Something BIG is happening in Mass

Shhh. I liked it better when it was some covert Biden scheme to bring those crazy nazi-dressed guys from David's dreams in American Werewolf in London.

Yeah. I saw a YT ad yesterday that said that as a self-employed individual, I could get a PPP loan for myself. ????? Ummmm, we may have over PPPlyaed the PPP loans if anyone and everyone is getting in on it. It was designed to keep paying people who were laid off, not provide some extra income on Uncle's (my) dime.

While I took a minor hit in April and June, I "survived" 2020 and 2021 should be my best year in business ever. Pretty sure I don't need any PPP.

I watched some news report about a coffee shop outside of Boston and how they suffered and had to shut down a long time ago due to covid. The owners were praising the PPP and how now they have the cash to open another store lo. Is that what the PPP was for, to expand your business even though the original is barely open and didn't make a profit in the past 13 months ?

Don't know why your getting all the hate.
If people don't like the contract you got, they should be pissed at the politicians that agree to them.
You have it in there two raises, you should get them.
People get all pissed at cops, firefighters, and teachers for their contracts... they have union reps and lawyers write up the contract with all kinds of crap in them. It's the towns/cities that agree to them. Don't like it, run for office and vote them down when they come up for renewal.
What I don't agree with is when cops/firefighters/teachers try to hold towns hostage by work stoppage/strike.
I wish I got guaranteed raises in the private sector. Only time I get mad is when a lazy ass kisser gets a raise or promotion... not just over me, but over other people that would deserve it and probably do a better job.
These guys have no idea what I even do , and the union that I am in is a.NO STRIKE union , there is no holding out if we don't like the deal we're in.

Our Federal Tax money which will be money laundered to buy votes in this manner:

Hire useless unneeded political hacks at do norhing jobs who then in turn donate a good part of their salary to local dem a**h***s as part of the acceptance of the “job”.

These guys have no idea what I even do , and the union that I am in is a.NO STRIKE union , there is no holding out if we don't like the deal we're in.
I have no hate for the unions. IMO the haters are just jealous 95% of the time. I know they protect the nitwits but I can tell you this. One of my closest friends owns a union shop and if you are on his job you will produce quality work or you will be sent back to the hall. He busts his ass everyday to maintain the quality they are known for and yet remain competitive. His son could have been next in line to own it but he declined and is now a top wanted operator.
Teachers unions are a scam and I get that but a lot of these trade guys don’t let slackers stay for long that I’m aware of.
My former boss (passed) did a big visibility job along side the Pike and for him to say they did a good job was an endorsement in my book. He was not a push over or easy to please.
Now some of these state workers.... they rush to do nothing.

heres some intelligle info on the OP's drift. I, too, am involved in local gubmint. The latest Covid relief bill has epic amounts of fed $$$ inbound. First clickable link is the town-by-town breakdown of where its all being allocated. If you've been staring at a pothole or leaking water main, now's the time to bitch about it.

Steven, eliminate the mystery about what you do and where you do it by telling us.

For example; I am an xray tech in a busy, non-unionized, hospital outside of Boston.

I am generally pro-union. I was a teamster for a bit in a private sector company, now defunct. Public sector unions, however I feel, give unions a bad name. The entire benefits package and salary is paid for by the taxpayer. In the private sector, if the union gets too greedy the company goes under. In the public sector, the government just reaches deeper into the taxpayers pocket without any fear of going out of business. Let's not talk about the job security public sector unions give workers. Embezzle - paid leave. Sell drugs, no problem. Rape a young boy in the parking lot of a state agency, whatever.

Lets face the ultimate question as well. How many of these well paid, nicely benefitted, very secure state workers are really necessary to anything?

I gave it a quick read.
So they drove long standing and even new up and coming business to the brink or out of business altogther.
Now they will use fed funds to inject into areas they destroyed, but not to fix and make whole what they destroyed, but instead to filter out to their preferred recipients and political allies.

How do I get a chunk of it.
You a Trans lesbian interested in race and or gender studies?

What are you talking about? Inflation is 1.4%. The government predicts it might go to 2% but that’ll be temporary.

Which is fortunate. Imagine if the government had to pay 5% on its debt? Or raise SS payments 5% a year! Dodged a bullet there!
[laugh]

Steven, eliminate the mystery about what you do and where you do it by telling us.

For example; I am an xray tech in a busy, non-unionized, hospital outside of Boston.

I am generally pro-union. I was a teamster for a bit in a private sector company, now defunct. Public sector unions, however I feel, give unions a bad name.
No, ALL unions give unions a bad name. Don‘t try to excuse your private sector unions and blame the private ones. You all suck.

Thanks.

No, ALL unions give unions a bad name. Don‘t try to excuse your private sector unions and blame the private ones. You all suck.

Thanks.

au contraire! Unions protect may worthless loads. However, sometimes they are the only remedy for greedy, incompetent management. Sometimes you cannot rely on the good graces of a company owner or management team to tell you what you are worth.

Just look at all the cheap crap landscapers who hire illegal scum because "Americans won't work". It's really because the cheap crap landscaper want's to drive around in a shiny new pick up truck while the non unionized, illegal workforce has their meager income subsidized by mass health and a housing subsidy. Maybe having a lawn cut should cost $250 a shot. Let the lazy American pay for it or mow their own darn lawn.

