SP5K/MP5K

ENGLAND

NES Member
Hello brain trust,
Was hoping you all could weigh in on the acquisition of an SBRed HK SP5K in MA.
Im not new to NFA items, but have only SBRed AR15s at this point, which I had full control over submitting paperwork and constructing.
I would like to SBR the SP5K pistol, but cannot receive it in its pistol form in MA due to weight (AW ban). I was wondering if I found a previously SBRed version outside of massachusetts, could I transfer that in through an SOT?
It is my understanding that once SBRed, it would not fall under the definition of pistol and would be ok for transfer- is that correct?
Many thanks for any and all guidance.

Couldn't a dealer with the correct licenses bring it in as a pistol, convert it to a SBR and then transfer to you?

Yes, he could also buy it as a rifle then remove the extension if the stamp is approved. Question is, will anyone transfer it?

This one comes down to how comfortable the SOT is with Maura's 7/20/16 re-interpretation of the AWB and if the ATF will approve the Form 4.

Yes, he could also buy it as a rifle then remove the extension if the stamp is approved. Question is, will anyone transfer it?

This one comes down to how comfortable the SOT is with Maura's 7/20/16 re-interpretation of the AWB and if the ATF will approve the Form 4.

I don't believe they make it in a rifle version yet. The OP is talking talking about the new HK pistol, you are probably thinking of clones that can be had as rifles? Someone in the classifieds was selling a HK SP89 clone in MA for probably close to double the price of an HK SP5k, but what price would someone pay to have it today rather than wait.

I don't believe they make it in a rifle version yet. The OP is talking talking about the new HK pistol, you are probably thinking of clones that can be had as rifles? Someone in the classifieds was selling a HK SP89 clone in MA for probably close to double the price of an HK SP5k, but what price would someone pay to have it today rather than wait.

A person in another state would need to buy a pistol and convert it to a rifle with a bbl extension & stock. Extra gymnastics to get to a MA legal place which isn't surprising.

Couldn't a dealer in MA buy the pistol and convert it themselves?

"Could" yes. I think you would have an easier time finding a martian to do it for you though. Many (if not most) of them are gun shy with Maura's recent rampages.

A person in another state would need to buy a pistol and convert it to a rifle with a bbl extension & stock. Extra gymnastics to get to a MA legal place which isn't surprising.

Oh ok, I get where you were coming from now. Boy living in this state sucks more and more every day.

You could just buy it as a factory sbr(regardless of your choice of who will build it)
it really doesnt matter which way you go youll either have to form1,form4 by an instate builder.
Or form1 form3 form4 out of state builder....

What alot of people do is use a sp89 (which is preban) for their build.. it allows you to have it in pistol form while waiting for form 1 approval.
To me it doesn't make much sense to do it this way.I just bought mine from Michael's machine. I went MP5A3 but with the 4 position lower.

You could just buy it as a factory sbr(regardless of your choice of who will build it)
it really doesnt matter which way you go youll either have to form1,form4 by an instate builder.
Or form1 form3 form4 out of state builder....

What alot of people do is use a sp89 (which is preban) for their build.. it allows you to have it in pistol form while waiting for form 1 approval.
To me it doesn't make much sense to do it this way.I just bought mine from Michael's machine. I went MP5A3 but with the 4 position lower.

He isn't talking about a build, that would be easy; he wants the new H&K SP5K.

If you buy it as a pistol and make it an sbr you are building it
or buy it factory SBR.

if he wants to buy an sp5k, he just has to buy an sp5k.Am i missing something?

If you buy it as a pistol and make it an sbr you are building it
or buy it factory SBR.

if he wants to buy an sp5k, he just has to buy an sp5k.Am i missing something?

Just finding a shop who will transfer it.

Last edited:
]Hello brain trust,
Was hoping you all could weigh in on the acquisition of an SBRed HK SP5K in MA.
Im not new to NFA items, but have only SBRed AR15s at this point, which I had full control over submitting paperwork and constructing.you could maintain control if you built from sp89
I would like to SBR the SP5K pistol, but cannot receive it in its pistol form in MA due to weight (AW ban). I was wondering if I found a previously SBRed version outside of massachusetts, could I transfer that in through an SOT? yes
It is my understanding that once SBRed, it would not fall under the definition of pistol and would be ok for transfer- is that correct?yes
Many thanks for any and all guidance.
maybe this is more clear, sorry i wasnt as clear in my OP

- - - Updated - - -

Just finding a shop who will transfer it.
Its not that big of a deal.i didnt seem to have any issues

Finding a shop to do the transfer is the difficult part. I was outlining possible ways to make that transfer easier. You clearly have good relationships with SOT's willing to do the transfer for you. From the sounds of it, the OP does not.

While i have a good relationship with several ffls, it literally took two phone calls.Only because my first one was to one of the ffls currently fighting the AG and i didnt want to complicate things for him.
Throw some money at pretty much any NFA dealer and theyll do it.

I wouldnt think finding one close to you is more of a challenge than finding one to do it.
getting a post Healey AR15 lower transfered is hard, an hk or any sbr not so much.

While i have a good relationship with several ffls, it literally took two phone calls.Only because my first one was to one of the ffls currently fighting the AG and i didnt want to complicate things for him.
Throw some money at pretty much any NFA dealer and theyll do it.

I wouldnt think finding one close to you is more of a challenge than finding one to do it.
getting a post Healey AR15 lower transfered is hard, an hk or any sbr not so much.

Ok, fair enough.

Hey, all i have to go off is my own experience."Hard" is a relative term..

Hks and Hk SBRs are going to be all the rave in MA, i dont really know what else is legal and worth buying in the state, other than overpriced prebans and ar15s already owned in the state.

I've been trying to find a way to get an SBRed SP5K too. The HK94 clone I picked up recently has only made the hunger worse.

You guys are killing me, i got the mp5a3 (which ill probibly swap back and forth fixed and collapsible stock)
When its built and transfered Ill have to order the mp5k. Theres like a year backlog with my builder.
this guys guns are worth the wait, check him out. http://www.michaelsmachines.com

he's also making the crown jewel of my collection... i swore its the last gun id buy
banner_MM23E.jpg

I paid for one... its form 3 was submitted with the form 3 for my uzi on around 9/1/16..the uzi was aproved in 3 weeks...still no word on my sear.

so ive got my RDIAS
And my inbound list is:HK sear(fleming),fullsized IMI uzi(registered bolt gun 9mm),ruger kac566k,mac10.

the mac and uzi are form4 inprocess 1 through dealer, the other i bought from a forum member individual to individual transfer.

form 3 is still pending on the ruger and hk.

Youve seen my pile of m16 hosts
my hk sear came in a hk91, i have MM build my mp5a3, and that HK21 with 3 caliber conversions and probibly 6 barrels.

needless to say i just spent 1/3 my lifesavings on guns.....its an investment though. My rdias has doubled in value since i bought it. unfortunately whatever i made on the M16.. i spent on ammo.

I paid for one... its form 3 was submitted with the form 3 for my uzi on around 9/1/16..the uzi was aproved in 3 weeks...still no word on my sear.

so ive got my RDIAS
And my inbound list is:HK sear(fleming),fullsized IMI uzi(registered bolt gun 9mm),ruger kac566k,mac10.

the mac and uzi are form4 inprocess 1 through dealer, the other i bought from a forum member individual to individual transfer.

form 3 is still pending on the ruger and hk.

Youve seen my pile of m16 hosts
my hk sear came in a hk91, i have MM build my mp5a3, and that HK21 with 3 caliber conversions and probibly 6 barrels.

needless to say i just spent 1/3 my lifesavings on guns.....its an investment though. My rdias has doubled in value since i bought it. unfortunately whatever i made on the M16.. i spent on ammo.

You know I secretly hate you right? It's only an investment if you sell it; otherwise it is an expense.

Last edited:
I was trying to post a video of terminator 3 weapons crypt scene.
"These weapons were stored in accordance with MGnoob's will"

Im fortune to have what i have... a lifetime's worth of gun (really more than that)
i just wish there was such a thing as a lifetime supply of ammo.

Im trying to stop being a baby and order 15k rounds of ammo for this years shoot, but my reloads are just some much cheaper. I just dont know if ill have the time. This is going to be a busy year.Last your was one of the best years of my life asfar as taking time off and shooting with you guys in NH

I was trying to post a video of terminator 3 weapons crypt scene.
"These weapons were stored in accordance with MGnoob's will"

Im fortune to have what i have... a lifetime's worth of gun (really more than that)
i just wish there was such a thing as a lifetime supply of ammo.

Im trying to stop being a baby and order 15k rounds of ammo for this years shoot, but my reloads are just some much cheaper. I just dont know if ill have the time. This is going to be a busy year.Last your was one of the best years of my life asfar as taking time off and shooting with you guys in NH

This might help

http://www.markvii-loading.com/Mark-7-650-PRO-Autodrive_p_39.html

Last edited:
I remember looking at Flemming sears back when I started getting into HK's and they were starting to go for just over $10k and I thought that was too much at the time. Now if you can find one under $20K that is a steal.

Lol, you wont find one under 20k.. the best i could imagine is 28k and most are 32k-38k depending on host gun.

When i bought my Rdias, hk sears were about 26k-28k with host. Now my rdias is worth more than hk sears and i only had to pay about 15% more for the hk sear 5-6 years later...so getting the RDIAS was really smart on my part and i knew this would play out this way.

Pm me about anything else..the OP is satisfied with the info so dont want to go any further off topic in his thread.

He isn't talking about a build, that would be easy; he wants the new H&K SP5K.

The easiest way to get a HK SP5K is to have a SOT buy one and make it a AOW by just putting a K grip on it and then transfer it to you on a Form 4 for a 5 dollar NFA stamp and what ever he charges for the transfer.

Then if you ever wanted you can pay the 200 NFA stamp to SBR it on a Form 1 if you wanted to.

Thats actually a really good soIution, but if your going to wait for a stamp i would recommend just going sbr

Back
Top Bottom