Soon-to-be new shooter - what's the Handgun / Ammo situation in MA?

Lots of good info here. My recommendation while you are waiting on the LTC is to contact GOAL in Northborough. Become a member, tell them your situation and ask if they are doing private lessons and can give you hands-on with a few different models. Also talk to Mass Firearms in Holliston about the same. Get some hands on experience even before you get your own firearm. It should help you make a better choice for when you purchase.

Last edited:
Edit- oddly enough, the last time I was in bAssPro in foxboro (clay pigeons) they had a decent selection of guns. Ammo? Not so much.
Their gun selection is not bad, but their prices are horrible. Every local gun store has better prices. Even the guy renting a 2x2 square with a desk and 3 guns in stock.

OP, two things you must never do:

1. Buy a gun at Bass Pro or Cabelas.
2. Own a .40. Unless you like guys, then it is OK.

Owning a .40 should be an automatic ban from NES. One day Admin will update the rules.

Frank your going to jumped hard here so if your legit just hang in there bud. Ammo sucks, find gun stores near you and google the shit out of places near you. Check the classifieds here for some possible deals. Good luck and another new shooter is awesome as long as your not a Liberal
There’s liberals here too. Deal with it.

Hi Everyone,

First post here from a soon-to-be new shooter and total newb to firearms - fingerprints taken mid-August so hoping to get LTC mid-October.
Anyway I've been seeing reports of handguns sold-out and ammunition too so I just wanted to see what the situation is out there in MA - say if I get my LTC mid-October
where do you recommend should I go to purchase (for example) an M&P 2.0 9mm or Sig P320 within a few days?

Thanks in advance

-Frank

Best bet is here

Welcome,

There's no common calibers of ammo available, and guns are limited. Ammo is especially bad. Right now, expect to pay 2-4x what we were paying at the start of the year, if you're lucky, or know the secret handshake. Think of the Arms shortage like the TP shortage, except Arms might save your ass, Not just clean it!
Were not as hard hit as other areas with more established gun cultures but its worse than its ever been. New shooters are compounding the situation. According to ammo/firearm manufacturers expect this to last well into next year. Easily 6-12 months.

They seem like decent choices but these are probably better.
Four guns every REAL MAN should own...

1.) 1911 .45 ACP, my own choice is a stainless custom II Kimber .45. The 1911 deserves it's own religion, case closed. The others are great, truthfully they are, even the Rock Islands, but people hate on Kimber because they didn't buy one. Bought my most recent Kimber, a stainless 2 for 655.00 at Rural King, and by God they deserve the hate for going so cheap. The best.

2.) Uberti 1858 Stainless .44/45 with 8" barrel. There simply is, NO MORE VERSATILE handgun. It should ultimately have 10 cylinders, 4 in black powder, 2 in .45 Colt, and 2 in .45 ACP. This gun gives you the ability to truly hunt. It's a magnum. You have the versatility of black powder, all it's substitutes, round bull, mini ball, full standard .45 Colt, cheaper .45 ACP, and shot shells. Also you can use it as a flare gun, shoot rocks out of it if you have to, and use capgun caps as a last resort for ignition. This is the survivalists gun who hasn't got the means to clean it often.

3. Winchester SXP Defender 12 ga with interchangeable chokes. You need that shorter barrel for handiness and ease of use in tight quarters. You need the chokes for hunting and giving competent patters at longer ranges on game. This is the slickest and strongest pump action on the market. It utilizes a rotary bolt, which is a type used for high powered rifles in both autoloading and slide action rifles. Mossbergs and Remingtons cannot compete for strength, and are mediocre in comparison when it comes to instant handling and follow up shots.

Ruger AR556 MPR.

This is hands down the very best AR15 rifle offered on the market today. Superior to anything the military has on an AR platform. A monkey who can see red, can be taught to pop soda cans at 200 yards in less than an hour.

All joking aside things are pretty bleak out there. No point in speculating they may come around in a month or so. You may have to pay a premium but you should be able to get whatever you want.
I see what you did there. 🤣

Their gun selection is not bad, but their prices are horrible. Every local gun store has better prices. Even the guy renting a 2x2 square with a desk and 3 guns in stock.

Owning a .40 should be an automatic ban from NES. One day Admin will update the rules.

What the hell am I supposed to hunt brown bear with?

Seriously though he catches a lot of hate and it's really not that bad. and a magazine restricted state like Massachusetts what would you rather have, 10 rounds of nine, 10 rounds of 40, or 7/8 rounds of 45?

Welcome! And don't pay any attention to Broc and his .40 comments. He's still upset that a .40 shooter at the range made fun of his Gucci man purse. He says it's a satchel and that Indiana Jones has one, but we all know it's a man purse.

There's ammo out there somewhere in MA, you just have to look a little harder.

ab823d24f620c5cec73a503ee0e4d794.jpg

Lol deli ticket emporium is likely to result in surly meat market experience. You're better off going to a smaller shop to start.

this. I'm also not a fan of 4S, strictly because of the 'take a ticket' to get served. You're much better off at a smaller shop, especially where you're new at the game.

Welcome! And don't pay any attention to Broc and his .40 comments. He's still upset that a .40 shooter at the range made fun of his Gucci man purse. He says it's a satchel and that Indiana Jones has one, but we all know it's a man purse.

There's ammo out there somewhere in MA, you just have to look a little harder.

ab823d24f620c5cec73a503ee0e4d794.jpg

That, and his noodle arms can't handle it.

this. I'm also not a fan of 4S, strictly because of the 'take a ticket' to get served. You're much better off at a smaller shop, especially where you're new at the game.

Last time I was at Four Seasons (pre Covid), the place was packed. I pick a ticket and wait for like half an hour just doing laps around the room. Finally get to the number before mine and I'm waiting any moment to be called, AND THEY SKIP MY NUMBER like they forgot how to count. I had to rather rudely step in front of the next person and try to explain how they messed it up. Not a fan of that arrangement, but I guess I get it because of how busy it was. I prefer a more relaxed experience though.

Welcome to the forum, congrats on your decision to be a responsible armed citizen!

There is a lot of shortages of ammunition at the moment due to the current state of peaceful protesting and pandemic. You should be able to buy a handgun, I would as others suggest that you look at the Sig 320 line of pistols in MA, they should be available. I would go to a gun range where you can rent a few different pistols you are interested in and shoot them, would be good to pay for some instruction there as you can try out the gun to see if it is a good fit, and get some good training. Many gun stores are keeping some ammo for handgun purchases, but it is hard to come by these days (ammo).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom