Sources for AK? Kit or Complete?

kevin9

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What sources do people people recommend for AK47-like semi-automatic rifles?

I'm not exactly sure which Ak variant would be best. I've tried MrTwigg's SAR-1 and liked it, in part due to the side-mount quick-detach scope mount. I understand there are some issues with WASR rifles only accepting certain magazines (single stack?). I would like the option to attach a drum magazine if I so choose. I've also read that Yugo AK barrels are not chrome lined, probably for the same reason their SKSs are not. What other variants are worth considering?

Should I consider a kit versus a completed rifle? I gather building an AK can range from somewhat more complicated than assembling an AR to full-blown bending, heat-treating and welding. I know the later is too much, but I do have basic metal-working capabilities (grinding, drilling, polishing, simple OA welding). Does anybody know how hard it is to assemble the kits from http://www.ak-47.org?

TIA
Kevin

JonJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have a WASR-10 and love it. The sites line up, and fit and finish are very good. It accepts Hi-Cap mags and the drum fit with just the slightest grinding with the Dremel to remove a burr.
I didn't want to build an AK up so for $339 I didn't argue.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Miss the days of Chinese AKs for $159.

I would just go with a completed rifle, preferably one that hasn't been gutted to allow the addition of hicap mags.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
There are lots of options. IMHO, if you can find a quality receiver, you can
change furniture and the fire control group to whatever quality level you desire.
In my recent search, that was my prime criterion. Everything else I could
fix myself. I ended up with a very clean stamped MAK90 (with an uncut
back!) for a good price. That means I will be replacing 5 parts with US made
parts to put it into the normal configuration and lose the thumbhole, but when
I am done I will have spent about $450 on a very high quality AK.

I talked with almost every shop around and WASR-10s are everywhere at
about the same price. Some have Arsenal Bulgarians at the ~$700 range and then you
get into the prebans. However, there are a few overlooked ones such as
a MAADI thumbhole, NHM91 thumbhole w/bipod and a few Saigas that are
all under $500 (most WAY under) that with a hundred bucks in parts will
make a sweet AK. (Let me know if you need info for any of these)

Just my $.02.

F

kevin9

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've been doing some looking online and I think a WASR-10 in good shape might be good enough for me.

The two features I really want are a pistol grip and the side scope mount. Based on what I've seen online it appears that the Saiga does not have a pistol grip because the trigger assembly has been moved back versus a regular AK configuration. That would rule it out. I found instructions to convert it, but that seemed to be more trouble than it's worth.

firtree, I would appreciate info you have on the MAADI, NHM91, and where you saw good deals on the WASRs, particularly if they have the side scope mount.

TIA
Kevin

Top Bottom