• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SP5K/MP5K

A guy I was talking with predicts the wait time will drop to only a few months come the fall. He said with 41p, people were in a mad rush to get all their paperwork in.

I find that unlikely, maybe 6 months.. other than a few outliers when efiles first came out they are rarely "a few months"

The easiest way to get a HK SP5K is to have a SOT buy one and make it a AOW by just putting a K grip on it and then transfer it to you on a Form 4 for a 5 dollar NFA stamp and what ever he charges for the transfer.

Then if you ever wanted you can pay the 200 NFA stamp to SBR it on a Form 1 if you wanted to.

I'm asking this as somebody who has no relationship with an SOT or builder, but am I more likely to find (a) an SOT to go the K grip/Form 4 route, or (b) somebody to SBR a pistol and transfer it to me? Is one an easier ask than the other?

Alternatively, I guess I could pick up a parts kit and have someone build it using a flat, but I think that presents its own set of logistical issues, though maybe they're not too bad. Still, after owning a clone I think I'd strongly prefer something with HK stamped on the receiver.

I dont think one is easier to ask than the other, theyll either do it or they wont.
The problem with having one built is the lead time plus waiting for the transfer.
Mine took a year to have built, now i have to wait for the transfer.

there are a few big name builders out there... check out hkpro.com... itll answer most hk questions you could have that aren't MA NFA transfer related.

I dont think one is easier to ask than the other, theyll either do it or they wont.
The problem with having one built is the lead time plus waiting for the transfer.

there are a few big name builders out there... check out hkpro.com... itll answer most hk questions you could have that aren't MA NFA transfer related.

Can't you technically start the Form 1 if you have a serial number, or is it not possible to run both the build and NFA processes semi-concurrently? In your case, where does the gun sit while the transfer stuff is pending? Does the builder hold it?

I've been reading a ton of build threads over on hkpro these past few weeks, but still haven't given up hope of finding a way to get an SP5K.

Alternatively, I guess I could pick up a parts kit and have someone build it using a flat, but I think that presents its own set of logistical issues, though maybe they're not too bad. Still, after owning a clone I think I'd strongly prefer something with HK stamped on the receiver.

I think it depends on whose clone. I know Dakota Tactical makes a nice one, but now you don't go directly through him but to one of his approved dealers. You used to have to wait a little over a year for one of his.

It's too bad you couldn't get the serial# earlier to start the paperwork.

I think it depends on whose clone. I know Dakota Tactical makes a nice one, but now you don't go directly through him but to one of his approved dealers. You used to have to wait a little over a year for one of his.

I think you still do have to wait that long. There are a few other builders, but most of them seem to have similar wait times (at least 6+ mos).

Mine is a special weapons SW5. I have plenty of HK guns, and failures of any kind among them are almost unheard of. The SW5 has been a very different experience.

I think you still do have to wait that long. There are a few other builders, but most of them seem to have similar wait times (at least 6+ mos).

Mine is a special weapons SW5. I have plenty of HK guns, and failures of any kind among them are almost unheard of. The SW5 has been a very different experience.

I wasn't sure about the wait still. I was lucky and got a DJ Getz clone. It has run like a top. The wait wasn't too bad only 2-3 months, but he is out of the business due to health reasons now. As for the SW5, I have heard they were hit or miss with mostly miss. DJ, Dakota and Parrabellum Combat Systems used to take them in to tune them up to run flawless (for a price but it wasn't stupid money) I'm not sure who does now.

I wasn't sure about the wait still. I was lucky and got a DJ Getz clone. It has run like a top. The wait wasn't too bad only 2-3 months, but he is out of the business due to health reasons now. As for the SW5, I have heard they were hit or miss with mostly miss. DJ, Dakota and Parrabellum Combat Systems used to take them in to tune them up to run flawless (for a price but it wasn't stupid money) I'm not sure who does now.

