Somerville police officer sues Sig Sauer, says weapon fired on its own

Somerville police officer sues New Hampshire gunmaker Sig Sauer, says weapon fired on its own​

SOMERVILLE, Mass. —
A second Boston area police officer is suing gun manufacturer New Hampshire Sig Sauer, claiming his department-issued gun fired on its own, without a trigger pull, and the bullet struck him in his lower leg causing serious injury.

Somerville police Officer Walter Collette is a 20-year veteran of the department who says he was injured by the firearm in July 2019.

The federal lawsuit alleges that the Sig Sauer P320 semi-automatic handgun the officer carried at work is a dangerous weapon and the company that makes it has known it for years.

According to his lawsuit, Collette removed his gun belt and secured his P320 in a smaller compartment in his gym bag, wrapped with a cloth. As Collette walked with his bag over his right shoulder, the gun allegedly fired without the trigger being pulled, and the bullet went through his leg.

Collette’s attorney, Stephen Semenza, said the bullet traveled through Collette’s left calf and caused “very serious” injuries. He said his client was “rushed to the emergency room” and that he suffered “a huge amount of blood loss.”

Why did that gun go off? Simple. This P320 make and model made by Sig Sauer is defective," said Semenza. "This is not a one-time occurrence."

5 Investigates has found dozens of reports of Sig Sauer P320 handguns firing on their own since 2016. That includes a police officer in Texas and a special forces soldier in Canada.

Collette's suit comes two months after a Cambridge police officer sued the gun maker after a similar incident in that city.

"What happened to Walter's (P320) happened to countless folks across the country," Semenza said. “Unfortunately, these occurrences are going to continue. People are going to get severely hurt or potentially killed. And it could be law enforcement, it could be military or it could be everyday civilians like you and I."

Semenza said he believes Sig Sauer is deceiving police and the public about the safety of the P320 and that he plans to hold the company responsible.

"The marketing is misleading," the lawyer said. "It reads that it doesn't fire without a trigger pull. That's simply untrue. Sig Sauer has opted to frankly protect their bottom line rather than worrying about the law enforcement, military personnel and civilians who were issued this firearm."

Sig Sauer has not responded to our request for a comment about this latest lawsuit.

Collette remains on the Somerville police force and still carries a Sig Sauer P320

... weapon fired on its own
Eh_zHYSXgAAx6B-.png

I love how they mentioned it was wrapped in a cloth, as if that secures the trigger. lol
Pulls the trigger; that I can believe.

The random cloth he wrapped around the gun probably bunched up and was what actuated the trigger. Dummy would have been better off just putting the gun by itself in the "smaller compartment in his gym bag".

That's going to be funny in court when the jury finds out that the guy still carries a P320 on duty and somehow or another isn't wigged out by doing that. Like let's be honest here if any of us thought it was the gun that was actually at fault would you actually carry it after that? F*** know you would want to be nowhere near one of those things. It's pretty obvious that he doesn't believe in the pistol being defective that strongly.... [rofl]

What a f***in RETARD. Really? Sig Sauer? The gun went off on its own? Gun being tossed around in a gym bag? STILL carries the same gun for work?? This is how f***ing DUMB these Boston area cops are. JFC I just lost brain cells reading this.

I’ve thrown loaded glocks, berettas, and S&w striker and hammer fired (well obviously not glock hammer fired) off of my back deck, multiple times, to prove points. (They don’t go bang) I’ve been in a POS that got blown up with many chambered firearms, none of which discharged (until triggers were pulled). I’ve been carrying a chambered firearm for years, not sure how many....I’ve done all sorts of stupid shit, fallen off ladders, you name it!! Never had a gun go bang unless I pulled the trigger.....
Also never owned or carried a 320....!!! Hahaha!!!
Now that .mil has changed from m9 to 320/m17, how many NDs have we had in .mil??? I would assume that .mil is fondling pistols (not necessarily discharging them) more often than some cop in a liberal yet low crime area?

I see a lot of this in the news right now.
For a short while I’m prepared to come and collect your unsafe p320 free of charge.

I normally charge for safety services but as these are clearly a danger to their owners I willing to do this as a community service.

Don’t be a victim, before you shoot yourself in the leg, p.m. me and I will safely remove your p320.

you're welcome
Harry

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, doesn't the P365 use the same design trigger module, just more compact? if so why are we not hearing of NDs on the 365?

Can we confirm that the "cloth" that was used was actually his dirty underwear...cuz that would just make this story even funnier 🤣

"Dumb ass cop shot at gym....shit stained fruit of the looms the primary suspect....film at 11"

Nothing is impossible , but in every case I've seen on this there is human interaction and some downright stupidity involved .
Gym bag , purse, removing gun belt when they went off.
I still recall the case years ago when a State Trooper at the airport was taking off his gun belt with the 357 revolver still in the holster .
Gun fell out, landed perfectly on the tip of the hammer on the cement floor and he got a new hole in his ass cheek.

But.. seriously.

it seems to me that EVERY manual for every gun I have ever got has always had a huge disclaimer/ warnings about anything ever coming into contact with the trigger. and many had little cartoons about proper storage and handling.

I am thinking that your loaded gun with one in the chamber banging around unsecured in a box or a bag with the trigger exposed and used underwear or towels may be covered?

maybe on the cartoon showing the gun whirling around in the washing machine with a line through it cartoon?

I guess he maybe wasn't where he was supposed to be so he's sueing to make himself look better?? May have not thought that plan out too well.

Pardon my ignorance, doesn't the P365 use the same design trigger module, just more compact? if so why are we not hearing of NDs on the 365?
365 has a safety lock on a firing pin. So far no one got shot by a p365 from what I know.

But.. seriously.

it seems to me that EVERY manual for every gun I have ever got has always had a huge disclaimer/ warnings about anything ever coming into contact with the trigger. and many had little cartoons about proper storage and handling.

I am thinking that your loaded gun with one in the chamber banging around unsecured in a box or a bag with the trigger exposed and used underwear or towels may be covered?

maybe on the cartoon showing the gun whirling around in the washing machine with a line through it cartoon?
Hey I had one cop bring me his S&W 686 for repair claiming the thing was locked up and nothing would move.
Come to find out he was taking the grips off and putting it the dishwasher to clean it.
Hey its stainless ...right ?
1630103982721.png

Back
Top Bottom