• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

South Shore Club Recommendations

Just moved to the S. Shore from N. Shore and looking for a new club/range. Currently only have handguns, but looking at my 1st shotgun.

Any recommendations for a good club on the S. Shore. I've been looking (online) at a few who offer fishing also. That could be a plus but not required.

Looking for a clean indoor / outdoor range, that isn't over crowded.

I've been looking at Scituate R&G, but have heard they're having all kinds of legal problems.

Marshfield looks good, Hanson possibly, open to others. Any experience at any of these?

Thanks for your help.

I'm a member at Holbrook and Standish in EB.

Holbrook is very nice, but sometimes very busy too. They have a lot of members.

Standish isn't as nice, but still would have everything you need. Never busy, not clicky, and just a no frills club. There's a show this weekend, check it out.

Am a member and RO for BRP.... Awesome indoor ranges (two) and a decent outdoor ranges.... Holbrook has better shotgun ranges but for pistol BRP is hard to beat....

I've been a member at marshfield for the last 10 years.

Gorgeous grounds. Nice 200 yard outdoor range and a 24/7 indoor club. It's a little "fuddy" though. 6 round mag limit, no outdoor steel target, no close range for shooting rifles, etc.

Awesome thread here! There seems to be very little info on south shore clubs. I will upfront admit I'm a noob. I'm in the process of getting my LTC A and as such am doing research. I'm interested in joining a club that offers pistol comp, skeet/trap/sporting shooting, and doesn't have Fuddy rules as I'm also interested in 3gun. I'm from Marshfield but it seems the club in town makes you take THEIR NRA safety course to join even if you have an LTC A or done the NRA course! Plymouth on the other hand seems to offer what I'm looking for but I haven't seen it talked about much here. Also, it doesnt say on their website if there are round limits. Any info on Plymouth would be great. Thanks!

Awesome thread here! There seems to be very little info on south shore clubs. I will upfront admit I'm a noob. I'm in the process of getting my LTC A and as such am doing research. I'm interested in joining a club that offers pistol comp, skeet/trap/sporting shooting, and doesn't have Fuddy rules as I'm also interested in 3gun. I'm from Marshfield but it seems the club in town makes you take THEIR NRA safety course to join even if you have an LTC A or done the NRA course! Plymouth

Yup, that's true, I'm not sure when the rule was put into effect (? Last couple of years). I'm not sure if it's for liability or just a money maker. I don't agree with it at all.

When I was looking into Plymouth I was a little put of at paying additional fees every time I used the range. The place is nice though. I really like Hanson for outdoor shooting and Braintree for the indoor ranges. Holbrook is also a nice club, I just did not have the time to put in the initial time to get my access badge. If you want to check out either Braintree or Hanson shoot me a PM and I'll show you around.

If you are on the south shore the easiest (and cheapest) is New Bedford rifle range on Woodcock rd in Dartmouth, 40$ if you live in the area $60 outside and that's it no extra fees etc. it's all out side but plenty of room, pistol and .22 range, 200 yd rifle and shotgun, 500ish long rifle.

+1 for Braintree. The 2 indoor ranges are awesome for this time of year. Can't wait for warmer weather for the outdoor ranges.

One thing maybe to consider is that for Shotgun, they have trap only. Might be something to consider if you are seriously looking into shotgun.

Another Standish member here. As Boxer says it isn't as nice as many of the other clubs.

However, the other side of the coin is this. We are a smaller club with a 300 member limit (life members do not count toward that number) as such i have never had a situation where i have had to wait in line to do something. Right now there is about a 2 year waiting list to get in. Our dues are less than just about any other club around at $80 a year. We have a trap field, skeet field, indoor and outdoor archery ranges, indoor and outdoor pistol ranges, a 100 rifle range, horseshoesAxexe throwing and a dart board set up.

Sunday morning trap is open to the public - we start at 10:00 am.
Today we ran our Easter Ham Shoot, a bit late but we had 2 weekends of 3D shoots in a row that pushed the Ham shoot to today. In these "Special" shoots we run it so that everyone has a chance to win - good shooters and beginners alike. What we do is run 5 roundqualifiersifers to getqualifiersifers from each round, which gives us 10 shooter for 2 Finals rounds. In all of these rounqualifierlifer is the high scorer and the second is frBlackbirdkBird (lucky target), if the blackbird comes out on your shot and you hit it, you qualify to get into the finals or if it is the final round you win a prize whatever it is, today it was hams. If you miss the Blackbird, the next person to hit his shot is counted as the Blackbird and they qualify/win. the non-member cost is $3.50 a round.

We have also started a Thursday night trap shoot that is open to the public and is done on the Third Thursday of the month from 5 to 8 pm with the exception of this Thursday, which, because of another club event, will be held this Friday instead at the same time.

here is a link to the clubs website Standish Sportsman's Association

Back
Top Bottom