I think a few of those places will still tune an SW5, I'm just wondering if it's worth the $ and trouble for a gun that doesn't have any HK parts in it. I can find an HK parts kit with a flat for a little more than I paid for it, it's the NFA and MA transfer complications that have me hesitating. Still, the SW5 is a cast receiver one that feels pretty solid, I just can't get it to cycle reliably. Maybe it's the ammo. Maybe the cage in the lower needs to be opened up a little. Maybe I have to replace the whole bolt. Maybe it never runs properly. Maybe I should go back to the shop that I got it from and see what they suggest.

I wish I had gotten in on the DJG guns while he was still in business.

Last edited:
Can't you technically start the Form 1 if you have a serial number, or is it not possible to run both the build and NFA processes semi-concurrently? In your case, where does the gun sit while the transfer stuff is pending? Does the builder hold it?

I've been reading a ton of build threads over on hkpro these past few weeks, but still haven't given up hope of finding a way to get an SP5K.
the builder would build it and form 3 it, it would stay in his possesion for 3-6 weeks then get mailed to the dealer, the dealer will hold it until the form 4 has cleared which could take 8-12 months

It's too bad you couldn't get the serial# earlier to start the paperwork.
Not always as easy as you'd think i guess... that was the plan. Maybe if it was an instate builder that would be practical.since it has to form 3 to my Instate dealer. The builder would have to send the receiver to my dealer form 3 then start the form 4 to me, while i wait my dealer would send the receiver back to the builder... its just alot of nonsense.

I was starting to hint to my builder i wanted this done...he said itll be finnished in a few weeks so it was moot at that point. The other gun isn't nfa so I'll transfer like any common firearm (hk21e)

Last edited:
More like under $3k.
I know right. Thinking my hk91 host could be worth more than 3k makes me not want to shoot it, then i look at the price of other hosts and i come back to "well thats just what it costs"

If your going to use it much you might aswell get a custom build.

HK91s seem downright affordable these days. I've got one that's in good shape, but have been seeing some pristine examples listed for around $3k. It's tempting to grab one and start getting creative with the old one.

More like under $3k.

Not Quite.

MSRP is $2699. Dealer cost for small dealers is $2173. Large dealers could pay significantly less.

If you don't have to be the first kid on the block to have one, they will be in the $2350 range soon enough.

That comes with 2 - 30 round mags. You could

Don

HECKLER & KOCH - 750900-A5 0253205 HECKLER & KOCH 750900-A5 $2,699.00 $2,173.91 EA
H&K SP5K 9MM 4.5" 10RD SEMI BLK 2 MAGS

Last edited:
Not to hi-jack the thread too much, but for about $40/week, you can rent a place, get an 07 FFL, MA dealer's licenses, and an SOT.

Then you can pretty much get/do whatever you want. You can buy/make supressors, pay no tax stamps, and make SBRs and MGs without waiting for paperwork (just file a Form 2).

Not Quite.

MSRP is $2699. Dealer cost for small dealers is $2173. Large dealers could pay significantly less.

If you don't have to be the first kid on the block to have one, they will be in the $2350 range soon enough.

That comes with 2 - 30 round mags. You could

Don

HECKLER & KOCH - 750900-A5 0253205 HECKLER & KOCH 750900-A5 $2,699.00 $2,173.91 EA
H&K SP5K 9MM 4.5" 10RD SEMI BLK 2 MAGS

One of my dealers had a K, I had to laugh when there is STILL NO ****ING PADDLE RELEASE by default on these guns. Like all that (waiting 200 years for HK to make semi mp5 again, so one doesn't have to buy junk ) and no paddle release... wtf? [laugh]

-Mike

Not to hi-jack the thread too much, but for about $40/week, you can rent a place, get an 07 FFL, MA dealer's licenses, and an SOT.

Then you can pretty much get/do whatever you want. You can buy/make supressors, pay no tax stamps, and make SBRs and MGs without waiting for paperwork (just file a Form 2).

Im such a fool for not setting up my own FFL.. i could have been doing my own transfers and had post samples to shoot.i wish i did it 10 years ago.

Sooner or later ill have to get it done.I've just been too busy to comit to running it as a legit business.
MAybe some day.

i believe oneeyedjack has been steering people the right way for some time.

- - - Updated - - -

One of my dealers had a K, I had to laugh when there is STILL NO ****ING PADDLE RELEASE by default on these guns. Like all that (waiting 200 years for HK to make semi mp5 again, so one doesn't have to buy junk ) and no paddle release... wtf? [laugh]

-Mike

The fact it doesnt come with one is why i wont buy one.yes, you can add it but to me thats just retarded.

The fact it doesnt come with one is why i wont buy one.yes, you can add it but to me thats just retarded.

I think what bugs me is its just insulting... it's like buying a brand new sports car, and it comes with 4 donuts mounted on it instead of at least 4 shitty but OK looking tires of the correct size.... like I picked it up, looked for the paddle, saw it wasn't there, and if an HK rep was there I would have glared at the person and said "It's been like, 30 years....all that and.... Seriously?"

-Mike

I have to agree.. a "cheap" HK host that needs work before you can go FA and still need the paddle for looks if your semi.. better off buying non hk assembled host by an metal artist.the other option is to just buy an older HK without the wait of a build...i would want someones used clone. Ill ruin it myself thank you

Hi all,
This has been a thoroughly entertaining thread...and it just so happens I am thinking about selling my preban HK SP89 FJ Vollmer "Stretch" Sterling VA import. It is the crown jewel of my collection, but alas the kids school bills are due. I have 20 HK date coded preban curved mags and a preban beta c mag. It comes in a eagle case, has surefire forend, original forend, three position lower, original lower, QD flash hider, three HK magazine couplers, three straight Mp5 mags c1979 with pouch, and a HK Mp5 sling. I'll try to upload some more pictures to the thread. This would be a great way to do an sbr because you can take delivery immediately and file the form 1, Instant gratification...I am also a type 07 ffl and can assist in any SOT builds anyone wants to do or help converting this pistol to an sbr...

s6pubmOYcHk3zLW9X__bPDXtCgxHjWCbMOc5-xQzVkXAiALQse9G62NuueTVbFadwTgcTMyp3m_D8N_LN8fTP_V62amslgOaMnc2xE84tU-Bi7ua9nltGBURpEabsvRUwOwubeLsFqnaSBECVUSRS1lwmGb2QWHgRhEHQmbz9n7_al7c0KH1C_aSdE88kglxWUlzkDFx2aDeTVDYIbTJF9TW0Zvi99BbBpjfRKrwzzYU1AnRyLLacXhnUzmSx65fgaa9Az9-gHFi9uCs_y87r1D-zNJAAmyGepJCUuYGvs-oAXHyE8qBAGXCb-TrhgXr-ry-QGsQxtxqTS-hj9qyYwkx6MLqPMlWkpLwDudZikPCpK9WltKGnGjs5q8jf3n6_1pZ77277ybgFOo4j3zun0z90aHTLeAknmxhJp-bAGrCQcGul63wnY9v3VscQD6PhTAcqNZlNn3fpI67L2u1hrqmln4SJCPE2GZs49fMRQTUd2wJVLsv9u_98IFJdFFZ8saGw3cV0PWdiE8EPsni8jIPpr23Txf_tENulAxSg5yaBIfSGvgWfbLF2tiYfrOPASSoNNKoMuJBjqFbElNrGBRl4TKMHMTnBRz_9uMVw4N5XeWkJhVaaFyb=s794-no

-Mike

In order to be available for civilian sales it must be different in enough ways to the military firearm as to not be deemed a "weapon of war" by the German government.

Ya, im not sure in what fantasy world it would be worth that. Maybe wait another 10 years an relist after president Warren/VP Healey are elected.

Ya, im not sure in what fantasy world it would be worth that. Maybe wait another 10 years an relist after president Warren/VP Healey are elected.
Just a regular sp89 is going for 6 to 8 Grand with one mag right now. The FJ Vollmer stretch is definitely worth more. Plus all the accessories. I turned down $10,500 the week I got it. Even the POF or MKE are going for almost two Grand...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom