Southborough Rod and Gun Club

Might just do that, thanks. And no shotgun = no trap [sad2]

I was in a similar situation to you. I knew no one there and didn't own a shotgun. Decided to give a Thursday Open to the public" night a try. Some of the nicest guys I've ever met there. Just about everyone there was urging me to try this shotgun or that shotgun. Was a great time! Almost even forgot to get my signatures that night til one of the guys asked if I needed a sponsor. We have a meeting there tonight. If you'd like a tour just ping me, I'll bring you around. I'm there quite often.
-Brian

Recent LTC recipient, NRA and Goal member, living in the Boston area, thinking about applying to SRG. One concern right off the bat: it looks like meetings are on Tuesdays but I have class Tuesday nights and I'd rather not wait till the summer when class is over to join a range. Any suggestions? Website also asks for TWO sponsors, yet I don't know a single member :/

It's a great group.. I just joined up myself. Met a bunch of people my first time there, and continue to meet more folks each time I go. Getting a few sponsors is very easy.. just show up and say hello.

You're more than welcome to shoot a round of trap with my shotgun, and in general a few of the guys have a spare for just such purposes.

It's a great group.. I just joined up myself. Met a bunch of people my first time there, and continue to meet more folks each time I go. Getting a few sponsors is very easy.. just show up and say hello.

You're more than welcome to shoot a round of trap with my shotgun, and in general a few of the guys have a spare for just such purposes.

^This...

I swear gun owners are some of the nicest people I've ever come across. Thanks all! I'll try to make it over this Sunday, schedule permitting. Brian, you might hear from me...

kalash... Tuesday nights are just the monthly meetings. If you're interested in joining, I'll be at the Club most (all) of Saturday (3/23) as an instructor for an NRA Basic Pistol course. Ask for Steve... I'll be around somewhere when not in front to the class. I can give you the nickle tour and can probably find you a couple sponsors.
If you can't make Saturday, we have a steel plate shoot Sunday morning at 10 (get there about 9:45). You're more than welcome to play with us... we don't bite. And then there's trap Sunday afternoon from 1 - 4.

Hey guys, kind of new to the forum here, I signed up a while back but never posted. I also recently joined the club. I had my orientation last week. I was just wondering what are the rules for the ammo that can be used for trap or skeet? I know that slugs can only be used at the outdoor range, is it the same for trap & skeet. Also I haven't done either before, whats the best way to get started? Should I just show up on a Sunday or Thursday? Thanks, Jason

Welcome to SR&G Jason. SR&G is "lead-free" at the top of the hill (trap & skeet) because we shoot out towards the Sudbury River. We shoot steel shot (#7) only.
We have ammo available for sale for use at the trap and skeet fields. It's $8/box of 25 rounds. Birds are $3 for members and $4 for non-members. The best way to see what its all about is to show up on a Sunday afternoon around 1 and tell the person behind the desk that you've never shot either trap or skeet (I'd suggest starting with trap) and would like some help. Mr. Happy (Mike) has been holding some informal introduction-to-trap lessons on Thursday nights. You can PM him here or get him through the Club's website (Southborough Rod & Gun Club). I won't be there tomorrow but will be the next Sunday. I have a couple people already that want to try it out so the more the merrier. We'll start around 1 and we'll be on a second field so you shouldn't worry about slowing things down or being thrown in with the more experienced shooters.
Don't worry about not having a shotgun... we'll find you a couple to try. Just don't blame me when you get hooked.

Last edited:
Welcome to SR&G Jason. SR&G is "lead-free" at the top of the hill (trap & skeet) because we shoot out towards the Sudbury River. We shoot steel shot (#7) only.
We have ammo available for sale for use at the trap and skeet fields. It's $8/box of 25 rounds. Birds are $3 for members and $4 for non-members. The best way to see what its all about is to show up on a Sunday afternoon around 1 and tell the person behind the desk that you've never shot either trap or skeet (I'd suggest starting with trap) and would like some help. Mr. Happy (Mike) has been holding some informal introduction-to-trap lessons on Thursday nights. You can PM him here or get him through the Club's website (Southborough Rod & Gun Club). I won't be there tomorrow but will be the next Sunday. I have a couple people already that want to try it out so the more the merrier. We'll start around 1 and we'll be on a second field so you shouldn't worry about slowing things down or being thrown in with the more experienced shooters.
Don't worry about not having a shotgun... we'll find you a couple to try. Just don't blame me when you get hooked.

Thanks for all the info, I won't be able to be there tomorrow either. But I know my brother is also interested so I'll pass the info a long to him in case he wants to go tomorrow. Thanks again.

Hello. Looking to join a club and southboro or marlboro seems the best place for me. Wondering about use during the weekday, as I would most likely use the range before noon weekdays
thanks

Last edited:
SR&G is available to members 24hrs a day. There are rules of course and requirements to be fulfilled before you can have full access. Indoor and outdoor range. Outdoor range is limited to daytime, see rules and regulations on the website. Stop by the club during a meeting, meet some people see what we are all about. I am sure someone will offer their "nickle tour" services shortly.

Hello. Looking to join a club and southboro or marlboro seems the best place for me. Wondering about use during the weekday, as I would most likely use the range before noon weekdays
thanks

The indoor range is not used all that much, especially during the week. Last time I used it before the Pistol League match, the last sign-in was that morning.

safetyfirst - see my DM.
Unfortunatley, the club (for the time being) is only open to members due to COVID but there is usually someone around on Saturdays and Sundays to give a tour of the facilities.
I'll be around Sunday for a pistol shoot at the outdoor range from 9 until noon and then at the trap fields from noon until around 2. Ask for Steve.

It looks like around 2008 the rifle range got cut down from 200 yards to just 100. Does anyone know why?

It looks like around 2008 the rifle range got cut down from 200 yards to just 100. Does anyone know why?
There was a ricochet round that found it's way off the property in 2008, resulting in the range being closed (due to a court case by the neighbors) for about a year until the range was rebuilt. Unfortunately, the 200-yard targets were about 50 feet higher than the rest of the range due to them being on a ledge outcropping, which meant we were shooting uphill to start. Our agreement in the court proceedings required us to build a berm to backstop the 50 and 100 yard targets which left no room for the 200 yard targets.

Anyone hear how the finance guy that got into the motorcycle accident is doing? I only met him twice but super nice guy. Terrible.

Is there any current Southborough member on this list that would be willing to show my wife and me around the club, and potentially sponsor us? Thanks in advance!
The annual spring cleanup is tomorrow from 8 until after noon. There will be plenty of people there, someone will show you around.

The annual spring cleanup is tomorrow from 8 until after noon. There will be plenty of people there, someone will show you around.
Or Sundays from noon til 3 at the trap and skeet fields at the top of the hill there will be members to show you the facilities.
Panama Red: Thanks! We'll come by. Hope to meet you.

The more the merrier. One of my first visits was a work party day. Picked up my second sponsor there and the years have rolled on. Hope to see you.

Back
Top Bottom