Somerville under new state of emergancy!! - Racism

I can see every Somerville cop applying for a lateral transfer to any other civil service department that will take them.

Why would you want to work in that environment?

Anyone want to guess the number of disability pensions that get applied for in the next 36 months?

If surrounding towns figure out who the good candidates are and take them, they save the training costs, which are substantial.

somerville has been referred to as another cambridge for many years now. as the old timers die off or retire out, the bodies are replaced with current liberal harvard students or grads that want to stay close. 25 years ago you could see the tide change just by watching the many local bar rooms turn over to cutesy brew pubs with 75 different kinds of hamburgers and designer beer or ethnic restaurants other than italian. it's lost for good.

I grew up in rural CT. There we had resident state troopers. The First selectman was the chief law enforcement officer in the town. The resident trooper reported to him.

So we had a civilian in charge of the police.

I have no problem conceptually with civilian police commissions overseeing a PD. The problem comes when the populace is so overwhelmingly anti-cop that its impossible to get a reasonable group of people.

I've been called anti-cop by some people. I've been called a boot licker by others. I guess I'm very pro-good policing. And anti bad policing. Cops work for us. The moment they present more of a threat to a community than the people they are supposed to be working against theere is no mor good use for them.

I'm 100% behind
1) disbanding most swat teams.
2) banning no-knock warrants or "dynamic entry" other than in real situations that require it. Like hostage situations.
3) no flash bangs
4) no Bearcats
5) No military uniforms that encourage the cops towant to go play dress up.
6) no ballistic helmets
7) no "ski masks".

PROTECT AND SERVE. - do that and everything will be fine.

somerville has been referred to as another cambridge for many years now. as the old timers die off or retire out, the bodies are replaced with current liberal harvard students or grads that want to stay close. 25 years ago you could see the tide change just by watching the many local bar rooms turn over to cutesy brew pubs with 75 different kinds of hamburgers and designer beer or ethnic restaurants other than italian. it's lost for good.

Disagree. Somerville's got a million problems, but the food ain't one. I've never had a bad meal there, of any type.

Of course, if you think all "ethnic restaurants" other than Italian makes a city "lost for good," then you and I aren't in the same food demographic to begin with.

Last edited:
Disagree. Somerville's got a million problems, but the food ain't one. I've never had a bad meal there, of any type.

Of course, if you think all "ethnic food" other than Italian makes a city "lost for good," then you and I aren't in the same food demographic to begin with.
think you mis-read there mr. picton. i said when you saw the demographic changing it was the beginning of the end as we knew it. i wish i finished college so i could articulate my thoughts better for you guys.

To be fair, when I lived there. . . 26 years ago, it was the restaurant capital of the free world. More restaurants per capita than just about anywhere.

I loved that. Because I loved to eat out back then.

Hell, you could get pizza at 10pm on a Tuesday delivered for $6. A large cheese for $6. I kept the late shift employed at Mama Lisa's one whole year. They shed a tear when I moved.

My kids are just in awe of that. THey've never lived anywhere but the sticks. So to be sitting on teh couch at 10pm on a Tuesday, get hungry, dial and 10 min later a large cheese pizza is delivered is just foreign to them.

Sure there is delivery. And it takes 30-45 min depending on the place. And pizza is mostly awful chain stuff or bad local stuff.

Somerville was really nice back then. It was still old-school. End of my block was the local Italian market. Gosh that was wonderful. Old first-gen immigrant ran the place. He sorta adopted me. I learned a ton of Italian cuisine through the man.

It's a 7/11 or something now in a very busy crazy neighborhood. Too bad. :(

CBS News 4 June 1, 2021: Somerville Police Chief reports unable to hire replacement police officers for department since city left civil service and those officers left are disappointed with the air soft Sig P320 weapons they are issued. Current staffing of Somerville police as of June 1 2021... One chief, one LT and 4 police officers 3 of which retire July 1st.

Well...three cops as of July 1st. Carrying airsoft guns.

Quite scary. Maybe the neighbohood kids can get together and play airsoft cops and robbers with them.

Meanwhile Rapers, Robbers and Criminals no worries.....

