South Shore Recommendations

Looking for recommendations on joining a club in the south shore area. I prefer outdoor shooting over indoor shooting. Would also like to shoot shotgun (paper target).

Considering Holbrook / Braintree / Ames / Taunton....?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Braintree had nice facilities when I was there as a guest but I remember hearing (often) that the RSOs are a PITA. Not sure if that has changed.

Taunton is fine but has a long wait period.

Braintree had nice facilities when I was there as a guest but I remember hearing (often) that the RSOs are a PITA. Not sure if that has changed.

Taunton is fine but has a long wait period.

I’ve never had a bad experience with any RSO at Braintree, but there’s no guarantee one will be there which effectively means no outdoor shooting.

Mansfield is awesome but has a wait list.
Very true. A few of us didn't renew this year, leaving some open spots. However, they do have a waiting list, but are definitely worth it. They are taking another year to figure out what the actual cost is to run the new indoor range prior to considering raising the membership cap (now at 1000).

I RSO at Braintree and I AM AWESOME. Jokes aside. Great club. Pay your fees, no work party. Most week days outdoor
range is pretty much wide open. I am doing my best to erase the FUDD RSO theme/ rumor mill.
I was a member for 20 yrs and RSO from the time that program began (accusations of bullets hitting buildings 600+ yds downrange) until the end of 2018 when I bought my NH home.

I attended the monthly RSO meetings, and there were only ~3 or 4 RSOs who vocally disapproved of "those newfangled guns" (ARs/AKs) and were likely a huge PITA to members on the range. The rest of us just made sure people abided by basic safety rules so that nobody got hurt. There were 2 or 3 RSOs who I avoided and would never shoot outdoors during their shifts.

The RSO program is a volunteer program and during workday hours, staffed mostly by retired guys. Medical appointments, sickness, family issues do sometimes get in the way and a few shifts only had 1 person on the schedule, so one could find the ranges closed due to staffing problems. I had a weekend morning shift and there were 3 of us on that shift. We all communicated if something happened and one of us couldn't make it, so there was always coverage on our shift. I always told people to bring pistols for indoor shooting, just in case the outdoor ranges were closed.

BR&P is a great club, but read the rules on www.brp.org and see if it meets your needs.

Back
Top Bottom