Somerville votes to lower voting age to 16

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
City Council Approves Lowering Voting Age In Somerville Elections

SOMERVILLE, MA — Somerville is poised to become the first community in Massachusetts to have a voting age of 16. The city council unanimously voted Thursday night to extend voting rights in local elections to 16- and 17-year-olds, according to Mayor Joseph Curtatone.

"It's a recognition these students are engaged & active citizens, with the biggest possible stake in our collective future," Curtatone tweeted Friday.

He added, "Extra thought: We want to make local engagement and democratic participation lifelong habits for our student population."

The lowered voting age would only apply to local elections and not state or federal races.

I believe that if you are old enough to vote you should have full responsibility of being an adult. That includes being sued, buying a firearm, alcohol, and everything else. If you are responsible enough to vote you should be responsible enough to drink, buy a gun etc. If you are not then you should not be able to vote.

City Council Approves Lowering Voting Age In Somerville Elections

SOMERVILLE, MA — Somerville is poised to become the first community in Massachusetts to have a voting age of 16. The city council unanimously voted Thursday night to extend voting rights in local elections to 16- and 17-year-olds, according to Mayor Joseph Curtatone.

"It's a recognition these students are engaged & active citizens, with the biggest possible stake in our collective future," Curtatone tweeted Friday.

He added, "Extra thought: We want to make local engagement and democratic participation lifelong habits for our student population."

The lowered voting age would only apply to local elections and not state or federal races.
How does this evade the Minor Law?

Voting is not the only thing being done too young in Somerville...

649-01556937em-young-girl-57-pushing-buggy-on-pavement-while-mother-talks-on-mobile.jpg

Meh.

Each "locality" has its own definition of adulthood. Our current one is more FUBAR than most, but this is the downside of democracy.

I think that the Jews did it best - you stood up in front of the community, and read from the Torah. Now, you've just proved that you have no excuse for breaking the law. Done.

Used to be that you had to own a certain amount of property to vote. Or pay a tax.

Is this a good move for Slummerville? We'll find out.

I will say that at 16, both of my kids were more likely to make good choices (but not always, they were kids!) than a lot of persons >18.

Oh this should be interesting. Wonder what happens when this backfires on the dumb ass politicians. So why are not all the 18 or 21 restriction not rolled back to 16. Oh ya the politicians are just pandering for the Vote.

this. tell the state you want to lower the drinking age to 16, you'll hear the word 'irresponsible' over and over

Just like the incarcerated, this is only happening because the schools are pumping out indoctrinated voters.

i'd like to see a tv station wander the somerville high school halls and ask the students...do they know the name of the current mayor. that will tell them how politically engaged they are.

i'd like to see a tv station wander the somerville high school halls and ask the students...do they know the name of the current mayor. that will tell them how politically engaged they are.

Lol. Somerville Pols are going to look like they are running for Class President... using home-made signage.
A7teg9fCAAIegl0.jpg
31458928126a2717d33e94d11ddd3440--student-council-slogans-elementary-student-council-posters.jpg

zoom-1-Vote_Julia.jpg

a9d3165fd9f67ba816b0c151a3a1e9b3.jpg

class-president-campaign-ideas.gif
news-the-equestrian-asb-campaign-posters-design-guide-asb-campaign-posters.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! The school day will start at 10:30... homework will be non existent. The school cafeteria's will all get taco bars and the curriculum will soon include courses on hot wiring cars, and identity theft

If I were an adult living in Somerville, I'd be fuming that my vote could and likely would be cancelled out by some air headed high school child that is barely old enough to legally drive, cannot buy tobacco products, alcohol or guns or even sign a legal contract to buy a car or get a loan or rent an apartment.

Back
Top Bottom