Something is... different.

After 10 years of dealing with the firearm bureaucracy in Massachusetts, I'm done with that. I now find myself living south of the Mason Dixon where it seems the second amendment gets a little more respect. This fall, I moved my family from Salem, MA to Virginia. What a difference. No lists of approved firearms, no permit needed to purchase guns or ammunition. I'd forgotten how it is to live somewhere that considers guns and ammunition another product, a commodity, not evil things just waiting to do something bad.

Lots of ranges, with monthly membership fees and no membership required to shoot (just pay and go). I don't have to join two other organizations to join another one for the privilege of enjoying shooting.

Something is... different.

I'll still visit this site, though. I won't click on so many of the gun law forum subjects, but I've found some of the most knowledgeable and interesting gun people here, with a real desire to help others learn and enjoy shooting, and through the maze of Massachusetts laws. I can't find that just anywhere. There's good people here, and that will keep me visiting.

But in the meantime: Goodbye, Massachusetts! Hello, more freedom!

95a0ee71.jpg

Nice, innit it ? [smile]

Thanks for the support and graphics. Ah, yes, freedom is nice, indeed. Oddly enough, though, it takes some getting used to. I still find myself wondering what permits I need for this and that.

When the last citizen leaves MA, please turn out the lights. The ones who'll be staying don't read and have little use for them.

It is a beautiful feeling isn't it?
I never even think about not carrying or worry about my "cover" being blown.

Of course the need to carry up here is almost non-existent here due to the almost non-existent crime rate, but I still
wouldn't give it up...

Good for you on gaining some freedom.

God I want to live in NH. I can work anywhere but the misses is rooted deeply in Wakefield. Anyone know of any amazing school systems in NH maybe I can entice her.

The peace and freedom I feel when I walk out onto my back porch in the high desert of West Texas, pick up my AR and empty a few mags shooting at the steel targets scattered about the property...... priceless.

Congratulations! Enjoy your freedom but remember to be always vigilant because there are those that don't want you to be free.

God I want to live in NH. I can work anywhere but the misses is rooted deeply in Wakefield. Anyone know of any amazing school systems in NH maybe I can entice her.

Last I checked, kids from NH do alright getting into colleges around the country. NH schools don't waste a lot of time with political indocrinations. They do pretty well handling special needs. All in all, I'd rate NH schools equal or better than MA schools. My GF of the last 10 years lives in Laconia, NH and her kids received very good educations with a lot less BS than Massachusetts schools gave my 3 kids. Her youngest has an ed plan and the school system doesn't just pay lip service to this like Massachusetts did with a foster kid that used to live with me. She has as much extra help available to her as she needs. They just finished building a new middle school and are searching for a site for a new high school. The stories of NH schools being substandard is BS! The HS has an option for learning trades (not a separate school like in MA) for kids that aren't on a college track.

To the op Congrats!

The only VA negative, and its a big one if you ask me, is the stupid one gun a month. Hopefully you guys can work to get that one repealed.

Thanks!

True, that is a silly rule, though it doesn't affect me that much: I can't afford more than one gun a month. :) And though this is a shall-issue state, in my county they will take every day of the statutory 45 day limit to get a permit to me. Still, after living in Massachusetts for so long, I feel like I escaped a Soviet work-camp.

Virginia is in an odd position. We sit between the generally pro-2nd amendment south, and gun paranoid Maryland and DC. Fortunately, the southern states hold more sway here than the more northern states. Handgun Control, Inc. will never have the sway here that they do in MA. Good riddance!

There is life outside of Wakefield, trust me.

Get out while you can, you will not regret it.

NH is very nice, very very nice.

Back
Top Bottom