• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Soon-to-be new shooter - what's the Handgun / Ammo situation in MA?

They seem like decent choices but these are probably better.
Four guns every REAL MAN should own...

1.) 1911 .45 ACP, my own choice is a stainless custom II Kimber .45. The 1911 deserves it's own religion, case closed. The others are great, truthfully they are, even the Rock Islands, but people hate on Kimber because they didn't buy one. Bought my most recent Kimber, a stainless 2 for 655.00 at Rural King, and by God they deserve the hate for going so cheap. The best.

2.) Uberti 1858 Stainless .44/45 with 8" barrel. There simply is, NO MORE VERSATILE handgun. It should ultimately have 10 cylinders, 4 in black powder, 2 in .45 Colt, and 2 in .45 ACP. This gun gives you the ability to truly hunt. It's a magnum. You have the versatility of black powder, all it's substitutes, round bull, mini ball, full standard .45 Colt, cheaper .45 ACP, and shot shells. Also you can use it as a flare gun, shoot rocks out of it if you have to, and use capgun caps as a last resort for ignition. This is the survivalists gun who hasn't got the means to clean it often.

3. Winchester SXP Defender 12 ga with interchangeable chokes. You need that shorter barrel for handiness and ease of use in tight quarters. You need the chokes for hunting and giving competent patters at longer ranges on game. This is the slickest and strongest pump action on the market. It utilizes a rotary bolt, which is a type used for high powered rifles in both autoloading and slide action rifles. Mossbergs and Remingtons cannot compete for strength, and are mediocre in comparison when it comes to instant handling and follow up shots.

Ruger AR556 MPR.

This is hands down the very best AR15 rifle offered on the market today. Superior to anything the military has on an AR platform. A monkey who can see red, can be taught to pop soda cans at 200 yards in less than an hour.

All joking aside things are pretty bleak out there. No point in speculating things may come around in a month or so. You may have to pay a premium but you should be able to get whatever you want.
[banghead]
this thread gonna be a doozie

I would get on the email list for you local gun shops (LGS) so when they have stock or sale announcements you find out right away.

You will be able to order ammo online one you have your LTC in hand from a limited selection of vendors, but they are pretty low on stock right now.

The classifieds on here are going to be the best for some in stock guns at the rate stores are depleted.

I'd also recommend looking around for cleaning supplies (Otis-Tech are good kits), lead removal wipes for your hands (or D-Lead/Hygenall Soaps), hearing protection & eye protection, and a first aid kid (bleeder/blow-out bag -Recon Medical maybe) now before your license comes. All that stuff is getting to be in short supply.

Might want to look at locking cases and a safe too in the meantime.

P320/M17 (or whatever they call it) are a dime a dozen, it's the P365 non-SAS that is a pain in the ass to get because all the newbs want to buy them, etc. That said, I traded in my two P320s and I think the shop I traded them into sold them inside of 2-3 weeks.

Looking for the P320 M18 not quite so easy to find. Whats your thoughts on the FN 509 midsize as an alternative?

Hi Everyone,

First post here from a soon-to-be new shooter and total newb to firearms - fingerprints taken mid-August so hoping to get LTC mid-October.
Anyway I've been seeing reports of handguns sold-out and ammunition too so I just wanted to see what the situation is out there in MA - say if I get my LTC mid-October
where do you recommend should I go to purchase (for example) an M&P 2.0 9mm or Sig P320 within a few days?

Thanks in advance

-Frank
Welcome! There are hardly any guns and absolutely no ammo, right now. Welcome to Freedom please vote accordingly! 👍🏻🇺🇸

These guys missunderstood your question. Yes, an online vendor of a serialized item must ship to an FFL who will do your 4473/background check. A lot of vendors won’t ship to MA because we are a pollitically cucked group in this state and our AG is a rug munching tyrant.

Looking for the P320 M18 not quite so easy to find. Whats your thoughts on the FN 509 midsize as an alternative?

I've only messed with one 509, seemed to be very expensive for what it was, looked well made enough. Haven't actually fired one yet, though.

Dear lord, with the diatribe above again. Is the whole “4 guns BS” in 3, or 4 places now?

As for the OP, try MFS in Holliston but call beforehand. They have plenty of pistols to rent (try before you buy!), as far as ammo is concerned though, I’m not sure. I’ve purchased 3 guns through them. Knowledgeable staff, won’t look down on you as a newbie, and honest opinions.

Stick around, lurk and search threads for a while and hopefully all the BS will calm down eventually. You’re in for a heck of a baptism though, hold on tight!

metrowest covers a big area. youre the one asking for help... so a little more detail may help.

go to mass firearms in Holliston . They have rentals.

He also said he’d travel. So, from four seasons down to Gartman, B&K in Natick, GFA is in Natick as well. He’s got options.

Edit- oddly enough, the last time I was in bAssPro in foxboro (clay pigeons) they had a decent selection of guns. Ammo? Not so much.

I've only messed with one 509, seemed to be very expensive for what it was, looked well made enough. Haven't actually fired one yet, though.

I have been thinking the same on the price but in times of need or more like a want an extra 100 bucks isn't that bad right? Just saying want surpasses necessity sometimes..maybe?

He's got to hit Four Season's - it's a rite of passage.
He'll be able to hold a wide range of guns and Carl might even have some ammo put back for folks who buy a gun.

Then he can sit in front of the computer refreshing the Target Sports homepage until it shows his caliber, like the rest of us.

Last edited:
This thread has really delivered with all the gifs and advice.

