• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

South a big exporter of guns used in crime

Notice the butt boys Menino and Bloomberg are behind this. Anyone who doesn't think the big democrat gun grab isn't coming is delusional

By SEANNA ADCOX
Associated Press Writer

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Ten states are responsible for the bulk of illegal guns that are shipped across state lines for use in crimes, according to a report released Friday by a national coalition of mayors.

About 30 percent of guns traced by federal agents in 2006 and 2007 during crime investigations were bought in a state other than where the crime occurred, said the report by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, which largely blamed the transport of illegal guns on states with lax gun laws.

For 2007, the top sources for guns used in crimes elsewhere were Georgia, Florida, Texas, Virginia, California, Ohio, North Carolina, Indiana, Pennsylvania and Alabama.

However, the report's authors placed greater emphasis on per-capita exports of guns, saying that data is a better indicator of lax gun laws. The gun-friendly South accounted for a disproportionate amount of the problem when population size was factored in, according to the report.

West Virginia is the top exporter, per capita, of illegal guns, with 41 traced guns per 100,000 state residents, followed by Mississippi, at 39 guns per 100,000, and South Carolina, at 31. The average national rate is 11 exported guns. Kentucky, Alabama, Virginia, Georgia, Indiana, Nevada, and North Carolina round out the top 10 exporting states, per capita, reads the report, titled "The Movement of Illegal Guns In America: The Link between Gun Laws and Interstate Trafficking."

"States with larger populations and states with greater gun sales volumes may be expected to be a source of more crime guns," the report read.

But the report said per capita rates can "more accurately determine which states are disproportionate suppliers of interstate crime guns."

A spokesman for New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a co-founder of the mayors' group, said the report is meant to raise awareness.

"Clearly, a small number of states are contributing to a very dangerous national problem," said Mark LaVorgna. "The lack of effort in some states is causing gun crimes in other states that have strong laws."

Guns bought in Hawaii, the District of Columbia - which had banned handguns for 30 years - New Jersey and Massachusetts are least likely to be recovered in a crime elsewhere, the report said.

A spokesman for the National Rifle Association declined to comment on the report, saying the group had not had time to review it.

South Carolina Rep. Mike Pitts, an ardent gun rights supporter, said the state's high ranking doesn't surprise him. He recalled a burglary at his home, saying the thief stole about a dozen of his guns.

"It's not our lax gun laws. It's our high crime rate that causes the problems," said the Laurens Republican, a retired police officer and a National Assembly of Sportsmen's Caucuses committee member. "What's happening is people break into my home, steal my guns and get a premium price by taking it to other states and selling them."

LaVorgna scoffed at Pitts' argument, saying the data is clear, and that break-ins occur in all states.

The report analyzed five gun laws, noting that weapons purchased at gun shows - where background checks on buyers aren't required - could be bought for criminal purposes. Only nine states and Washington, D.C., require some form of check for handgun sales at gun shows.

"This so-called 'gun show loophole' allows individuals who are prohibited from possessing or purchasing firearms, such as convicted felons and persons with mental illness, to sidestep the background check and obtain guns from unlicensed sellers at gun shows," the report reads.

A spokesman for South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, who signed a bill removing the one-a-month limit on how many handguns a person can buy, said state laws are not the problem.

"We think we have adequate controls in place," said Joel Sawyer. "Unfortunately, criminals are always going to find a way to circumvent the process."

The mayors' group, co-founded by Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, is made up of more than 340 mayors from across the country, concentrated in the Northeast, Florida and California.

Their report is based on data from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which traces guns recovered at crime scenes.

It noted that traced guns don't represent all guns used in crimes because some guns are never recovered and because some police agencies don't trace every gun found at a crime scene. It also specifies the ATF often can't determine where a gun came from due to inaccurate record-keeping by gun makers and retailers. In 2007, 40 percent of trace attempts were successful. But the report concludes there's no evidence failed traces distort its findings, since incomplete traces don't vary substantially between states.

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.
[Get Copyright Permissions]Click here for copyright permissions!
Copyright 2008 Associated Press

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/ILLEGAL_GUNS?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Gee, at all the local Neighborhood Crime Watch Meetings, the police are telling the citizens that NH and the other NE states are the major source of "illegal guns" in Boston. Somebody doesn't have their stories straight. During the question and answer period, written questions submitted by attendees were read and answered. My question was not allowed. I wrote," Would you agree that getting the criminals off the streets would be the best way to eliminate or reduce the number of "illegal guns?" The moderator shook her head and dropped the card.
That's the way things go in Menino Land. If you do not follow lock and step with the belief that "guns are the problem", you are scoffed at and dismissed.
I'm not surprised that the new focus of the Mad Mayors is accusing the Southern States of being responsible for the cities problems.
Best regards.

