Spare Mag Carry

Switching from my desantis gunhide holster that I carry my P229 in. I need something with a better cant and that distributes the weight better. Im going with the crossbreed supertuck or the alien gear cloaktuck. Either way I wont have the spare mag pouch attached like the gunhide does. However I am left with the dilemma of how to still carry my spare mag (this is a must) with this new style of holster. How do you do it? What do you recommend?

I just got this mag carrier from SHTF Gear and it's great. Comfortable, low key, easy on/off and the price is reasonable. Here's a link to their site www.shtfgear.com

HMC_BR1-101x101.jpg

I always carry the spare in a pouch OWB on the off-side. I have Kydex from Comp-Tac and Safariland, leather from TT Gunleather and Galco and a number of others I can't recall right now. They all work well and they are completely unobtrusive - no one notices them.

I have a couple OWB holders and to me there tough to hide, they stick out more than my gun does. im gonna try an IWB or a horizontal holder. I really like the idea of horizontal but I don't think it will work on left side with my current leather belt. I may need something thinner.

I just got this mag carrier from SHTF Gear and it's great. Comfortable, low key, easy on/off and the price is reasonable. Here's a link to their site www.shtfgear.com

HMC_BR1-101x101.jpg

I have a very similar piece of kit from Safariland, works really well, and I wear it at about 7 o'clock. I'd think it can be easily run for a lefty as well..

A prescription sunglass holder makes for a great pocket carry spare mag holder - the kind of holder used to carry the clip-on sunglasses for prescription eye glasses. Different sizes for larger or smaller clip-on sunglasses will fit a variety of larger or smaller ammo magazines. Keeps the lint out and the rounds in the magazine.

I can easily carry a spare G26 mag in that little pocket above the front pocket in my jeans. Kind of tried it joking around but works pretty decent.

Switching from my desantis gunhide holster that I carry my P229 in. I need something with a better cant and that distributes the weight better. Im going with the crossbreed supertuck or the alien gear cloaktuck. Either way I wont have the spare mag pouch attached like the gunhide does. However I am left with the dilemma of how to still carry my spare mag (this is a must) with this new style of holster. How do you do it? What do you recommend?

The weight of two spare magazines balances the weight of the pistol (compared to the weight of just one). Kydex is affordable and high-performance (compared to leather or nylon). Solid loops are more durable than clips (over the long term). There are lots of good options.

http://www.shopleatherworks.com/mag-carriers/

http://www.kytexgear.com/

http://raven-concealment-systems.mybigcommerce.com/kydex-ammo-carriers/

Last edited:
I carry a flashlight every day on support side, at 9:00 in a custom holder. I carry a Blackhawk mag holder right behind it. Same exact set-up I use for IDPA, but then I have two mags.
It's nice to have everything the same for edc and comp.

I will say, if you pocket carry, or carry mags in the pocket....exercise the ammo at least once a week. The other day, I had a piece of a cashew fall into my pocket, go into the mag, and hinder the cycle of the ammo.

I will say, if you pocket carry, or carry mags in the pocket....exercise the ammo at least once a week. The other day, I had a piece of a cashew fall into my pocket, go into the mag, and hinder the cycle of the ammo.

I think the lesson to be learned here is don't keep your mag in the same pocket that you keep your nuts in.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I use to use the KYTEX Shooting Gear mag carrier (left) until the belt clip broke on three different ones.

Then I switched to Comp-Tac (right) and have been happy with those.

I can easily carry a spare G26 mag in that little pocket above the front pocket in my jeans. Kind of tried it joking around but works pretty decent.

This is exactly what I do. Dress pants I just drop it in the pocket.

I use to use the KYTEX Shooting Gear mag carrier (left) until the belt clip broke on three different ones.

Then I switched to Comp-Tac (right) and have been happy with those.

How did the Kytex pouches break?

I have bent the belt clips up to near 90 degrees on 6 pouches to make custom hangers for competition use. (without them breaking)

How did the Kytex pouches break?

Here is the email exchange I had with the company in 2013.

They were great with top notch customer service.

I received a new one, but it also broke in the same area.

My assumption was that I was being too hard on the gear.

