Soon......

bdb

NES Member
Just picked up a new Dillon 550 today fully setup for .45 and 9mm. I am going to take ECs class and do a ton of reading and research and am excited to get back into loading. I used to do .303 British on a simple old single stage but that was 25 years ago. I started getting things setup tonight and realized quickly that right now I am definitely in over my head :)

Just picked up a new Dillon 550 today fully setup for .45 and 9mm. I am going to take ECs class and do a ton of reading and research and am excited to get back into loading. I used to do .303 British on a simple old single stage but that was 25 years ago. I started getting things setup tonight and realized quickly that right now I am definitely in over my head :)

I'm kind of in the same boat...just got a Dillon 550b myself about two weeks ago...Have it mostly set up but haven't reloaded anything with it yet. I found there to be a plethora of great youtube videos that helped me out tremendously...(the setup manual is vague on some stuff). I think I might actually get a chance to start reloading some .223 on it this weekend. I've been reloading on an RCBS Jr. for about 25 years but I've been looking at Dillon stuff for at least 10 years. I finally got motivated enough to save up a bit of $$$ and buy one.

Have fun with the new setup.

Take the class....
get a good digital caliper/micrometer for measuring Over All Length (OAL) of completed round.
Get a good scale for measuring powder drops.
Watch a metric ton of youtube videos.
Do one cartridge at a time until you are comfortable with the entire process and can repeat it consistently.
You can then start picking up speed as you get more completed rounds under your belt. remember that it is not a race to complete as many rounds as possible but rather to complete them all error free.

Good luck and enjoy.

So, I am setting the press up and found this spring on the floor of my shop after a bunch of work. It appears new and I suspect it's from the Dillon. That said I looked at all the parts lists and diagrams and don't see it. It's not the spring that goes under the ball for indexing. Anyone recognize this spring??

image.jpg

As far as I can see on my 550, there are only two springs that remotely look like that picture. The one under the ball and the one that sits under the white bushing on the down rod coming down from the powder measure and it's neither of those. I see no other coil springs on the exploded drawing in the manual

Timbo that is what I though as well I just found it too much of a coincidence. Guess I am fine but thought it was wise to check here as well.

So, I am setting the press up and found this spring on the floor of my shop after a bunch of work. It appears new and I suspect it's from the Dillon. That said I looked at all the parts lists and diagrams and don't see it. It's not the spring that goes under the ball for indexing. Anyone recognize this spring??

View attachment 137202

I'm pretty sure that spring goes under the ball bearing on the base for the shell plate. The spring for the powder measure is held in place with a wing nut.

I'm pretty sure that spring goes under the ball bearing on the base for the shell plate. The spring for the powder measure is held in place with a wing nut.

I already have one under the bearing. It is a straight spring with no taper like this one. The powder measure has it's spring also. Still a mystery to me and maybe not related to the Dillon at all.

Back
Top Bottom