Something old, something new

Greg Derr

Gun Smith
Dealer
NES Member
While at Camp Perry in July the NRA had a small showing of some rare Colts. One was Colt #4 which was just outstanding. The thing that caught my
eye was the the small parts in nitre blue. The pins, the screws and the trigger were all iridescent blue. I've used nitre blue in the past for pins and screws. This project I was given some latitude by the client so I went with some old features and some new ones. The sights, an XS big dot up front and a 10-8 U notch in the rear for older eyes. I kept the Colt barrel which I welded up old school, the crown was recessed and fitted with an EGW bushing and large plug. The grip safety is a Caspian on top of a flat MSH. The slide stop was flushed and hole recessed. The front and rear were checkered at 20 lpi and high cut. On the rear I took influence from Ned Christiansen and flattened the rear of the slide to match the sight, then serrations were
added at 50 lpi. The hammer is also nitre blued and is Wilson. The grips are by Tony Cap and are ironwood. The trigger is steel and short with nitre bluing. Hope I didn't leave anything out. Sorry to see this one go.
Swanson2.jpg

Swanson1.jpg

Swanson4.jpg

Swanson3.jpg

Swanson5.jpg

That is some incredible work. Someday I'll be at that level, though I fear it will be far into my retirement.

Wow, that's very impressive. Something about the blued pins is just awesome; I think they look fantastic, and I've not seen another smith do that.

Back
Top Bottom