1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Sox Despair Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by vellnueve, Sep 23, 2008.

1. vellnueve

vellnueve

They got in tonight!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008

2. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

It just never gets old. October Baseball is the best. It's like a snow day from school, or an personal day from work. It's magic. I love Baseball!!!!

3. Garys

Garys NES Member

A good win tonight, clinching just makes it better. They played tough tonight, which is what they are going to need to do to get past LA. Hopefully Lowell and Drew will return soon.

4. SKS Ray

SKS Ray Moderator NES Member

Papelbon looked more like his old self tonight which is definitely a good thing.

5. 2000GM

2000GM

Nope, NEVER gets old! Not for nothing, but Heidi Watney is pretty easy to look at when she's drenched in Bud Light and Champaign.

6. dreppucci007

dreppucci007 Moderator NES Member

7. vellnueve

vellnueve

This thread is useless without video.

8. Mike1911

Mike1911

9. vellnueve

vellnueve

Not exactly what I meant [wink]

Question is, with the Rays magic number at 2, should the Sox begin the process of resting their starters now? Or should they try to catch the Rays?

10. pernox

pernox

It's kind of a funny situation this year. Beckett and Matsuzaka had their extended vacations earlier in the year, so I'd like to see them kept close to slot personally. Lester's young and strong, and doesn't appear to NEED the rest. I'd not be at all surprised to see him get it, though, considering the IP totals he'll hit this year by the end of the (hopefully long [grin]) playoff run.

I'd love to see them win the division and dodge LAAAAAA, but it's not looking so hot with the Rays' schedule compared to the Sox - the Indians have something to prove after last year, and have been playing very well for the last month, and the Yankees will play Boston hard even if both teams were playing .450 ball all year. The Rays, on the other hand, have a Baltimore team that mailed it in sometime in July, and a Detroit team that felt at the outset of the season that they should've been the team to beat... Yet find themselves look UP at the Royals. Demoralized? Just maybe. [grin]

To me, the big question is who the fourth starter will be in the ALDS. It seems inevitable that the Halos will pick the ALDS series option that allows them to use four starters, as they likely feel that their fourth starter matches up quite favorably against either Wake or Byrd... So, from the Sox standpoint, who gets the nod in game four, assuming it goes that far? Wake's had a hell of a year, but tends to blow up occasionally and without warning, not to mention his propensity for allowing stolen bases against a team as aggressive as the Angels may not bode well. In Byrd, you have a guy that's probably going to go six innings, and give up four runs or less. Probably. But the upside of Byrd is significantly less than that of Wakefield, who, when "on" can make anybody look like they're taking Little League swings. Shoot for the moon, or go with the more stable commodity and hope the offense sans Drew and potentially Lowell can step up?

...I Love October baseball!!! [smile]

11. vellnueve

vellnueve

I think you hope for the ability to pitch Lester-Beckett-Matsuzaka-Lester-Beckett. If not, I'd take Wake over Byrd.

12. thalife

thalife

i was there last night in section 12, row 9, seat 7! was amazing. so much energy right from the start. and was the record for most consecutive sell-outs. didn't get close enough to get a base from pap though,

13. chowchow99

chowchow99

What I don't understand is what the HELL are they celebrating so out of control about?
    That they made the playoffs? The way they are celebrating it looks like they had just won the World Series.
    Big deal they made the playoffs. They are supposed to make the playoffs with the payroll that they have.
    They have plenty of work ahead of them to get where they need to be.
    Winning the World Series.
    Did any of the players on the Sox ever look to the ceiling of the garden. All they have there are Celtic championship banners (who cares about the Bruins banners). No division winners or any other crap like that.

14. vellnueve

vellnueve

It's traditional to celebrate wildly when a baseball team makes the playoffs, as it represents a much greater achievement than a NBA or NHL team doing so.

15. chowchow99

chowchow99

How would it be a much greater achievement than NBA? Maybe NHL but NBA? I think not.

16. jwilson

jwilson

I like our chances if we can stay healthy!

17. vellnueve

vellnueve

162 games vs 80. 8 playoff baseball teams vs 16 playoff NBA teams.

Any more questions?

18. pernox

pernox

That's what I hope for, as well.

Knowing Francona's deference to his own vets, one has to assume that Wake gets the nod. Gotta say, though, that if I'm in the dugout running the place, Byrd starts his warmup routine right after the first pitch, just in case. Don't get me wrong; I love Wakefield - seeing his face after '03 literally had me welling up a little - and since then he's done nothing but cement his legacy as the most consistently "good-but-not-earth-shatteringly-great" loyal soldier the Sox have had in a real long time. I occasionally watch my '04 DVDs just to re-live the white knuckled inning with 247 passed balls against the MFYs with 'Tek catching instead of 'Belli. ...But let's be honest - the dude can blow up sometimes.

With Jedi Masterson in the pen capable of going several innings without injury, since he was recently starting, the traditional "starter in the 'pen just in case" becomes less important in a five game series. I'd feel okay burning Byrd as insurance against a Wakefield collapse. And if Wake does great through five, bully for him and for us! Wouldn't surprise me a bit - the Angels do swing freely, and if the knuckler's dancing the right way, Vlad's maniacal hacks are the only thing with a chance to make contact. [grin]

What I really hope for is that the Sox continue to own LAAAAAAAAA in the playoffs like they have for the last twenty two years, and this fourth starter nonsense becomes a moot point. [smile]

Have I mentioned that I Love October baseball?

19. Urj

Urj

I was at Monday's game against Cleveland on the roof deck and was pretty dissapointed they didn't clinch it that night.

But

I just found out I've got roof deck tickets for the Sox/Yankee game Saturday! WUWU

20. vellnueve

vellnueve

So, the order is Lester, Matsuzaka, Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka. I'm sure they wanted Beckett first but apparently he tweaked something in his last bullpen session.

Also wonder if Francona will put Drew and Lowell on the roster with the chance that neither one may be healed in time to play in this series...

Let October begin!

21. SKS Ray

Two late evening starts for us East Coast folks... I'm already dragging ass at work the next day.[laugh]

22. SKS Ray

23. vellnueve

vellnueve

Yeah, I've already been very late the last two days. This won't help.

24. Garys

Garys NES Member

I just thought of this. If the Dodgers and Red Sox make it to the World Series, Manny Ramirez is guaranteed a ring no matter who wins.

How ironic is that?

25. EddieCoyle

EddieCoyle Consigliere Moderator NES Member

If I was pitching for the Sox, I'd throw the first pitch right at his head. If I missed, I'd repeat until successful.

F-ing quitter.

26. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman NES Door Greeter

I am excited for tonight but as everyone else trying to figure out how I can stay up for the whole thing. I think a nap is in order but that never happens.

I say its over in 4 - 1 win on the road and 2 back at Fenway.
    I hope John can come up big tonight.

27. Garys

Garys NES Member

Splitting in LA would be very good. Winning two would be even better, but either way winning the ALDS in Boston would be very nice.

I think a Dodgers Red Sox World Series would be terrific, but I'm getting way ahead of myself.

28. Half Cocked

Half Cocked

I agree....but the true baseball purists would rather see a Red Sox/Cubs series!!

29. Garys

Garys NES Member

Maybe, but I was thinking of the Red Sox alumni who are now in LA. Joe Torre too. He and Francona are friends and a World Series with them each managing one team would be great to watch.

Funny how getting rid of Torre didn't seem to fix the Yankees problems, isn't it?

30. mikem317

mikem317

You guys are staying up for it, eh? I hate these Oakland or Los Angeles games on the west coast. Way to late for me. I might try to sneak in a few innings.