Soon-to-be new shooter - what's the Handgun / Ammo situation in MA?

He's got to hit Four Season's - it's a rite of passage.
He'll be able to hold a wide range of guns and Carl might even have some ammo put back for folks who buy a gun.

Then he can sit in front of the computer refreshing the Target Sports homepage until it shows his caliber, like the rest of us.

haha, this is pretty much exactly what I did.

Four Seasons definitely had stuff in a few weeks ago. Might not find exactly what you want, but you'll be sure to find something. Ammo was being rationed, and that seems to be the much trickier piece of the puzzle at the moment. Good luck!

Make friends with a gun store. Maybe pay a little more to the small business owner and It might help you in the end.

My first stop would be "the mill" with about 30 FFL's (Jack can correct me) under one roof.
My second stop would be the NES classifieds

Good luck

In the short term it's not looking good, sorry. Make friends and connections at the range, competitions, and good gun shops (Mass Firearms or Gartmann are great). Sometimes you'll run into an old timer looking to get rid of cases of ammo for cheap. In the long term, you'll want to stock up during the good times. It's obvious, but some dudes don't prepare.

Reloading is always a good idea. The Dillon Square Deal B will make several hundred rounds per hour once you can get primers, powder and bullets. The pistol powder situation is not terrible if you find the right online vendor (we don't name vendors here). Coated projectiles are still shipping from the small shops that are popular with competition shooters, but with a longer than usual wait time. Primers are what everyone hoards - or prudently manages their inventory of, depending on perspective.

Good luck dude!

He'll be able to hold a wide range of guns and Carl might even have some ammo put back for folks who buy a gun.

Then he can sit in front of the computer refreshing the Target Sports homepage until it shows his caliber, like the rest of us.

Yep and they have used Shields in stock... albeit not the 2.0...

Smith & WessonM&P SHIELD9mm $299.952 MAGS
Smith & Wesson RECENTM&P SHIELD9mm
$299.95​
FACTORY BOX, 3 MAGS
Smith & Wesson VERY RECENTM&P SHIELD9mm
$299.95​
FACTORY BOX, 2 MAGS
Smith & Wesson VERY RECENTM&P SHIELD9mm
$299.95​
FACTORY BOX, 2 MAGS

If I had to flint there is no way I would reduce myself to that trash.

Taurus G3 is probably the best skinflint pistol going right now that I would take a flying leap at, if I had to. When you pick it up you're like "Is this actually a Taurus product? how come its not all f***ed up?" [rofl]
That's the rub. When no one can find guns... The 'Uglies' come out of the woodwork... [rofl2]

Go on Saturday...

Let's say Metrowest Boston but happy to travel outside 495 or to NH if it helps.
Hi metro-west, that was my area until I escaped the PRM. Now I live in exile in southern NH. Oh sorry, I meant to say "now I live among the Free Folk north of The Wall" But welcome to NES.

I can't imagine ammo is better in MA, I had to go to 2 different shops to 2 boxes os overpriced 9mm. One of the others had nothing, and the third had just 20rnd boxes of "defensive" ammo, and a sign that said NH residents only. So, depending on what you're looking for the supply could be tight.

Welcome! Best bet is to call around and see who has what. Check the used gun pages of stores that have them online as well. Will be hard to get anything decent new in a timely manner.

PS this thread is hilarious[smile]

Last edited:
*old-timely hobo voice*

I heard tell there’s ammo out in Cali-fornee. It flows like wine and a man can just dip his ammo can and get what he needs...

Edit: Jokes aside, keep reading on here. Don’t be afraid of private sales. If you’re persistent, flexible and willing to pay what the current market demands, you’ll have a firearm soon enough.

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Four Seasons has been my go-to gun shop since the mid 90 s. I can't even remember how many guns I bought from Carl, he's the owner. Since the Obama era, all of us gun owners have gone through some difficult times. But despite all that I have always managed to get what I needed from Carl. I can't really say what it's going to look like in October. It could be worse than it is today. But still, I'm sure you will be able to get something. Also, lots of guys sell guns and ammo here. Good luck and safe shooting.

He also said he’d travel. So, from four seasons down to Gartman, B&K in Natick, GFA is in Natick as well. He’s got options.

Edit- oddly enough, the last time I was in bAssPro in foxboro (clay pigeons) they had a decent selection of guns. Ammo? Not so much.
This was super helpful - thanks!

FN has an excellent pedigree - sure why not?
Welcome Frank, aside from where you are located it would help to know what your needs are. Self defense, home defense, hunting? All lawful purposes of course. Do you want to carry? B&K sales in Natick has an up to date list of stock. Sig P938 or P238 if you are looking to carry. Easy to shoot with single action only. Whatever you choose if you want to carry make sure it isn’t too big. You can’t go wrong with a revolver like a smaller j frame. S&W 642 was my first carry gun. Four Seasons as well as many others usually stock them, although like everyone says stock is low right now. Ammo is scarce like everyone says but it’s out there. I went to Cabelas the other day and there was 2 100 round boxes of 9 which is the Most popular. I recently purchased a small caliber .32 Partly because .32 isn’t so popular that the shelves aren’t so empty as the larger self defense ammo. Good luck, and don’t take any of the banter personal.

He also said he’d travel. So, from four seasons down to Gartman, B&K in Natick, GFA is in Natick as well. He’s got options.

I can say Brian (owner) at B&K is a solid guy. He can help you through your first purchase easily. You may pay a little more than at Four Seasons but it will probably be a positive experience.

A current list in Natick as an example. Thats the new gun list. They have used also. Northshore said it right. The thing that will keep me going back is they are one of the few shops that actually have a current list of stock. When I bought my Seecamp there I called and asked him to hold one for me. He did. I had visions of a soup line out the door with the way times are now. It wasn’t the case,lol

34389D5A-7A22-42BF-B8BD-9C543F77C9D7.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom