• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Soylent

I'm waiting for the real stuff, the Green. I will be in your next green cookie because I'm an oldster and ready to eat.

So, I'll chime in as someone who is an active Soylent user and interested in preppign. This stuff is fantastic. I constantly worry about food issues, and this is by far the most condensed, tasteful, complete stuff out there. It has a shelf life of about a year (which is low as far as 'long term prep' goes), but consider this. If you eat this as one of your primary foods (I eat 2 meals out of 3 as Soylent), you rotate your home stock, so you can always have 1 year ahead of your in stored food. Try doing that with MRE's. :)

A single bag is about the size of a waterbottle, and that's enough food for one day. And this isn't supplements or a stack of oranges or whatever. That's complete nutrition, nothing is missing.

I like the idea, but have heard more negative things than positive from nutritionists. I wouldn't pass it up if I was starving, but thinking multivitamins and some filler is going to replace the complexity of a balanced diet just seems unlikely.

Snora, I would like to hear what negative things have come from nutritionists. I haven't heard anything solid against Soylent other than "I wouldn't eat that, it's yucky."

FWIW, it's not multivitamins and filler. It's food. The 'fillter' is rice protein and maltodextrin. That makes up the bulk of the material. The rest is a combination fo what you'd get in a normal diet. Some things you can't do with multivitamins (hence the fish oil and canola oil).

It's pretty well thought out :)

Back
Top Bottom