Frank, welcome aboard but you're screwed. It is a real tough time to be a new shooter.

Welcome.

Ammo is rough but can obtained, however, you will likely pay "over the odds" and a good deal more than what it would have run you in January or so.

Having moved to NH a couple years ago, I'm not sure about the gun situation, but they are out there...

Welcome to the wackier side of the internet! As far as finding a first firearm, right now as it stands you better be prepared to be Johnny on the spot when you finally get your license and pin. If you see something, then don't wait. Inventory sells so fast now, the gun you see today will be gone by tomorrow. I picked up a revolver I wanted over the summer and the gun shop had 3 in stock. I told them on the phone, hold one I'll be right there I have cash. When I got there 15 minutes later I paid for my revolver and the other 2 were already sold and there were 3 people in the gun shop asking about "how do I get a license?" question. As far as ammo, if you find a pile in a shop then share with the rest of us ammo vultures out here.

One piece of advice I can think of: Don't wait until sometime in November to purchase a handgun/rifle/shotgun, etc. I think that with the election coming up, there may be an immediate aftermath, a cacophony of chaos so to speak. I'm worried that one group of people are going to try to cheat on a grand scale and it's going to create chaos.

Most important thing: Vote for politicians that support your right to self defense.

I have been thinking the same on the price but in times of need or more like a want an extra 100 bucks isn't that bad right? Just saying want surpasses necessity sometimes..maybe?

FWIW, I rented one a while back and hated everything about it. Only gun that’s ever got that reaction from me. Returned if after 2 mags. I’d rather have a cheap Ruger SR9 or SW9 or something over the FN509.

Welcome OP. Just so you know you're going to get hazed for a while. Go green and stick around. This site is a wealth of knowledge and there's a lot of really smart guys on here. That are willing to help you out once you've been around a while. I've learned quite a bit in my short time here.

Hey Frank! I recommend buying either a 22 LR handgun for easy training or something in 9mm. An HK VP9 if you can afford it on the higher entry end or a Beretta 92FS on the more reasonable side of things. For the 22 LR handgun, perhaps a Ruger SR22 for low budget and training friendly. The shield wouldn’t even be a half bad choice and neither would the Sig. You should go to a range and rent a few hand guns and try them out for yourself though! Decide what you like and what your needs are and buy after a few trips to the range trying a few different styles and manufacturers. Best of luck in your new hobby/lifestyle/past time!

-Moss

FWIW, I rented one a while back and hated everything about it. Only gun that’s ever got that reaction from me. Returned if after 2 mags. I’d rather have a cheap Ruger SR9 or SW9 or something over the FN509.

Hmmnnnn now I will have to think about it youve ruined my night 😉 :)

The only other thing I don't like about it, "facially", is getting mags for guns like that is often more of a pain in the ass (or expensive) vs a mainstream product like Glock, Sig, S&W, etc. I react poorly when I have a semiauto handgun hanging around and have anything less than 6 mags for it. [laugh] Ideally I like to have at least 8 to a dozen or more.

Utilitarian Pistols are gonna become very popular... and soon.

View attachment 388670

If I had to flint there is no way I would reduce myself to that trash.

Taurus G3 is probably the best skinflint pistol going right now that I would take a flying leap at, if I had to. When you pick it up you're like "Is this actually a Taurus product? how come its not all f***ed up?" [rofl]

You mentioned that you'd be willing to travel to NH.

Federal law says that you can purchase long arms in a state other than your residence so long as the long arm is legal for you to possess in your state of residence.
Federal law says that you may purchase handguns ONLY in your state of residence.

So, if you were to find a handgun in NH that you liked, you would pay the FFL for the handgun, then he would transfer it to an FFL in your state of residence (MA), from whom you would then actually take possession of it, (after paying a transfer fee and filling out a 4473 form).

The difficulty for MA residents is that there's a "list" of "approved" firearms that FFLs are "allowed" to sell you. So, if you were to find a handgun in NH for example, you'd need to have an FFL in MA who's willing to accept that firearm for you. I've heard everything from "the list is absolute" to "the list is absolute BS and ignored" from posters here who live in MA. I DO NOT LIVE IN MA and thus have no personal experience with this.

As for availability - guns, ammo and reloading components are in short supply right now nationwide. You're going to have to do some searching. If you haven't shot a handgun before, or recently, I'd really recommend going to a range where they'll let you use their handguns - and try out half a dozen or so until you find what you want. That is, unless you're certain about the models you mentioned in an earlier post. If you're certain that's what you want - then go find it.

Good luck - and welcome to the cuckoos's nest.

Frank, in all seriousness, LAST AUGUST would have been a better time to start in the shooting sports.
With 5 million new firearm owners, each buying a new gun and a couple of boxes of ammo, they've virtually depleted the stock

You're going to be paying more than you should for a handgun and 2 to 3 times as much as you should for ammo.
Good luck.

Just a thought...while your searching the web for stuff....maybe find out where the folks your going to be voting on stand on 2A, and just maybe let them know where you stand?....and maybe find an organization you can live with that fights for your 2A rights and ship 'em off a couple of the bucks you won't be spending on guns and ammo right away?

It's pretty much total garbage, 9, .40, .45 are dried up in a lot of places. 9 is the worst. You're going to have to do some driving to find some
ammo. Expect box limits and rationing when you do find it. Well, that, and not finding any centerfire anything for less than $20 a box.
Received 200 hundreds of 9mm today...
Poured it in my bathtub and pretended I was Scrooge McDuck

Back
Top Bottom