Just in: Nerf Guns wins Sommerville PD contract to supply police force with latest weapon tech designed to appease SJW's everywhere.

Attachments

• 16769457_web1_190509-NDR-M-Delta-Police-40-mm-foam-launcher-EDIT.jpg
    16769457_web1_190509-NDR-M-Delta-Police-40-mm-foam-launcher-EDIT.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 7
I grew up in rural CT. There we had resident state troopers. The First selectman was the chief law enforcement officer in the town. The resident trooper reported to him.

So we had a civilian in charge of the police.

I have no problem conceptually with civilian police commissions overseeing a PD. The problem comes when the populace is so overwhelmingly anti-cop that its impossible to get a reasonable group of people.

I've been called anti-cop by some people. I've been called a boot licker by others. I guess I'm very pro-good policing. And anti bad policing. Cops work for us. The moment they present more of a threat to a community than the people they are supposed to be working against theere is no mor good use for them.

I'm 100% behind
1) disbanding most swat teams.
2) banning no-knock warrants or "dynamic entry" other than in real situations that require it. Like hostage situations.
3) no flash bangs
4) no Bearcats
5) No military uniforms that encourage the cops towant to go play dress up.
6) no ballistic helmets
7) no "ski masks".

PROTECT AND SERVE. - do that and everything will be fine.

I feel like telling police what they need and don't is like the non gun owners telling us the same..

100% agree on Gestapo tactics - no reason to jump a household because someone skipped their DUI court date..

But without the right training, swat teams, and the right gear it could make their job more dangerous, which can be a risky and thankless job as is...

If I want to own a helmet I can - prohibiting the police from the same when they are apprehending dangerous people would be really unfair for instance.

I was on my way to a meeting in Boston from my home in CT. I came upon an older woman on 395 north. She had a flat tire.

I pulled up behind her, set my car up to block for me 200 ft behind me. and started to change her tire.

5 minutes later a CT trooper pulled up. i thanked him for arriving and asked if he could finish changing the tire. I was now running lte for a meeting.

He told me he isn't allowed to change a tire for someone, but that he'd happily call a tow truck.

I finished changing the tire for the lady and all 3 of us were on our way.

PROTECT AND SERVE. - The guy should have changed the tire. If there is a standing order in place prohibiting him from doing so, then why??

One of the reasons I support the PD in Arlington is that they GET IT. They understand they need to walk a fine line. They do a lot of stuff that cops wouldn't normally do. Including acting as effetively social workers with troubled youth.

Oh. And they are allowed to change tires for people. This is a good cop. Who GETS IT. IMG_0784.JPG

I was on my way to a meeting in Boston from my home in CT. I came upon an older woman on 395 north. She had a flat tire.

I pulled up behind her, set my car up to block for me 200 ft behind me. and started to change her tire.

5 minutes later a CT trooper pulled up. i thanked him for arriving and asked if he could finish changing the tire. I was now running lte for a meeting.

He told me he isn't allowed to change a tire for someone, but that he'd happily call a tow truck.

PROTECT AND SERVE. - The guy should have changed the tire. If there is a standing order in place prohibiting him from doing so, then why??

One of the reasons I support the PD in Arlington is that they GET IT. They understand they need to walk a fine line. They do a lot of stuff that cops wouldn't normally do. Including acting as effetively social workers with troubled youth.

Oh. And they are allowed to change tires for people. This is a good cop. Who GETS IT. View attachment 362345
The excuse I've been told is that departments don't have liability protection for incorrectly re-mounting the wheel. Apparently, there are limits to QI...

I feel like telling police what they need and don't is like the non gun owners telling us the same..

100% agree on Gestapo tactics - no reason to jump a household because someone skipped their DUI court date..

But without the right training, swat teams, and the right gear it could make their job more dangerous, which can be a risky and thankless job as is...

If I want to own a helmet I can - prohibiting the police from the same when they are apprehending dangerous people would be really unfair for instance.

I'm fine with it. All the things I listed above are things that increase the risk to the citizenry while making things safer for cops. Sorry guys. You signed on for the job. You accept the risk. If you don't like it, then go somewhere else.