Gee, at all the local Neighborhood Crime Watch Meetings, the police are telling the citizens that NH and the other NE states are the major source of "illegal guns" in Boston. Somebody doesn't have their stories straight. During the question and answer period, written questions submitted by attendees were read and answered. My question was not allowed. I wrote," Would you agree that getting the criminals off the streets would be the best way to eliminate or reduce the number of "illegal guns?" The moderator shook her head and dropped the card.
That's the way things go in Menino Land. If you do not follow lock and step with the belief that "guns are the problem", you are scoffed at and dismissed.
I'm not surprised that the new focus of the Mad Mayors is accusing the Southern States of being responsible for the cities problems.
Best regards.

I gotta come to one of these meeting. My f'ing head will explode.

For 2007, the top sources for guns used in crimes elsewhere were Georgia, Florida, Texas, Virginia, California, Ohio, North Carolina, Indiana, Pennsylvania and Alabama.

Gee, California? Who'd of thought that? How come they don't talk about how their strict gun control laws are preventing gun traffickers from buying guns in California? Aren't handguns in California registered, with no FTF sales allowed? However could this happen then? Stolen guns maybe?

How about Virginia? One gun a month law, that sure stopped their trafficking issues, huh?

I also like how they make it sound like 40% of gun traces fail because of poor firearms industry record-keeping. Gun traces start with the industry, and then go to people, and I'd imagine that's where the trail could go cold.

This issue isn't states with lax laws, the issue is criminals committing crimes. Even if we made every state in the US as restricted as New Jersey, for instance, or NYC, there'd still be other countries with lax gun laws.

Look at Brazil, they have a national gun registry, very hard for anyone to legally get a gun, and 36,000 firearms homicides per year, the firearm homicide capitol of the world IIRC. They don't take registered guns off the street, they come in through Columbia or anywhere else.

What scares me is people believe this crap, and vote that way.

Huh?

I thought you couldn't ship a gun from one state to another without using an FFL.

Wait...

Are we talking about criminals again?

About 30 percent of guns traced by federal agents in 2006 and 2007 during crime investigations were bought in a state other than where the crime occurred, said the report by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, which largely blamed the transport of illegal guns on states with lax gun laws.

That means 70% of the ones traced were bought in the state the crime was committed in!!! WTF are they going after other states for when they clearly have a problem more than twice the size at home.[rolleyes]

PS: I also call bullshit on this one:
But the report said per capita rates can "more accurately determine which states are disproportionate suppliers of interstate crime guns."

The relevant metric is not per capita, but per gun owner. In MA we have what, 2% of the population owning some form of firearm. In SC it is more like 40% of the population so that means more likelihood for guns in homes that are burglarized, etc; Oh man, I knew these knobs were cooking the stats books, but this is really bad science straight up.

Last edited:
That means 70% of the ones traced were bought in the state the crime was committed in!!! WTF are they going after other states for when they clearly have a problem more than twice the size at home.[rolleyes]

Please stop using your voodoo math and FACTS.

Once you start relying on emotion and opinion, everything will become crystal clear. [wink]

The relevant metric is not per capita, but per gun owner. In MA we have what, 2% of the population owning some form of firearm. In SC it is more like 40% of the population so that means more likelihood for guns in homes that are burglarized, etc; Oh man, I knew these knobs were cooking the stats books, but this is really bad science straight up.

Lies, damn lies and statistics, etc.

I want to go to one of the gun shows in another state, where, obviously, people who does not have an FFL are setting up tables and selling hundreds of guns w/o NICS checks!

I love the 'loophole' lie.

Geee, the one thing they don't talk about is how these tools sprout legs and start walking to another state. Do the owners move? Are they straw sales? Are they stolen?

I wonder what states are the biggest exporters of violent criminals to their neighbors. How come I don't see the mayors of New Hampshire and Vermont cities holding press conferences to complain about the mutts that wander northwest from Meninostan? Maybe if Massachusetts could manage to lock people up for a few weeks after they've been arrested 3-4 times on separate felony charges and a couple of failures to appear, VT and NH's already lowest crime rates in the nation would drop even further.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom