SPAM phone calls

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I got 5 robo-calls calls today from a "law enforcement agency saying warning me to call Social Security my account was being closed....etc."
I think I need a robo parrot....
BTW: 'The Don', appears OK with this horseshite, he turned them lose on us
OH I love those. They apparently have idiots write the script, because it refers to my SSN as "your social". "Your social is being used for crimes and is going to be terminated!" Who talks like that? Is that the cool hip lingo those in the know use?

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Yes, both the state & federal DO NOT CALL laws are about as effective as congress!
I am on the do not call list. most people don't realize they have to do it every 5 years. some times people forget to list all their phone numbers on this list. Then there are the companies who don't bother with checking the do not call registry. I think in the beginning companies got scared by the fines etc. that fear has died down a bit now and I'm pretty sure there are many companies who don't check the list. As soon as I say "I'm on the Do Not call list" they hang up. Even if it's a company that legitimately has your number, like when you click "agree" to a companies ToS and it includes them being allowed to sell your number to "affiliates", they still hang up as they likely aren't 100% sure HOW they got your number.

M1911

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
My cell phone is set up so that if you are not in my address book, I don't hear a thing. My default ring tone is silence. I have to be sure to put people and businesses into my book and perhaps set my ring tone to something else when I'm expecting a call from an unknown number, but for the most part, I never get bothered by the calls anymore.
This.

If you have an iPhone, update your OS to 13.1.x or 13.2. Then go to Settings -> Phone -> Silence Unknown Callers. That will send any call that is not from a phone number in your Contacts directly to voicemail. I’m sure that Android phones have something similar.

Also, most cell companies have apps that screen calls and automatically reject known spam calls. If you have AT&T it is called Call Protect. Use it. It isn‘t perfect but it helps.

I‘m getting far fewer spam calls as a result.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you are not in my contact list I don't answer
True, but my primary care physician comes up "No CallerID" when he calls
Yea, this is an issue. Many MD offices use an outside line to remind patients of an appointment. I always speak to the office secretaries and tell them they need to put the office tel number on their appointment reminders otherwise their money is not well spent on automated calls as they are ignored.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Yea, this is an issue. Many MD offices use an outside line to remind patients of an appointment. I always speak to the office secretaries and tell them they need to put the office tel number on their appointment reminders otherwise their money is not well spent on automated calls as they are ignored.
I get text reminders and they are great.

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I get none on my personal phone and only a couple a month on the company phone. Don't answer them and they will vanish, use caller ID to your advantage.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I don't need them anymore. When I make an appointment, I set my phone alarm for 1 hour before the appointment and title it with the MD name and real time for appointment.
My life and job are far from being that structured. I’ve been a phone call away from nothing to full blown WTF for too many years.
Luckily I’ve only had to cancel at the last minute for one dentist appointment. No charge on my end. They know me and I’m always on time.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This.

If you have an iPhone, update your OS to 13.1.x or 13.2. Then go to Settings -> Phone -> Silence Unknown Callers. That will send any call that is not from a phone number in your Contacts directly to voicemail. I’m sure that Android phones have something similar.

Also, most cell companies have apps that screen calls and automatically reject known spam calls. If you have AT&T it is called Call Protect. Use it. It isn‘t perfect but it helps.

I‘m getting far fewer spam calls as a result.
Thank you! I just activated this setting on my phone!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Got 3 today that were blocked usually get calls for renewing an extended warranty on a car I don't own any more. Still waiting for the Sheriff to come and arrest me for taxes that I owe.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What annoys me is legit places where you have an account and starting the call with "we need you to answer a security question". I get these on call backs that I am expecting, and are legit. I tell them that since they called me it is up to them to prove their identity, not the other way around. You think these companies would know better.

Dip Dungles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
True, but my primary care physician comes up "No CallerID" when he calls 🤔
Well that sucks. Now I am thinking I need to answer those types of calls because you never know what kind news that may tell me. I need to update my Jerky Boys voice before I answer that call.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use nomorobo on my home comcast, and my verizon iphone. It stops at least 80% of the bullshit

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I get none on my personal phone and only a couple a month on the company phone. Don't answer them and they will vanish, use caller ID to your advantage.
Recently I've been finding that I'm getting more and more spam calls from numbers that are in my contacts list. I don't know if it's just coincidence or if they've hacked something to get numbers I frequently contact, but it's getting really annoying to think it's my mother calling for something only to have it be a recording or some piece of shit looking to "clean my chimney" on the other end.

OnTheRoad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Move. I can weed spam out pretty easy. My AZ phone number gets spam all the time, from AZ numbers. Pretty much anything "local" is gonna be spam. Anything from Tennessee is probably legit :)
This. I got a Google Voice number that connects to my cell. Didn't cost anything, got to pick what area code and exchange and now whenever I get a call from the GV area code I know it's a scam. Plus I only give my real cell # to those I know and if I get too many junk calls on GV I can dump it and get another one.

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Recently I've been finding that I'm getting more and more spam calls from numbers that are in my contacts list. I don't know if it's just coincidence or if they've hacked something to get numbers I frequently contact, but it's getting really annoying to think it's my mother calling for something only to have it be a recording or some piece of shit looking to "clean my chimney" on the other end.
I would be out of my mind if someone could get into my contact list.

Billsail

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Got a few last week that caller ID said "CA inmate", and "PA inmate" along with a number unknown to me. Who in Hell would spoof a number like that??

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Spam called.
I answer, yes I'm interested but can't talk right now, give me a number I and I'll call you right back.
Break out my VoIP call generator, run it on a few computer so I exceed the magic 10 calls a second (most voice system break down around here).
Even a CO switch has problems at this rate once you hit 672 calls 😀

Top Bottom