Sox Slugger JD Martinez defends 2nd Amendment

Just listening to WEEI before the game, and they were making (manufacturing) a story out of the fact that Red Sox DH JD Martinez posted a meme on Instagram [IN 2012!] with a photo of hitler and the quote "to conquer a nation first disarm its citizens."

They just got an interview out of JD, and he didn't deny it - he defended it! He said [I'm paraphrasing]: I'm Cuban-American, my family saw first-hand what a brutal dictatorship is. There are family members I will never meet because of that. I love this country. I stand by the constitution and the 2nd Amendment.

Good on you, JD!

Here is some of what's out there (btw, Buckley sucks almost as much as Shaughnessy):
Buckley: Red Sox’ J.D. Martinez gets A for effort, F in history

and - Red Sox star JD Martinez's controversial Hitler and gun Instagram post resurfaces

Full actual quote:
"It was one of those things where I saw the quote and I saw the meme and it was terrible," Martinez said. "When I read that, it kind of threw me back [to thinking of Cuban relatives]. I posted it. That's one thing. I love my country. I love this country and I stand by the Constitution. I stand by the Second Amendment. It's something that I take pride in and something I'll back up."

More here:
J.D. Martinez, Red Sox star: Instagram post 'mostly just to state a political point at the time that I believed in'

Slightly off topic but I sometimes wonder if pro athletes look at the mentality of some locales and say "no effin way would I live or play there".
I guess n.y. and l.a. being desirable destinations might prove that isn't the case...

Writer of the article tries to discredit JD by saying this:

“The rhetoric of invoking Hitler is indefensible because it trivializes what he and the Nazis did,” Godwin said yesterday. “It’s historically inaccurate to state that Hitler wanted to take people’s guns away. If anything, he wanted all citizens to have guns, except Jews.

Does that not prove JD's point?

He has relatives in his young lifetime that lived under such tyranny.

"Martinez, whose family hails from Cuba, said that seeing the purported quote from Hitler make him think of relatives who lived under the regime of Fidel Castro. That struck a chord that led to his post."

JD was my favorite on the team before he said that. This is like putting frosting on top of frosting.

Slightly off topic but I sometimes wonder if pro athletes look at the mentality of some locales and say "no effin way would I live or play there".
I guess n.y. and l.a. being desirable destinations might prove that isn't the case...

Nah, it's not that they want to live and play in NY or LA because they find the location desirable. They want to live and play there because they know the teams in NY and LA will pay obscene amounts of money. Money rules everything.

So according that article you lose the argument once you use Nazis or Hitler to make your point. I wonder who has been throwing those two words around so much lately. o_O

I knew this guy would do well here and as much as I applaud his stance I wish these guys would just not talk politics or religion at the table.

I knew this guy would do well here and as much as I applaud his stance I wish these guys would just not talk politics or religion at the table.

I would agree with you but in this case he didn’t bring it up.

It was a social media post from 2012? Seems to be a trend now for people to go digging in athletes social media to find controversy. And when he was questioned on it he stood by it.

Solid move IMO

It was a social media post from 2012? Seems to be a trend now for people to go digging in athletes social media to find controversy. And when he was questioned on it he stood by it.

Solid move IMO
Putting it on social media is bringing it up

Solid move IMO

yes this is happening all over the place now...the same little pricks that do this are the same ones who rat out other students in class to the teacher...cowardly little sh*t stirrers...

Frickin Shaunnessy and all them Glob guys. The cool black dude is the only one worth it. (This is from when they were THE premier sports page pre-04, FWIW.). They all dumped on the Sox all during the 04 season. Bunch of mamby-pams. Then the Sox won and they were all, like, "Oh look. We love them." FU Glob Sports Team!

Sorry. Total thread jack. Martinez is the man. Ryan, Shaunny and the rest are total tools. (OK, Peter Gammons was pretty good. And back when they had Will McDonough. Gosh those were good times. Then Bob Ryan comes in and whines his way through it all.)

TBH, I avoid most sports reporting. It's total BS. It's soap operas for dudes. They don't talk so much on Spoitz Radio about sports. They talk about somewhat about what they THINK about sports. But the worst is when they talk about what someone ELSE thinks about Spoitz. I'm sorry. You're having a 3rd-hand conversation with a microphone. When did this become 7th grade homeroom???? Too many people on radio/TV/cable. Ergo the conversations have dwindled to 30min/day talking Red Sox to 6,000min/day talking Red Sox - so the stupid and obscure becomes commonplace.

Frickin Shaunnessy and all them Glob guys. The cool black dude is the only one worth it. (This is from when they were THE premier sports page pre-04, FWIW.). They all dumped on the Sox all during the 04 season. Bunch of mamby-pams. Then the Sox won and they were all, like, "Oh look. We love them." FU Glob Sports Team!

Sorry. Total thread jack. Martinez is the man. Ryan, Shaunny and the rest are total tools. (OK, Peter Gammons was pretty good. And back when they had Will McDonough. Gosh those were good times. Then Bob Ryan comes in and whines his way through it all.)

TBH, I avoid most sports reporting. It's total BS. It's soap operas for dudes. They don't talk so much on Spoitz Radio about sports. They talk about somewhat about what they THINK about sports. But the worst is when they talk about what someone ELSE thinks about Spoitz. I'm sorry. You're having a 3rd-hand conversation with a microphone. When did this become 7th grade homeroom???? Too many people on radio/TV/cable. Ergo the conversations have dwindled to 30min/day talking Red Sox to 6,000min/day talking Red Sox - so the stupid and obscure becomes commonplace.

I don't think it was a "total" thread jack. You kept it all to sports or sports related....lol. But what brought this to my attention is I saw him interviewed on Fox 25 this morning. I threw my hands up in a touchdown pose and yelled "YEAH!!!" and my wife was like "what's up?" and I told her to watch and she was like..."that's a good thing". But yeah, they grabbed something from a long time ago that he shared on SM...I wish they found more supporters of 2A like that. My guess is they tried to shame him and make him change his views. I was disappointed with his apology but glad he stuck to his guns...pun intended.

MVP
MVP
MVP
MVP
(no, seriously, even before this)
Deserves it with the numbers he is putting up, but I think with the revelation of this post on IG, he won't get a single vote. Think about WHO decides these awards...

His history may not be perfect but the douchebag sports writer phaggots are missing the real point of his post, which was more or less, "Want to stop this kind of tyranny? then citizens should be armed. "

Back
Top Bottom