I do have a few high round count pistol classes coming up, so maybe I will give the KYTEX carries another try.

I do like their low profile and simplicity.

Although retention did weaken over time (before they broke). My understanding is that the Kydex can be reheated in order to regain some retention.

Hi Brian,

No apologies necessary.

I understand that there is a fine line between a piece of gear being “bombproof” (usually meaning heavy and bulky) and lightweight / simple.

I appreciate you offering to replace the carrier.

It is a lefty for a G19.

Please send it to:

<redacted>

Be well, Andy

Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 10:55 PM
To: Andrew <redacted>
Subject: Re: Broke my mag carrier...

Hey Andy,

Sorry about that problem. It doesn't happen very often, but I have replaced a few carriers for customers who experience this stress crack along the top of the belt clip fold. I've only had to send warranty replacements about 3~4 times in more than 2000 purchases. My guess is the material fatigues from the repeated deflection, but I can't say it's a real problem. Looks like a left handed G19 carrier?

I'll put another in the mail to you. Send me your address where you'd like it to be delivered to.

Brian

On Apr 29, 2013, at 9:00 PM, Andrew <redacted> wrote:

Hello Brian,

Today while practicing with my G19, a mag change felt a little funny.

I inspected my mag carrier and noticed this crack along the top of the fold.

Please see the attached photos.

The mag carrier comes off my belt (Volund Gearworks Atlas) a couple of times a week when I change my pants, but otherwise it doesn’t get stressed out too much.

Does this happen from time to time or am I being a little too hard on the equipment?

Thanks, Andy

Here are the pictures I sent him:

In my experience, some of the clip-on pouches failed because of extreme stress caused by automobile seats. We don't tend think about that, and the way that the seat can force the magazine inward (against the body), causing the clip to be hyperextended, but it can happen just the same. In my experience, pouches with fixed Kydex loops were essentially unaffected by this pressure.

Andy, In NH:
I had a kydex holster break in that same spot.
The guy reinforced a new holster for me in that spot, doubling up on the kydex. No issues since.

I carry a Safariland 123 horizontal pouch. It was one size fits all when I bought it. I don't think that is the case anymore.

I'm curious about this: http://www.wayofthegun.us/proctor-covert-b-e-l-t/

I'm 50/50 on his stuff. I loved his sling. I hated his sights. I may try it for a low profile belt. I'm concerned about magazine retention.

I also carry a spare mag in a remora magazine pouch occasionally. They are extremely versatile.

I carry a Safariland 123 horizontal pouch. It was one size fits all when I bought it. I don't think that is the case anymore.

As I mentioned above, I run this pouch as well and love it. You're right, after running my double stack mag in it for a while, my single stack XDs mag does not seem to fit as snug, no matter what I do. I'm gonna pick up another one or two to have them for skinny and fat mags.

As I mentioned above, I run this pouch as well and love it. You're right, after running my double stack mag in it for a while, my single stack XDs mag does not seem to fit as snug, no matter what I do. I'm gonna pick up another one or two to have them for skinny and fat mags.

Since this thread, I decided to put my carrier to the test. I ran a good session today... And it's going to be immediately retired. MULTIPLE times I ripped the whole thing right off my belt trying to get a reload quick. I've talked with 508 Holsters, and he's working on a kydex horizontal mag pouch mock up for me.

Interesting. I've not had that issue. I'm probably not running it as hard, but I've run it exclusively in my dry fire training as well as range time, and I've not been gentle. I don't know why it would make any difference, but mine rides at 7 o'clock, not on the front like yours. I'm gonna really do some ripping and tearing at that thing next time I'm at the range, hopefully Friday.

The issue with kydex is going to be retention. I'm curious how 508 makes out with it.

Interesting. I've not had that issue. I'm probably not running it as hard, but I've run it exclusively in my dry fire training as well as range time, and I've not been gentle. I don't know why it would make any difference, but mine rides at 7 o'clock, not on the front like yours. I'm gonna really do some ripping and tearing at that thing next time I'm at the range, hopefully Friday.

The issue with kydex is going to be retention. I'm curious how 508 makes out with it.time

I'm sure it will have adjustable retention. I tried to run speed reloads as fast as possible... NOPE

Back
Top Bottom