Soon-to-be new shooter - what's the Handgun / Ammo situation in MA?

Let's say Metrowest Boston but happy to travel outside 495 or to NH if it helps.

@frankkelly
Check out Mass Firearms School, they can do training, and have a range where you can try out some guns, and get some private instruction to get you up to speed.

Last edited:
I am dying here.. Didn’t make it past page 1 on the thread and have snorted most of my Sam Adams out the nose while waiting for my take out pizza. Can’t wait to get home and see pages 2 through 5. Some of the funniest No Ammo For You replies.. This thread delivers.

He's been waiting for that post since June!

Reminds me of this one..Panacea... Sienfeld...

Welcome! And don't pay any attention to Broc and his .40 comments. He's still upset that a .40 shooter at the range made fun of his Gucci man purse. He says it's a satchel and that Indiana Jones has one, but we all know it's a man purse.

There's ammo out there somewhere in MA, you just have to look a little harder.

ab823d24f620c5cec73a503ee0e4d794.jpg
its-not-a-man-purse-its-a-tactical-bag.jpg

Yep and they have used Shields in stock... albeit not the 2.0...

Smith & WessonM&P SHIELD9mm $299.952 MAGS
Smith & Wesson RECENTM&P SHIELD9mm
$299.95​
FACTORY BOX, 3 MAGS
Smith & Wesson VERY RECENTM&P SHIELD9mm
$299.95​
FACTORY BOX, 2 MAGS
Smith & Wesson VERY RECENTM&P SHIELD9mm
$299.95​
FACTORY BOX, 2 MAGS
Remember to add $100 for an Apex kit

Hi Everyone,

First post here from a soon-to-be new shooter and total newb to firearms - fingerprints taken mid-August so hoping to get LTC mid-October.
Anyway I've been seeing reports of handguns sold-out and ammunition too so I just wanted to see what the situation is out there in MA - say if I get my LTC mid-October
where do you recommend should I go to purchase (for example) an M&P 2.0 9mm or Sig P320 within a few days?

Thanks in advance

-Frank
Welcome! I'm going to offer some different advice, why not buy a good quality pellet replica of the gun you think you like, a good holster for same (it will fit the firearm too), CO2 and a few tins of pellets. There's no ammo shortage, you can get started practicing while you wait for your LTC, and when winter comes & its a frozen wasteland you can shoot indoors or in your backyard. And start the process of looking for a club to join ASAP, and join GOAL & COMM2A.

Hi Frank! I travel about for work alot mostly central and western ma. And like to stop in to gun stores when I do so. Times are tough for sure, but guns can be had. Your on the right path thinking of popular guns like s&w (Shields are abundant for sure) and sig p320 as these are almost all anyone has! Or maybe alternatively you jave a but ton of cash, there is always custom stuff available (at a cost). I was recently in the gun rack in turners falls (you can see their inventory on line) a drive for sure, But they were quite well stocked. Ammo on the other hand, good luck on that.

Let's say Metrowest Boston but happy to travel outside 495 or to NH if it helps.

Welcome Frank. Glad you got your thick skin on. Take a little trip out to Mass Firearms 100 Kuniholm Drive Holliston, MA 01746 | Phone: (800) 308-6212. for $25 you can get a day pass to their indoor range and for $10 you can try out different guns to see what fits your needs. They also offer training and instruction for live fire. I used to be a member there and have taken training there. I thought they were professional and helpful. They help new shooters all the time.

If after all the paranoid BS is over on NES, (it really is a good site once you get some time in), and you feel you are getting benefits from it, then go green to help support the site. I feel it is well worth it.

For now, because of the timing of many things, your patience will pay off down the road. These shortages and other political BS will pass, just might take a bit.

Best of luck,

Jay

To the OP,
Why those guns? Serious question. I skipped to the bottom since this was getting off topic when I just jumped to the bottom of the page.

It's pretty much total garbage, 9, .40, .45 are dried up in a lot of places. 9 is the worst. You're going to have to do some driving to find some
ammo. Expect box limits and rationing when you do find it. Well, that, and not finding any centerfire anything for less than $20 a box.

DHS just went to 9mm for the most part. Probably 80k guns they have to feed, along with training 2-3k new agents every year. I'd say 40, with all it's detractors is probably going to be easier to get in the near term. Good thing is, 'most' 40's can be converted to 9mm pretty easy and still work fine.

edit: For the record, they aren't handing out ammo either. I was given 150 rounds of 9mm to 'git gud' with my new Glock. I have not seen another box yet.

Frank Kelly with glasses in metrowest of boston- Might be a good idea to omit the personal picture and full name on a gun ownership website in the peoples republic of massachusetts.

Back
Top Bottom