• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Space blanket experiment

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
Back in February I went camping in the Adirondacks. Several of us were gathered in a tipi one evening discussing the merits (or disadvantages) of certain types of gear we carried. One item that was brought up was the ubiquitous “space blanket.” One member of the group produced a 1-person emergency bivy made by AMK similar to this one:

amk-heatsheets-bivvy.png

I have used the regular space blanket for wind breaks and shade before, but never in the bivy mode.

So I purchased my own and decided to give it a (limited) test. A few nights ago I gathered up some gear with which to conduct my experiment:

- The emergency bivy
- a small piece of USGI closed cell foam pad (to sit on)
- a notebook and pen(to record the data)
- an Ipod (to pass the time)
- a head lamp (to observe data)
- a couple of key chain thermometers (to collect data)
- a candle lantern and a small bic lighter (to produce heat)
- a Brunton Nomad (mostly for the clock feature)

space blanket equipment.jpg

I was dressed in common street clothes (sneakers, blue jeans, cotton shirts) and not the type outdoor garments I’d like to be wearing when facing an unplanned night in the woods.

I walked out into the woods a short distance behind my house. Both of my key chain thermometers read 45*F. I waited there for almost an hour before the nighttime temperature cooled me off enough that I decided to get into the bivy at 10:00pm. It was cold enough for me to put my hands in my pockets and my toes were getting a bit chilly.

To pass the time I was listening to a prerecorded episode of Jack Spirko’s Survival Podcast on my Ipod.

The first thing I noticed once I was inside the bivy was that it wasn’t tall enough to wrap completely around my head. I’m 70” tall and the info on the package said the bivy was 84” long (and 36” wide), but the material did not extend far enough over my head to make a hood. This condition was made worse when I sat down. I had legitimately forgotten to bring a ball cap out with me and now I was concerned that I’d lose enough heat off the top of my head to skew the results.

I sat on the foam pad and leaned up against a tree with my legs crossed Indian style. Things were a little cramped inside the bivy and I was trying to be careful not to tear the material on the ground or rip it apart. After ten minutes in the bivy, I did feel warmer than before and thermometer I brought inside with me read 68*F. My knees were a bit cold where they were in direct contact with the bivy material.

At around 10:30pm, I noticed that my knee had parted the seam on the side. Outside temperature read 43*F, inside temperature 70*. At this time I stretched my legs out in front of me not only to reduce the stress on the seam, but to articulate my sore joints.

space blanket knee tear.jpg

11:00pm – the inside temp measured 68*F, but the thermometer was resting on my lap. From this point on, I kept the inside thermometer suspended inside the bivy with my hands. My feet were cold and so were my knees where they contacted the material. I was shivering a little bit, but nothing more than if you let a chill run down your back.

It was at this time I lit my candle lantern inside the bivy.

candle lantern space blanket no flash.jpg

11:15pm – By this time the shivers were gone and the inside temperature read 74*F. To write and take down notes, I needed to hold the shelter closed and hold the lantern with one hand. In the confined space of the bivy it was easy to contact the lantern with the material and burn a hole in it.

space blanket tear.jpg

By dumb luck I dropped the lantern, but it was caught and hooked on the wire of my spiral notebook. Using my head lamp, I was able to continue note taking; 11:26pm outside temperature 41*F. While writing some notes and trying to shift some weight off my aching joints, I splashed the candle lantern out. I needed to wiggle my torso out of the bivy to locate my lighter. By the time I re lit the lantern and got wrapped back up in the bivy, the inside temperature had dropped to 71*F. This time I used a short piece of stick to suspend the lantern from my knees.

candle lantern space blanket.jpg

At about this time, the wind came up a bit. I was glad it was to my back and not blowing in my face.

12:00pm - Inside temperature 78*F, outside temperature 41*F. Although the inside temperature was relatively warm, anything below the lantern was cold as well as anything in direct contact with the material. Not being able to stretch out and keep my head covered really made things uncomfortable. I decided to end the experiment. I could have gone longer if I had better clothes on, but I was curious if the bivy would really "reflect" my body heat. I'm not convinced. The bivy did help keep the wind from stealing heat from me and probably would have done the same with any rain had I been able to keep it off my head. My feet never warmed up.

Once I climbed out of the bivy, the wind really gave me the shivers; so much to the point I gave up trying to get the bivy back into its stuff sack. I was really glad I was only 100 yards outside my back door. I quickly got back in the house and made a cup of hot chocolate.

My bivy has reached the end of its service life due to my carelessness and the use of the candle lantern. I'm undecided as to whether or not I'll replace it and carry it with my "unplanned bivouac" gear. This experiment has reinforced my commitment to carrying redundant fire making gear, keeping my navigation skills sharp, and carrying extra clothing even if just going out for the day.

Last edited:
OK. I'm impressed. Not many people would put themselves through that much less been organized enough to take data. From your write-up it sounds like it might be a reasonable thing to carry if they had only made it a little bigger.

Excellent experimental data and review.

My thoughts:

It sounds like it would be more useful if it was slightly larger.
It will get you through the night if it's all you have, but it could use some serious improvements.
I'd have liked to see the results without the candle, sounds like the internal temp was about 68 without the candle. A little chilled, but certainally survivable (I keep my house at 68, dropping to 65 at night)

Generally useful to have in a pitch, but not something to be entirely counted on. It's made me think though - what if you picked up a small fleece blanket and vacume sealed it - or a terry-cloth towel. Something to add a small air space between you and the bivey wall?

I think it would be interesting to open up a sleeping bag and sew the space blanket material to the inside of the outer covering. I wonder how that would perform. Nice part of that is you could use enough material to cover it fully.

I think it would be interesting to open up a sleeping bag and sew the space blanket material to the inside of the outer covering. I wonder how that would perform. Nice part of that is you could use enough material to cover it fully.

The value of the space blanket is its ability to trap air. Dry, still air is a wonderful insulator. Most insulating materials actually function by generating a dry, still air gap and maximizing the conduction path through the material. As Andy mentions, direct contact with the space blanket proved to be quite cold. Based on that understanding, the space blanket would seem to make a better outer covering (to provide water and wind resistance) with the sleeping bag providing an air-gap rather than a liner.

The mylar of the blanket provides a strong wind-barrier to prevent air movement while the multi-layer construction (alternating mylar and aluminum normally) minimizes radiated heat-loss and thermal conduction through the material, which is the only thing that makes it more effective than any other wind proof covering.

The true value of these space balnkets is that they are extremely small and light, allowing them to be carried when something bulkier or heavier would be left behind.

nice review... a spaceblanket is just that... a back up to a sleeping bag (like the military issue ECW sleep system)

http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/13221.html

i've slept inside this sytem at Fort Drum, NY with snow on the ground and a windchill of -40 more than once. on some of the warmer days, we would cache our rucks and move out with just our woobies (poncho liner), poncho and space blanket...

with the right undergarments (polypro's or long johns), you can stay pretty warm even with snow on the ground and sleet / snow falling.. not toasty warm, but warm enough to take a cat nap.

any combination of similar gear by other manufacturers would work.. too

edit: we also carried one of these in our aid bags: http://www.vtarmynavy.com/emergency-space-blanket.htm for patient use.. these are pretty much useless for use, other than a patient on a litter.

the bigger, heavier ones were the ones i used...

9069_big.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review.. rep points in bound.

I would think that installing one the these blankets inside a sleeping bag would prove more of an issue as condensation would buildup inside your sleeping bag... kind of like a cheap tent that doesn't breathe and waking up to rain drops inside.

Thanks for the positive replies.

I wouldn't want to spend the night out in this bivy at temps less than 40*F, and certainly not without the candle lantern. Supplemental insulation would also be a huge benefit.

I could have used more field craft (dressed appropriately, built a shelter and / or a fire, added pine needles underneath for insulation, etc), but I wanted to see what the bivy could do on its own. I suspected that it would do poorly by itself and that's why I decided to use the candle lantern.

I'd rather have the correct gear with me to manage an "unplanned bivouac" than rely on something to get me through a "survival situation."

Looks like it's not a first line of defense, but a true "emergency" item. Possibly the difference between walking out and being found.

Props to you for doing the experiment, and explaining the methodology ( as well as admitting to the things that went less-than right)

+1

Excellent review! Thanks for posting!

My experience with space blanket were much the same. Good for a wind break, but didn't really reflect much heat that I noticed. I a regular piece of plastic would work as well, and be quite a bit big to act as a rain fly.

If someone can explain how "rep points" work, I give you some if I can.

Last edited:
Excellent review. +reps
The only way to decide if something is necessary is to test it.

I think members of this forum should review emergency equipment more often, as there is a lot of gear we just assume will be useful in an emergency.
One quick example is those little collapsible shovels. Most of us have one in the BOB, but has anyone actually tried to dig a decent size hole with one?

Hopefully Andy has started a trend. [wink]

Turbo,

It's been a while, but I have used an older folding head military spade for digging. My family has a summer cottage on a lake in NH and I spent a lot of time with my grand-father doing maintance on the house before he passes away.