Is a factory owner really going to pay an American worker a living wage when they can move their factory to mexico or china? Sometimes it takes a union to make that owner realize that he can pay a living wage and still put some good money in his pocket.

Even Henry Ford, one of the magnates of the gilded age recognized that paying living wage would let his workers buy his products.

Why do you think every death in mass since covid started is a covid-19 related death. The more covid deaths then the more money the state gets from the feds.

I’ve been a union carpenter my whole career. 3 more years to go and I can retire. It’s put over 500,000 in my retirement so that dosnt suck mr montes ! Watch out for the gun toting woodpeckers !!

au contraire! Unions protect may worthless loads. However, sometimes they are the only remedy for greedy, incompetent management. Sometimes you cannot rely on the good graces of a company owner or management team to tell you what you are worth.

Just look at all the cheap crap landscapers who hire illegal scum because "Americans won't work". It's really because the cheap crap landscaper want's to drive around in a shiny new pick up truck while the non unionized, illegal workforce has their meager income subsidized by mass health and a housing subsidy. Maybe having a lawn cut should cost $250 a shot. Let the lazy American pay for it or mow their own darn lawn.

Is a factory owner really going to pay an American worker a living wage when they can move their factory to mexico or china? Sometimes it takes a union to make that owner realize that he can pay a living wage and still put some good money in his pocket.

Even Henry Ford, one of the magnates of the gilded age recognized that paying living wage would let his workers buy his products.
How many factories have moved overseas due to a union as opposed to how many have stayed because of a union?

How many factories have moved overseas due to a union as opposed to how many have stayed because of a union?
Unions are like politicians.... they're all evil and they all suck but without them there would be some other system in place that would suck more probably

You are obviously too thick headed to comprehend the post...... Our contract stipulates when and how much our raises are for the year , and WE HAVEN'T GOTTEN THEM. We are most certainly entitled to getting our f#&king raises.

If this is true, then your eboard needs to grab their balls and fix it. Did the contract specify dates? If so, and your employer isn't meeting them, then they're in breach. Simple.

Gimme gimme gimme. Public union Pigs are the best. You realize that the people who pay for you haven't seen raises in forever, and are just lucky if they still have a job. You want more money? Go provide a valuable service or a skilled trade.

Maybe your raise should be based on merit and not schedule.

You're not wrong, but neither is he. It takes two to tango, and his employer signed the contract too. If the employer accepts the contract and then reneges, that's crap.

Thanks.
You are full of shit. I worked Union for 22 years, busted my ass. Show up unqualified on a job...get sent back to the hall. Happens more than twice...MANDATORY retraining or GTFO. Get a "statue report"...... called back to the hall. A LOT of the bids my company won...were against NON UNION companies! The non union companies were paying their monkeys peanuts, but bidding higher than the Union contractors. Bet you have no problem giving head to the boss to keep your job?

Gimme gimme gimme. Public union Pigs are the best. You realize that the people who pay for you haven't seen raises in forever, and are just lucky if they still have a job. You want more money? Go provide a valuable service or a skilled trade.

Maybe your raise should be based on merit and not schedule.
No offense man but if you haven't gotten a raise in forever you must be really shitty at your job and not work very hard. Your employer does not value you. And you settle for very little in life. What others have upsets you because you are afraid of confrontation and rejection.

No offense man but if you haven't gotten a raise in forever you must be really shitty at your job and not work very hard. Your employer does not value you. And you settle for very little in life. What others have upsets you because you are afraid of confrontation and rejection.

Thanks for the concern but it's not needed. Being in sales I can control my income. But there are a vast number of people who didn't get a raise this year, and are lucky to still have a job. And it's a bit tone deaf for public employees to be agitating for their raises when they have suffered no job loss, furlough or loss of income. I'm sure they are home with their stimulus check too.

Nice addition of the armchair psychology, though. I will let my employer know he doesn't value me. I'm sure they'd love to get rid of their top manager, but while I'm delivering him $15m a year in POs I'm all set. If that dries up, THEN I will start sucking at my job and get into one of them public union rackets.

Last edited:
Thanks for the concern but it's not needed. Being in sales I can control my income. But there are a vast number of people who didn't get a raise this year, and are lucky to still have a job. And it's a bit tone deaf for public employees to be agitating for their raises when they have suffered no job loss, furlough or loss of income. I'm sure they are home with their stimulus check too.

Nice addition of the armchair psychology, though. I will let my employer know he doesn't value me. I'm sure they'd love to get rid of their top manager, but while I'm delivering him $15m a year in POs I'm all set. If that dries up, THEN I will start sucking at my job and get into one of them public union rackets.

Is it okay for an employer to breach a contract?

If the unions are being dicks in the present (and many of them are), that'll be reflected in the next contract. That's another day. In the present? BOTH sides need to honor the existing contract.

Is it okay for an employer to breach a contract?

Nah, youre right, a bad contract is still a contract. I just object to the tone deaf nature of his whining.

If you're in union you still have a choice. My choice would not be this bad of timing. ESPECIALLY when he know he'll get arrears paid for crissake.

To paraphrase Rick Blaine: I don't object to a parasite. I object to a cut rate one.

I gave it a quick read.
So they drove long standing and even new up and coming business to the brink or out of business altogther.
Now they will use fed funds to inject into areas they destroyed, but not to fix and make whole what they destroyed, but instead to filter out to their preferred recipients and political allies.

How do I get a chunk of it.
Sign off NES, for a start? [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom