• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Soon-to-be new shooter - what's the Handgun / Ammo situation in MA?

Hi Everyone,

First post here from a soon-to-be new shooter and total newb to firearms - fingerprints taken mid-August so hoping to get LTC mid-October.
Anyway I've been seeing reports of handguns sold-out and ammunition too so I just wanted to see what the situation is out there in MA - say if I get my LTC mid-October
where do you recommend should I go to purchase (for example) an M&P 2.0 9mm or Sig P320 within a few days?

Thanks in advance

-Frank

Western, MA, Central, Metro Boston, North or South Shore?

Helps to know what shops you are close to.

I am curious as to your choices for handguns especially the P320 have you even got near one? I only ask because if you find one PM me it's like trying to find one of the lost treasures of the world. The wife has allowed me access to her vault of equity for such a find so now I don't know which is rarer the gun or the money.

Any suggestions on a reputable site (and my understanding is the shipping needs to be to an FFL(?) license holder within MA)?
1. We dont post sites except for Target Sport USA (has a thread). So don't ever post a place that ships ammo to MA.

2. No, all you need is a license and they can ship to your door.

3. Only p@ssies and morons don't ship to MA. It is not illegal to ship ammo to MA.

Black powder flintlocks are always available, you can make your bp if it runs out of stock. We never had shortage of flint and you can cast your own bullets.

You can check with Brian in Natick or Greg across the street.

It's pretty much total garbage, 9, .40, .45 are dried up in a lot of places. 9 is the worst. You're going to have to do some driving to find some
ammo. Expect box limits and rationing when you do find it. Well, that, and not finding any centerfire anything for less than $20 a box.

I am curious as to your choices for handguns especially the P320 have you even got near one? I only ask because if you find one PM me it's like trying to find one of the lost treasures of the world. The wife has allowed me access to her vault of equity for such a find so now I don't know which is rarer the gun or the money.

P320/M17 (or whatever they call it) are a dime a dozen, it's the P365 non-SAS that is a pain in the ass to get because all the newbs want to buy them, etc. That said, I traded in my two P320s and I think the shop I traded them into sold them inside of 2-3 weeks.

They seem like decent choices but these are probably better.
Four guns every REAL MAN should own...

1.) 1911 .45 ACP, my own choice is a stainless custom II Kimber .45. The 1911 deserves it's own religion, case closed. The others are great, truthfully they are, even the Rock Islands, but people hate on Kimber because they didn't buy one. Bought my most recent Kimber, a stainless 2 for 655.00 at Rural King, and by God they deserve the hate for going so cheap. The best.

2.) Uberti 1858 Stainless .44/45 with 8" barrel. There simply is, NO MORE VERSATILE handgun. It should ultimately have 10 cylinders, 4 in black powder, 2 in .45 Colt, and 2 in .45 ACP. This gun gives you the ability to truly hunt. It's a magnum. You have the versatility of black powder, all it's substitutes, round bull, mini ball, full standard .45 Colt, cheaper .45 ACP, and shot shells. Also you can use it as a flare gun, shoot rocks out of it if you have to, and use capgun caps as a last resort for ignition. This is the survivalists gun who hasn't got the means to clean it often.

3. Winchester SXP Defender 12 ga with interchangeable chokes. You need that shorter barrel for handiness and ease of use in tight quarters. You need the chokes for hunting and giving competent patters at longer ranges on game. This is the slickest and strongest pump action on the market. It utilizes a rotary bolt, which is a type used for high powered rifles in both autoloading and slide action rifles. Mossbergs and Remingtons cannot compete for strength, and are mediocre in comparison when it comes to instant handling and follow up shots.

Ruger AR556 MPR.

This is hands down the very best AR15 rifle offered on the market today. Superior to anything the military has on an AR platform. A monkey who can see red, can be taught to pop soda cans at 200 yards in less than an hour.

All joking aside things are pretty bleak out there. No point in speculating they may come around in a month or so. You may have to pay a premium but you should be able to get whatever you want.

First post here from a soon-to-be new shooter and total newb to firearms - fingerprints taken mid-August so hoping to get LTC mid-October.

Welcome.

Depending on when you get your LTC the ammo problem may well be worse, if possible. If it is after the election who knows?

Is the guess on mid-October based on any knowledge or just hoping? It may help for you to search your town on NES to see recent wait times and experiences.

Matt

OP at the gun store:
dBZQDzm.gif

Back
Top Bottom