Speaker DeLeo Talks Guns on Dan Rea show

DeLeo was on from 8-9 and took maybe 6 calls in the last 30 minutes. Two of the calls were about new gun control proposals. Here’s what I can remember:

The first caller asked if there was anyone on the new panel to represent the interests of gun owners. DeLeo said there were “sportsmen” on the panel. The caller voiced opposition to the proposed new taxes and insurance. DeLeo said that his real post-Sandyhook concern is to use mental health to screen gun owners. The caller says he doesn’t think HIPPA would allow this. DeLeo doesn’t respond to this point, but objects to the term “gun control,” although he doesn’t offer an alternate term. The caller finishes by complaining about the difficulty of transferring inherited guns from Texas (DeLeo agrees with this).

The second caller asked why it’s so much more difficult to get a gun permit in MA when compared with NH, ME and VT. Dan (the host) agrees with the premise and DeLeo struggles to answer. The caller also says that mental health concerns should really be handled by the health care system, not gun laws. He also asks why law-abiding gun owners have to again be burdened with new laws when most crime involves illegal guns. DeLeo says something about how that’s what they’re concerned with.

The callers were great. The Speaker never attempted to explain how any specific reform would reduce crime. He became very uncomfortable when asked to defend our current gun laws regarding LTC's. He wasn’t even challenged about the seven round mag cap limit, which seems like a virtual handgun ban

My general sense was that he wants to do something, but isn’t yet committed. It also seemed like he didn't want to make a lot of voters unhappy over the issue.

I think they will try for some mental health thing and call it a day. Linsky and Deval's crap, I just don't think there is much agreement outside of the liberals in the cities.

Back
Top Bottom