• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sonic cleaner

So iv been usingy buddy's tumbler since I started realoding. Well he finally took it back and I need to clean my .50ae rounds. I was thinking about a sonic cleaner.
What is your experience with them? Any recommendations?

I bought a cheap one from harbor freight few years ago.it worked well.I,ended up using it to clean gun parts and items I found metal detecting. I left it on one night out side under the deck. It snowed and I came out to a burned out unit.

I think a small unit like mine would do for small batches....held about 100 45 cases. It was 22$ and cheap feeling but did work.

Last edited:
An ultrasonic cleaner seems overkill for brass. A vibratory tumbler, an $8 bag of reptile bedding (crushed walnut shells), some dryer sheets and NuFinish if you're feeling saucy and you're set for a couple hundred thousand rounds.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner I use for cleaning guns and gun parts. It works miracles but I never use it to clean brass.

Get yourself a vibratory tumbler and some corn cob media (or something similar). It's a time proven process with great results. And get yourself a timer gizmo so you can "set it and forget it". UniqueTek carries one:

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1263

ETA: Oooops out of stock...

I have an ultrasonic cleaner I use for cleaning guns and gun parts. It works miracles but I never use it to clean brass.

Get yourself a vibratory tumbler and some corn cob media (or something similar). It's a time proven process with great results. And get yourself a timer gizmo so you can "set it and forget it". UniqueTek carries one:

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1263

ETA: Oooops out of stock...

No way, go old school and remember to turn it off. You haven't seen clean brass until you've seen some that's been tumbled for 10+ hours.

Fluid cleaning is better for your health by far. Stopped using those lead dust makers years ago. Anyone who still suggests them should have their head examined.

Fluid cleaning is better for your health by far. Stopped using those lead dust makers years ago. Anyone who still suggests them should have their head examined.

As long as you don't use the tumbling media long enough for a dangerous concentration of lead to build up, you should be OK. I use cheap corn cob grit and dump it after 6 runs.

I have both . I tumble with corn and media polish 1 tsp added at times to boost. and wow brighter than new. and sonic parts with a little sonic bright and some lemmee shine . as far as lead dust how much are you getting with plated projectiles. you breath more crap in youre house air and outside than in the tumbler. or maybe I should get my head examined. get youre head examined thats a good one .

The lead styphnate left in a spent casing from the primer is minimal. compared to molten particles that is airborn and inhaled from the primer during shooting. or molten particles inhaled during the casting process or touching and handling of them. there is lead free ammo I think one is winclean and also lead free primers avail. pmc offers one available around here or not im not sure it uses a produt called [ddnp] commonly called dinol. comes down to what is good for you these days.

For you Ultrasonic guys, what fluid are you using?

I have seen everything from simple green to vinegar cocktails.

citric acid (LemiShine) and dawn

I just started using mine but will probably get a tumbler in the future; ultrasonic is very slow for brass but the cleaner is great for any parts not just gun parts.

I bought a Lyman not that long ago, more to try it and see if it lived up to it's claims.

I only use it for rifle cases now, with dirty pistol cases the solution doesn't last long before it gets murky and ineffective. I have also found that it is not consistent in cleaning the inside of the cases either, some come out spotless and some don't. This is my experience with the Lyman, maybe others are better. To me it's not the way to go for volume case processing.

I bought a Lyman not that long ago, more to try it and see if it lived up to it's claims.

I only use it for rifle cases now, with dirty pistol cases the solution doesn't last long before it gets murky and ineffective. I have also found that it is not consistent in cleaning the inside of the cases either, some come out spotless and some don't. This is my experience with the Lyman, maybe others are better. To me it's not the way to go for volume case processing.

Was the orientation of the cases the same? If they are all neck down, it does the best job in my experience.

It should, I made a rack for my .223 cases to support them neck down but for the life of me, can't find it. I wouldn't be surprised if I sat on it and threw it away.

I was using the ultrasonic for pistol parts until I was shown a fine pistol with the blueing badly damaged. I was sceptical it was ruining the blueing until my Smith said the same thing. Funny thing is that I just bought a new handgun and it's says no ultrasonic cleaners.
I've also tried cleaning brass with it. Not only doesn't it do the greatest job if leaves the brass wet. I know it'll dry but why even add water to the scenario.
As someone pointed out the cheap Frankford runs great using walnut hull. I've forgot to turn it off more than once and will tell 12 hours will clean your brass

I was using the ultrasonic for pistol parts until I was shown a fine pistol with the blueing badly damaged. I was sceptical it was ruining the blueing until my Smith said the same thing. Funny thing is that I just bought a new handgun and it's says no ultrasonic cleaners.
I've also tried cleaning brass with it. Not only doesn't it do the greatest job if leaves the brass wet. I know it'll dry but why even add water to the scenario.
As someone pointed out the cheap Frankford runs great using walnut hull. I've forgot to turn it off more than once and will tell 12 hours will clean your brass

What fluid were you using?

Back
Top Bottom