybe S&W will release an airweigh X-Frame compact next year.

OK, I'm done. (^_^)

Seriously, I have a pretty large holster collection from trying stuff. I think most shooters end up with similar collections.

As for belts, I've been wearing my Mitch Rosen belt just about every day for the last 9 years and it is just now starting to 'break-in' where the part around the most used hole is soft. A really good belt isn't cheap, but lasts a LONG time.

-----------------------------
"Dicky-Do" refers to the point where one's stomache extends further than your dicky do. Was having fun for the last two months telling the wife she had a serious "Booby-Do". (^_^)

C-pher said:
Adam_MA said:

jtjmworn.jpg

That doesn't look confortable. Again, that's going to cause some digging.

Adam_MA said:

This one isn't very practical because again, I'm almoste always wearing either a Tshirt or a Golf Shirt. So I would have to untuck my shirt, pull it up, reach under and grab...by then I would think that it would be a little too obvious and then too late.

Adam_MA said:

I don't really wear a fanny pack, or a leather vest.

Adam_MA said:

This one is like the shoulder one. I don't see it usefull. I mean yeah, these would at least let me have a gun. But I would hope that I would only get into a Hawaii 5-O type thing when I would have time to jump behind some cover and then start shooting alley style.

Adam_MA said:

That one is actually pretty cool. But then I would always be too worried that it would fall out. But I do like it for the 1911.

I don't mean to sound whiney. And I feel that I'm starting to sound like that. But I hear of all these people saying that they are comfy and find good fitting holsters that don't print.

I'm just hoping that I can find the same thing.

Ok.. For the first one, I was suggesting that you could use it, but NOT wear it under your belt. It has it's own belt built in that you could place above your belt line.
Here
jtjm.jpg

The second one... Oh well, I would think that if you do need to reach for your gun, it should be obvious that you need to use it, so who cares if you are pulling it out at that point.

As for the third one... I was suggesting this one from that site.
Defender.JPG

Defender2.JPG

Maybe these pants are for you?
http://www.totersjeans.com/index.html

Adam

As for belts... I use the Wilderness 5 stitch as recommended here. Works great, and it is plenty stiff enough to hold anything in place well..

Adam

Back
Top Bottom