sooooooo!!!!!

boscru

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
is it just me??? watching libs in the last year on tv, they start every response with so. came to a head with me in the last two days watching stephanie pollack, DOT spokeperson, starting EVERY response with so....... if it's only me who is bugged by this gimmee hell

MisterHappy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
It's been going on for a while, now

There was a discussion on NPR a while back, and the basic analysis is that it's used when one is going to explain a concept, so that the answer to the question will be in context, or the listener will be sufficiently informed of the background that the answer will be intelligible.

And, it's used as a "space filler" a la Teddy "The Blimp" Kennedy with his "er....um...."s

So......

does that make sense?

[wink]

boscru

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
It's been going on for a while, nowThere was a discussion on NPR a while back, and the basic analysis is that it's used when one is going to explain a concept, so that the answer to the question will be in context, or the listener will be sufficiently informed of the background that the answer will be intelligible.And, it's used as a "space filler" a la Teddy "The Blimp" Kennedy with his "er....um...."s So......does that make sense?[wink]
i guess 12 years of catholic school and a rap on the knuckles for starting a sentence or paragraph with "so" is evoking repressed memories of abuse for me.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You know, ya but, let me say this, that's a good question..... life is too short for me to waste on people like that. When someone says to me, "You know what?" I answer yes and walk away.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy when people end a discussion with so instead of actually explaining what it is they mean, leaving me to figure it out.

Top Bottom