Spanish WHAT???

You've gotta be F*%KING kidding me! They changed the words?! A spanish rapper?! It shouldn't be sung in any language other than English...You wanna sing my National Anthem, learn english! f*** them all! OMG my blood is boiling!

I read that article last night too. Not sure if there's a poll at the msn site, but on the AOhelL version there was a poll. Can you believe only 86% of Americans were offended? I guess that means that we are made up of 14% illegal immigrants then.

I first really recognized the significance of our National Anthem during the 1980 Winter Olympics. I was 12 years old when the US Hockey team won the gold. When the Star Spangled Banner was played at the medal ceremony, I actually cried. I still love to hear that song. This bastardization of American tradition is an abomination. I will no longer make an effort to communicate with a resident (notice I did not say citizen) of this country who does not speak English. If it sounds harsh, too bad.

Chris[angry]

Personally I think the SSB was not the right choice of an anthem. I would have preferred America the Beautiful, if it went up to a vote.

BUT our anthem is OUR anthem and it is a very moving song and it belongs to us - AMERICANS - not some invaders from another country.

I wonder when pols will finally see it as that-- and invasion, and start to do something about it.

It was on the local news last night and this morning. It really pisses me off. No other country does this happen but we let it happen hear. Unbelievable.[angry]

Pilgrim said:
I wonder when pols will finally see it as that-- and invasion, and start to do something about it.

You are of course assuming that the politicians, and law makers will actually do what the citizens want, and not what they want to do to further their own personal agenda!

SiameseRat said:
Actually it surprises me that it's ONLY 14% illegals... [angry] [rolleyes] [angry]

SR, that is because the 14% represents those illegals that can read English and have enough skills to find the "ON" button for the computer. The rest can't read English or use a computer, so they didn't vote! [rolleyes] [angry]

You are not the only one.

ChristosX said:
I first really recognized the significance of our National Anthem during the 1980 Winter Olympics. I was 12 years old when the US Hockey team won the gold. When the Star Spangled Banner was played at the medal ceremony, I actually cried. I still love to hear that song. This bastardization of American tradition is an abomination. I will no longer make an effort to communicate with a resident (notice I did not say citizen) of this country who does not speak English. If it sounds harsh, too bad.

Chris[angry]

Geez I thought I was the only one who felt this way. [iwojima]

Really, I don't care if somebody wants to sing the Star Spangled Banner in spanish, if it's a literal translation to the same music. Really, what's the harm in that? It's not like we have a national language.

My problem with it comes when they change the words. Especially the 'remix' version where they bitch and moan about the US wanting to prosecute known criminals. I think it's horrible and disgusting.

However, I firmly stand by their right/ability to create this abomination and I support the spanish speaking radio stations and their right to put it over the air waves. Many good people have fought and died for American citizens to be able to do this, as horrible as it is.

MidKnight said:
However, I firmly stand by their right/ability to create this abomination and I support the spanish speaking radio stations and their right to put it over the air waves. Many good people have fought and died for American citizens to be able to do this, as horrible as it is.

There are a few things that should just be left alone regardless of "Whos Right" it is...

The National Anthem and the Flag are two that come to mind.

I agree, they should be. If a friend of mine took part in disgracing the national anthem or the flag, they would never hear from me again. However, if we truly believe in the ideals of America, we must let them create and publish their own version of whatever song they want to.

Don't get me wrong, if I were to be talking to somebody who took part in this, the conversation would not last long as I'd probably end up taking a swing at them. I think it's horrible. But it's UNAMERICAN to deny them they ability to publish whatever they want.

This thread reminds me of this one:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4793&highlight=banner

Loved this thread and forwarded the text to many many people.

derek said:
There are a few things that should just be left alone regardless of "Whos Right" it is...

As one who considers destruction/abuse of the American Flag beyond the protection of the First Amendment, I must agree that the National Anthem should remain unmodified and in English. I have enough of a problem with "pop" stars who sing the Anthem at ballgames and offer their interpretation, often not even knowing the correct words. How will we feel when the American Flag is redisigned with the colors of the Mexican flag...

Chris

How will we feel when the American Flag is redisigned with the colors of the Mexican flag...

You act as tho the government will sanction this and it will be our national symbol.

You have every right and reason to be disgusted by the creation and display of a flag like that as well as the bastardization of the SSB. However, this is still America. Our flag is still the same. Our national anthem is still the same. Always will be.

If somebody butchers our flag or our national anthem it really doesn't affect you. It's a bunch of illegal america-hating jerks. That's their flag/anthem.

And we can't limit the 1st amendement. We sit here and gripe about how MA and other states limit the 2nd, but would support the castration of the 1st if it protected our flag and anthem (which by the way are symbols).

I hate what they have done to the anthem. I'll have words with anyone that says otherwise, but we can't forefit our rights. I don't care about their rights, they're bastards. I care about our rights.

Frankly I find it very distasteful that this is being done to our anthem. Would other countries tolerate it? I doubt it. So why should we sit back and take it.[angry]

MrsWildweasel said:
Frankly I find it very distasteful that this is being done to our anthem. Would other countries tolerate it? I doubt it. So why should we sit back and take it.[angry]

Because other countries don't have our Bill of Rights.

Would other countries tolerate it? I doubt it. So why should we sit back and take it.

'Cause we're better than them, as Tony has pointed out. Other countries cane people for spitting gum on the sidewalk. We don't.

MidKnight said:
'Cause we're better than them, as Tony has pointed out. Other countries cane people for spitting gum on the sidewalk. We don't.

I wish we would. [devil2] There would be a lot less trash floating around.

Though I believe as Midknight does, both in the discust and protection of the 1st, I also believe certain things should be held sacred and protected just like our national bird. Such as our national colors and anthem.

Something held as sacred and defiling it being against the law are two different things.

Many of us (my self included) believe that the Lord's name is sacred and should not be taken in vain. Now, the majority of people in this country believe (at least passively) that the Lord's name shouldn't be taken in vain... however, it would be the most un-American thing in the world to outlaw taking the sacred name of the Lord in vain.

So, here we have two examples of commonly sacred icons (a name and a flag) that people think shouldn't be defiled. But it would be insane to say that it's against the law to take the Lord's name in vain. I feel the same about the flag and anthem.

Yes, it should be and is sacred to many many people. But it's forcing your beliefs on somebody to say that they have to hold the same icon sacred. And that's exactly what America is not about.

I don't see why this should upset people...Hell, we've already given this Country over to them...may as well give them our Anthem too![angry]

I too believe that the anthem and colors should be held sacred. And yes Tony I know no other country has our Bill of Rights, but dang those 2 things (anthem,and flag) should be protected.

Back
Top Bottom