• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Somerset Sportsman Club

My father is a member and I go as a guest quite often. What happened to the 300 yd range? Doesn't seem to be a backstop anymore?

My father is a member and I go as a guest quite often. What happened to the 300 yd range? Doesn't seem to be a backstop anymore?

It depends on who you talk too, some say it's closed some say it's open. There really isn't much of a berm down there any longer and From the scuttlebutt I have heard there are no real plans to fix it up. Of course I could be totally wrong on that as I haven't been to a meeting in quite some time.

Looking for some info on this place. Is a sponsor needed? How much are the dues? I'm a member at Taunton but thinking of joining here if price is right, since it's closer to home.

Yes you need a sponsor, dues are $125/year but I think 1st years are a bit higher (not sure on this)and there is also a work requirement for new members. I think membership may be closed now, again not sure. I haven't been to meeting in quite some time

Looking for some info on this place. Is a sponsor needed? How much are the dues? I'm a member at Taunton but thinking of joining here if price is right, since it's closer to home.

Oh geez. Not another one. Why don't you go out to the pits behind our houses? LOL (There are a # of NES members in my AO. At least one of them uses the sand pits in the middle of several developments off of 140.)

Somerset would be very close for me as well. Taunton seems to be a hassle. At least it was years ago. I'm in at Mansfield, hoping with fingers crossed that the indoor range is completed in the next few years. But still a 25 min drive.

What's the dealio with Somerset? Is trap only on sanctioned trap events/times? Is the pistol range reasonable? How are the bugs in the Summer.

My barber is a member. I'd ask him but it's always busy in there. I didn't want to bother him while busy.

Yes you need a sponsor, dues are $125/year but I think 1st years are a bit higher (not sure on this)and there is also a work requirement for new members. I think membership may be closed now, again not sure. I haven't been to meeting in quite some time

I'd probably pass on that anyway, I thought it would be cheaper since no indoor. I pay that for Taunton was just looking for a second option.

Oh geez. Not another one. Why don't you go out to the pits behind our houses? LOL (There are a # of NES members in my AO. At least one of them uses the sand pits in the middle of several developments off of 140.)

Somerset would be very close for me as well. Taunton seems to be a hassle. At least it was years ago. I'm in at Mansfield, hoping with fingers crossed that the indoor range is completed in the next few years.

Taunton isn't a hassle at all, no sponsor needed, no work req. Just drop of app and take there orientation once accepted, it may take a couple months since I think they capped so many members per month.

I go to Mansfield once and a while, my father is member there, I wouldn't get hopes up for the indoor anytime soon.

Last edited:

Somerset would be very close for me as well. Taunton seems to be a hassle. At least it was years ago. I'm in at Mansfield, hoping with fingers crossed that the indoor range is completed in the next few years. But still a 25 min drive.

What's the dealio with Somerset? Is trap only on sanctioned trap events/times? Is the pistol range reasonable? How are the bugs in the Summer.

My barber is a member. I'd ask him but it's always busy in there. I didn't want to bother him while busy.
I don't use the trap/skeet ranges so no help there.

All ranges are outdoors, there is 25yd, 50yd, 100 and 200 yard stations. there is a 300 yard station that may or may not be used depending on who you ask. Some stations are covered. Bugs are brutal in the summer....bring a lot of bug spray. It's not a well developed range but it serves it's purpose.

I'd probably pass on that anyway, I thought it would be cheaper since no indoor. I pay that for Taunton was just looking for a second option.

Taunton isn't a hassle at all, no sponsor needed, no work req. Just drop of app and take there orientation once accepted, it may take a couple months since I think they capped so many members per month.

I go to Mansfield once and a while, my father is member there, I wouldn't get hopes up for the indoor anytime soon.

Back in the day (20 yrs ago) that I had my Taunton R&P membership, this happened:

1. They would lose my renewal annually because their computer would crash and they'd lose 1/2 the data. No notices. Nothing. Just BOOM, you're locked out.

