Sources for AK? Kit or Complete?

kevin9

NES Member
What sources do people people recommend for AK47-like semi-automatic rifles?

I'm not exactly sure which Ak variant would be best. I've tried MrTwigg's SAR-1 and liked it, in part due to the side-mount quick-detach scope mount. I understand there are some issues with WASR rifles only accepting certain magazines (single stack?). I would like the option to attach a drum magazine if I so choose. I've also read that Yugo AK barrels are not chrome lined, probably for the same reason their SKSs are not. What other variants are worth considering?

Should I consider a kit versus a completed rifle? I gather building an AK can range from somewhat more complicated than assembling an AR to full-blown bending, heat-treating and welding. I know the later is too much, but I do have basic metal-working capabilities (grinding, drilling, polishing, simple OA welding). Does anybody know how hard it is to assemble the kits from http://www.ak-47.org?

TIA
Kevin

I have a WASR-10 and love it. The sites line up, and fit and finish are very good. It accepts Hi-Cap mags and the drum fit with just the slightest grinding with the Dremel to remove a burr.
I didn't want to build an AK up so for $339 I didn't argue.

Miss the days of Chinese AKs for $159.

I would just go with a completed rifle, preferably one that hasn't been gutted to allow the addition of hicap mags.

There are lots of options. IMHO, if you can find a quality receiver, you can
change furniture and the fire control group to whatever quality level you desire.
In my recent search, that was my prime criterion. Everything else I could
fix myself. I ended up with a very clean stamped MAK90 (with an uncut
back!) for a good price. That means I will be replacing 5 parts with US made
parts to put it into the normal configuration and lose the thumbhole, but when
I am done I will have spent about $450 on a very high quality AK.

I talked with almost every shop around and WASR-10s are everywhere at
about the same price. Some have Arsenal Bulgarians at the ~$700 range and then you
get into the prebans. However, there are a few overlooked ones such as
a MAADI thumbhole, NHM91 thumbhole w/bipod and a few Saigas that are
all under $500 (most WAY under) that with a hundred bucks in parts will
make a sweet AK. (Let me know if you need info for any of these)

Just my $.02.

F

I've been doing some looking online and I think a WASR-10 in good shape might be good enough for me.

The two features I really want are a pistol grip and the side scope mount. Based on what I've seen online it appears that the Saiga does not have a pistol grip because the trigger assembly has been moved back versus a regular AK configuration. That would rule it out. I found instructions to convert it, but that seemed to be more trouble than it's worth.

firtree, I would appreciate info you have on the MAADI, NHM91, and where you saw good deals on the WASRs, particularly if they have the side scope mount.

TIA
Kevin

Back
Top Bottom