The shovel I used had a solid wood handle, pivoting spade head with milled saw on one side and a threaded collet to lock the space head into 1 of 3 positions. Folded back against the handle for storage, straight to form a small space and 90 degrees to emulate a mattock or hoe. It was far from ideal in almost any situation, but it does work. I would recommend anyone who's going to keep one to practice with it because there are techniques that work and some that done. If you've never used it, you'll waste a lot of time and energy learn what doesn't work.

Unless you have a lot of time, you're not going to dig a large / deep hole with one, but you can dig a reaonable hole with it, and it's a lot easier to carry than a spade and mattock. Pick a survival project to emulate - digging a fire pit, creating a sleeping hollow, etc and practice using it. One thing to keep in mind, they are actually designed to be used from the knees rather than standing up. If you need your weight for leverage, lock the spade in the 90 degree position, place the handle on the ground with the spade tip down and step on the spade back. It works a lot better than trying to use it like a normal spade.

the entrenching tool is useless for anything other than digging a moat around your pup tent when it's raining....

[laugh] ask me how i know

Ok Wolf - How do you know?

What else have you tried digging with it?

I wouldn't say they're useless, but they're only a half step better.

See? Some of use have learned something. I seriously hope we can get rolling with these reviews. The knowledge that is shared through a review could very well be a factor in a life or death situation.

Ok Wolf - How do you know?

What else have you tried digging with it?

I wouldn't say they're useless, but they're only a half step better.

dig a foxhole with one....

1. too small - no real leverage to dig and the "face" is small, so you'll be digging for days
2. fragile - it doubles as a hammer, ax and blunt object. i've broken at least six of them in 15 years.

the only thing it's good for is to dig a crap hole, take a crap and burry it...

I wonder if some of the aftermarket E-tools are a bit better. the glock one perhaps?

I've dug a few two-man fighting positions with a USGI e-tool.

entrenchingtool.jpg

They work better than using your bare hands. [thinking]

The bolt connecting the handle with the blade would shear with great frequency.

If they were around, it was always better to borrow a real shovel from the AAV crew. Better yet was to find a Combat Engineer with a S.E.E. Tractor and have him use the backhoe to dig.

Andy in NH

i need to somewhat retract my previous statements: the faults of the e-tool are noted, but it can be of SOME use.... i personally see no use for one in SHTF though... i'd rather carry more water, ammo or more space blankets [laugh]

**i appologize for the thread drift**

[wink]

...in a situation where you were grabbing your BOB, would it include an e-tool?

No.

I do have one under the seat of my truck only because I had an extra one after leaving my last job. I wouldn't spend the money to buy one today. They are too heavy for what they do and like Wolf, I've seen too many of them break.

I'm trying to envision a situation where I'd need to dig a hole (any hole) while trying to get home after being forced (or left with no other choice) to abandon my vehicle. If it was winter, I'd grab the avalance shovel from behind the seat in anticipation of digging a snow shelter, but not the e-tool.

**i appologize for the thread drift**

Doesn't bother me - let it go where people want to talk about.

Same here... I've got an E-tool that lives in the jeep. better than my hands, and it doesn't take up much space.

You might want to look at the Thermolite Bivvy:

146_335x335.jpg
146-hi1.jpg

It's only a little larger than the Heatsheets one you tests, but I found it a bit more comfortable due to the texture of the interior. I don't have nearly as detailed a test as Andy did, but when I tried it, I found it perfectly suitable as a shelter assuming you were dressed properly for the daytime conditions. I didn't sit, however, I made an arrangement of dry leaves and laid down in the bag. If I recall correctly, the night was about 50 degrees so that might have made all the difference. It's advertised as a 50 degree bag. Caught my attention when I was reading about ultra-light shelters. Quite a few people are using a TarpTent shelter and this bag as a primary camping setup for traveling light.

Their favorite tent was the Sublight which is less than 20oz and 14"x4" packed. Its designed to use treking poles to support it, but just about anything (including an overhead branch) can work.

sublitetyvek2.jpg

My choice for a personal shelter is the Moment:

Moment_interiorwallvent.jpg

It's 10 oz. heavier and 20"x4" packed (still very small and fits inside my pack easily) One pole design (requires staking out) It is also better ventilated, offers gear storage, completely dry entry after setting up in the rain, and has more interior room (6ft person can sit and lay and not touch the outer shell). Also, the fabric used will remain water repellent even in extended storms.

Back
Top Bottom