2. There was never an opportunity to use the indoor range in the evening. They had leagues running every night but Friday and Friday was a group of league guys that just hung around because they liked being there and telling everyone how it should be. (????)

3. The outdoor range was odd. In the middle of nowhere to me. (I think Mansfield is actually closer.) There wasn't a shooting "house" on much of the pistol-distance range. If they were running trap, you couldn't use the long-distance range. IIRC, you needed to qualify for both the 100yd AND 300yd ranges.

4. They claimed a s-ton of members yet didn't have the $ to do anything. ????? Maybe the leadership was in transition or something. But it was odd. Although after I left they DID build the fancy new indoor range finally. Maybe they were just lying about having no $. I dunno. It didn't sit well with me.

After the 3rd year of them losing my notice, losing my renewal, losing my everything, I just didn't bother to mention they lost me.

I've been to the new indoor range. It's nice. Just concerned that I was crowded out many moons ago and things weren't run right. Maybe it's better. If the indoor had time available, I would certainly be very close to swing over before or after work and such. That would be nice for a change.

I think TRP indoor is 24hrs.
Yes it is, which is great, I've been there at 2am before.
Back in the day (20 yrs ago) that I had my Taunton R&P membership, this happened:

1. They would lose my renewal annually because their computer would crash and they'd lose 1/2 the data. No notices. Nothing. Just BOOM, you're locked out.

2. There was never an opportunity to use the indoor range in the evening. They had leagues running every night but Friday and Friday was a group of league guys that just hung around because they liked being there and telling everyone how it should be. (????)

3. The outdoor range was odd. In the middle of nowhere to me. (I think Mansfield is actually closer.) There wasn't a shooting "house" on much of the pistol-distance range. If they were running trap, you couldn't use the long-distance range. IIRC, you needed to qualify for both the 100yd AND 300yd ranges.

4. They claimed a s-ton of members yet didn't have the $ to do anything. ????? Maybe the leadership was in transition or something. But it was odd. Although after I left they DID build the fancy new indoor range finally. Maybe they were just lying about having no $. I dunno. It didn't sit well with me.

After the 3rd year of them losing my notice, losing my renewal, losing my everything, I just didn't bother to mention they lost me.

I've been to the new indoor range. It's nice. Just concerned that I was crowded out many moons ago and things weren't run right. Maybe it's better. If the indoor had time available, I would certainly be very close to swing over before or after work and such. That would be nice for a change.

I think most of that has been resolved, there are 2 indoor ranges so if one is being used for pistol league or junior rifle team then the second is available.
There is a crew of older gentleman that hang out on Friday nights in yhe clubhouse just to shoot the shit. There all nice guys and don't bother anyone.
Only the 300yd requires a qualification, I do agree that the outdoor set up is not what I was used too. All targets must be at the berm and there is no defined firing line, so if someone sets up on the 50yd range at say 20yds he's pretty much tying up the whole thing

Last edited:
So both indoors are usable??? I noticed on the website that league is ONLY on Tuesday's now. It was 8 teams, M,T,W,Th years ago. (One team was on the road, the other at home. Probably s-tons of overlap on teams by guys that didn't want to be at home with their wives or kids.)

I might just have to send in the app. Having an indoor range that is USABLE is attractive to me right now. And they probably aren't using the 8086-era computer anymore for the locks. LOL

So both indoors are usable??? I noticed on the website that league is ONLY on Tuesday's now. It was 8 teams, M,T,W,Th years ago. (One team was on the road, the other at home. Probably s-tons of overlap on teams by guys that didn't want to be at home with their wives or kids.)

I might just have to send in the app. Having an indoor range that is USABLE is attractive to me right now. And they probably aren't using the 8086-era computer anymore for the locks. LOL

One is locked up unless there is a league function going on, I think they refer to it as the west range. It has the rubber brick backstop so they try to limit use for maintenance purposes. I've never had an issue, but I usually go around 8-9 at night and there is usually only a few people there

Back
Top Bottom