Somerville LTC in the mail yesterday!

Took 3 weeks and 1 day. Class A - Restricted[sad].

Now I can finally bring my XD from VT and actually use the range membership I have in Danvers.

Anyone know what paperwork is involved any paperwork involved in order for me to be able to bring my XD down into MA?

In the mean time, I'm in the process of filling out the NH Non-Res form and the C&R FFL form today.

How long has it been since you moved into MA? Within the past 60 days?

If yes, file FA-10.

Go over and ask them for one. If they don't give you one go over to a different PD and ask. You'll hit one quick that'll have on handy. Medford, Melrose, Malden.... or call CHSB and you'll have on in your mailbox in a few days.

I'm assuming that since you didnt answer the first part of the question you became a MA resident less than 60 days ago. Because if you didn't.....

Last I knew, they didn't have them at the reception desk on the first floor, but they had a supply in the Administrative Assistant's desk (on the way to the Firearms office). Go up the stairs, turn left and ask the person sitting at the desk straight ahead of you as you pass through the doorway.

-Gary

Go over and ask them for one. If they don't give you one go over to a different PD and ask. You'll hit one quick that'll have on handy. Medford, Melrose, Malden.... or call CHSB and you'll have on in your mailbox in a few days.

I'm assuming that since you didnt answer the first part of the question you became a MA resident less than 60 days ago. Because if you didn't.....

Hmm. It might be close. I think I got my car registration, insurance, and license all within a week or two of each other, and I'm pretty sure those all happened after the 4th of July.

How would I prove this?

If it has been less than 60 days, then what?

Honestly, I'm not sure. The move into MA rule is an exception to Chapter 140: Section 129C. Application of Sec. 129B; ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition; transfers; etc.

The only info regarding punishment is the following:

A seller shall, within seven days, report all such transfers to the executive director of the criminal history systems board according to the provisions set forth in section one hundred and twenty-eight A, and in the case of loss, theft or recovery of any firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun, a similar report shall be made forthwith to both the executive director of the criminal history systems board and the licensing authority in the city or town where the owner resides. Failure to so report shall be cause for suspension or permanent revocation of such person’s firearm identification card or license to carry firearms, or both, and shall be punished by a fine of not less than $200 nor more than $1,000 for a first offense and by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $5,000 for a second offense.

Also, there is no indication of when you actually move into MA in this statue. Maybe jdubois or drgrant knows whether its the day you actually cross the border or get your drivers license, or....??

Good luck.

I asked my LTC instructor about this and told him that because I did not have my LTC in MA yet that I left my Marlin Model 60 and my Winchester 1500 XTR 12 gauge back in CT and he said once you have your LTC just get 2 FA-10 forms and check off registration since you legally owned them before you entered MA. I think the 60 day rule applies when you brought your firearms with you on the same day as you moving into and becoming a resident of MA. So if you leave your guns legally in another state and you get your LTC after the magic 60 days it does not matter from my understanding. I could be wrong but this is just my $0.02 worth and understanding of the subject.

Might be worth a quick consult of a firearms attorney... if it was my skin, I would want to be sure than have something in paper that could potentially be used against me, regardless of how slim the chance it CHSB will catch any discrepancy. Remember, CYA, CYA, CYA (cover your ass)

How long has it been since you moved into MA? Within the past 60 days?

If yes, file FA-10.

There is no 60 day exemption on registration, the only exemption is "on moving" or somesuch.

The letter of the law says "on move in" for the registration exemption. of course the state has no real way of knowing the day you actually took residency here.

If he had moved here with the gun he would not have had to register it. If he's bringing it in from outside post-move, even though he already owns it, he'll have to register it.
Dumb law but that's the law.

-Mike

Might be worth a quick consult of a firearms attorney... if it was my skin, I would want to be sure than have something in paper that could potentially be used against me, regardless of how slim the chance it CHSB will catch any discrepancy. Remember, CYA, CYA, CYA (cover your ass)

Let's all stop making mountains out of molehills.

A person either moved here with the guns or they didn't. If they didn't, they'll file FA-10s on them when they bring them in. It's that simple.

Also bear in mind there are no "discrepancies" because CHSB has nothing to "check against" nor do they "check" anything. The records just get dumped into a database, and that's it. Nothing exciting or glamorous happens on an FA-10 transaction, contrary to popular belief.

-Mike

Turds. Can I pick a form from the Somerville PD main office, or do I have to wait till next Tuesday when the Firearms office is open?

You can get FA-10s from anywhere.

I'd suggest if you have trouble getting em, call up CHSB and theyll send you
a few in the mail... ask them to send you a dozen. [laugh]

-Mike

Nice that you got it. Sad that it's restricted. I just upgraded to ALP in Somerville. I got the card in the mail 2 days ago. I upgraded just 6 months after getting my target and hunting LTC (my first MA LTC), and I didn't have to pay anything for the upgrade. I guess I'm just that convincing.

Back
Top Bottom