Look at these pictures. Ridiculous. BostonWrong07.jpg

The excuse I've been told is that departments don't have liability protection for incorrectly re-mounting the wheel. Apparently, there are limits to QI...
Then spend the extra $200/yr to get it.

If a dept can get insurance to use flashbangs and M4s they can't get insurance tochange a tire. Misdirection and obfuscation my friend.

Oh. And they are allowed to change tires for people. This is a good cop. Who GETS IT.

I'm not surprised.

A police department isn't a car-repair place. We live in an age where a chief has to worry about getting sued when one of his officers changes a tire and the dipshit motorist (who couldn't even change his/her own tire, remember) gets into an accident on the way to the Goodyear store.

Nope. I don't blame the chief. This isn't Mayberry anymore; liability is a thing, unfortunately.

Well, then they should be a tire changer. Much more than they should be throwing flashbangs into rooms when they don't know who is in the room.

Its not about repairing the car. Its about getting the citizen who pays his salary and whose safety is the officers sole reason for existence, on his way, and ifon the side of the highway out of danger.

Well, then they should be a tire changer. Much more than they should be throwing flashbangs into rooms when they don't know who is in the room.

Its not about repairing the car. Its about getting the citizen who pays his salary and whose safety is the officers sole reason for existence, on his way, and ifon the side of the highway out of danger.

I'd argue they're doing just that by offering to call a tow, then blocking traffic until the tow arrives.

But then, my expectations for modern policing are very low. YMMV.

ETA: I'd also argue it's the citizen's responsibility to either know how to change a tire or pay for AAA to come do it instead, and not expect the 'gov to do it for them. But again, YMMV.

One option costs the motorist nothing. The other costs the motorist $150.
Cops need to be less concerned with all the cool fun tactical stuff and more concerned with the mundane day to day assistance of the people they have sworn to protect and serve.

One option costs the motorist nothing. The other costs the motorist $150.
Cops need to be less concerned with all the cool fun tactical stuff and more concerned with the mundane day to day assistance of the people they have sworn to protect and serve.

The motorist SHOULD be paying, in money or time or both. He's the idiot who popped the tire!

Every other taxpayer is paying the cop's salary. Why should they incur the cost of an irresponsible driver's mistake? Especially if there's a lawsuit down the line...

Look, if you were an officer would you want to be the poor man's AAA service?
I for one would not be happy changing other peoples tires if I was an officer.
Do you know all the car jack locations for changing tires for all the vehicles out there nowadays?
Never mind in what weather conditions and what it would do to his uniform or himself.

Motorist pull over in all kinds of places that are unsafe to support a jack, never mind the traffic hazards in doing so.

You think a police department wants to get sued or risk an injured officer due to an accident while changing a civilian's tire?

Sorry, but calling for assistance and seeing that the civilian in safe during the whole ordeal is where we are today.
He could drive her home or to the repair shop and that would be all I might expect of an officer.
If those were in his town as well.

Cars now are $20,000 or more. Don't be cheap and get AAA!

He's a moron who loves getting his name in the papers. BUT! Silver lining:

Curtatone said Somerville will withdraw from a Department of Defense program that provides military weapons to police departments.

“Our officers are not soldiers on a battlefield, and they should not be equipped with military-grade gear and weapons. Militarizing the police makes it difficult for residents to feel safe approaching and interacting with officers, increases risk, and sets an overall hostile, confrontational tone,” said Curtatone

Police demilitarization is good, regardless of why it's being done.
Common sense. Some wannabe Navy SEAL police chiefs believe that MK19 40mm grenade launchers should be standard issue. Sorry...NO! They are peace officers, not special forces commandos.

Common sense. Some wannabe Navy SEAL police chiefs believe that MK19 40mm grenade launchers should be standard issue. Sorry...NO! They are peace officers, not special forces commandos.
this may not be a popular opinion on here but since the Vietnam era vets got on departments in the early seventies there has been an increasing militarization of police department's SWAT teams were basically former army or other service guys that adapted there military experience into civilian law enforcement. unfortunately some of those officers weren't able to differentiate between citizens and enemies. I know the world has changed in the last 50 years but who needs to worry about suspending posse comitatus when we have civilian police departments that are basically equipped as and acting as military units

Back
Top Bottom