• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

spam ammo cans

xero2099

NES Member
picked up some spam cans of ammo for my mosin over the weekend man are they a pain in the but to open with the can opener they give you

is there an easier way to open them?

Yes, easier and neater if you have a hand grinder.

Looking straight down on the can you grind the top of the roll crimp on the can all the way around until the seam opens up. (Lots of sparks, don't burn the house down)

Take a file, smoothe off the burrs and you have a nice reusable can with a lid. If you wanted, you could clean the steel of the roll crimp and actually solder it closed.

why are they pain to open? The opener is no different than most non-American can openers like this one, and they work just fine. Use the sharp end to cut the tin.

Other%20T&T%20-%20Can%20Opener.jpg

I use a heavy knife and a hammer. Just go right around only take a minute. You really only need to go half way and then you can unload it. I don't save the cans so I don't care what they look like.
I would be careful grinding. That paper is very old and very dry. The last thing you want is a flaming ammo can

Last edited:
I use a heavy knife and a hammer. Just go right around only take a minute. You reall only need to go half way and then you can unload it. I don't save the cans so I don't care what they look like.
I would be careful grinding. That paper is very old and very dry. The last thing you want is a flaming ammo can

Have opened dozens of them with a grinder and never a problem. The can lid fits much too tight for any spark to enter the can.

2-3 minutes with the standard issue opener. Is that really a pain in the butt?

Sent from my handheld electronic thingamabob.

Found some at Riley's last weekend for $89 per can. They had plenty, and I think Shooter's Outpost had even more. Might be worth the trip for northern MA buyers.

Back
Top Bottom