• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Someone's gonna pay....Dylan Roof failed background check....

More living proof that NICS is ****ing stupid and worthless, and is nothing more than feel good bullshit that rarely if ever stops a bad guy, and inconveniences and punishes thousands of innocent people otherwise.

-Mike

Here we go... righteous anger and hand wringing from Obama, Bloomberg and the Demanding Moms to bring back 'waiting periods' and/or

NIC's checks will be either proceed or denied... no more delayed.

Here we go... righteous anger and hand wringing from Obama, Bloomberg and the Demanding Moms to bring back 'waiting periods' and/or

Good luck to them on that front, considering that opening up the scope of false denials increases the opportunities and inertia for legal action against the feds.

-Mike

If I had to guess, it'll be no more Brady Transfer Date. You just have to wait for NICS to get back to you.

You would be suprised how common days are...

I'd have to look up the operating report but the number of delays is some large 5 digit number in the US every year. The number of false denials isn't statistically insignificant, either. Sounds like some good fodder for a lawsuit. How can the .gov claim it acted in good faith when an innocent person's rights are suppressed? (and remediation is painful, its not like "oh you have to call this hotline and answer these questions, and they'll figure it
out. " etc.

-Mike

If I had to guess, it'll be no more Brady Transfer Date. You just have to wait for NICS to get back to you.

Actually, that's what I meant to post.

Any delay will be indefinite and the FFL cannot complete the transaction until its either approved or denied.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, when the story first broke wasn't it said that he was given the pistol by his father as a birthday gift?

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-church-shooting-updates-htmlstory.html

I wonder why the story's changed.

Well, it's changed because the the "flag" to blame it all on will start to fade in the MSM rotation of puppet playing the people, so they need something else to string along the sheep into a frenzy to distract from the real issues.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, when the story first broke wasn't it said that he was given the pistol by his father as a birthday gift?

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-church-shooting-updates-htmlstory.html

Bad reporting. I think it came out later that he was given the money to buy a pistol.

Yes, initially it was reported that he was given a gun for a birthday present.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...x4DgCQ&usg=AFQjCNFbjM7v-484lqv182gpv1e0e5iCrA

An indefinite delay violates due process.

True but it never would be expressed as an indefinite delay - just a delay - when they re-task all the NICS workers to examine all transactions from the past year, new transactions will be 'delayed'. They just won't get back to new transfers for a couple years.

BTW, he should not have failed NICS (at least based upon my reading of question 11b on the 4473) since the charge he was arrested for was only a misdemeanor with a maximum of 6 months in jail.

Here is the charge: 0179-Drugs / Poss. of other controlled sub. in Sched. I to V - 1st offense

Unless NICS fails you for any arrest or indictment and not just felony indictments I don't see how they could claim he would have failed.

"A right delayed is a right denied." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

CNN said:
Due to the fact that Roof's background check took longer than three days to complete, the gun shop owner was allowed to sell the gun to Roof.
Interesting that NICS dropped the ball here. Hope the dealer doesn't get thrown under the bus for completing the sale after 3 days delay by NICS.
quote-Martin-Luther-King-Jr.-a-right-delayed-is-a-right-denied-100768.png

Interesting that NICS dropped the ball here. Hope the dealer doesn't get thrown under the bus for completing the sale after 3 days delay by NICS.
quote-Martin-Luther-King-Jr.-a-right-delayed-is-a-right-denied-100768.png
Depends on the day.

Delay Response On
Can Legally Transfer Under Federal Law On
Monday
Friday
Tuesday
Saturday
Wednesday
Tuesday
Thursday
Wednesday
Friday
Thursday
Saturday
Thursday
Sunday
Thursday

BTW, he should not have failed NICS (at least based upon my reading of question 11b on the 4473) since the charge he was arrested for was only a misdemeanor with a maximum of 6 months in jail.

Here is the charge: 0179-Drugs / Poss. of other controlled sub. in Sched. I to V - 1st offense

Unless NICS fails you for any arrest or indictment and not just felony indictments I don't see how they could claim he would have failed.

How about 11e?

Sorry if it's a dupe but I searched before posting....the anti's will eat this up....

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/10/politics/dylann-roof-fbi-gun-south-carolina/index.html

So did I and didnt see this one and posted it again sorry for the double post

- - - Updated - - -

Just like there was a AR15 used in Newtown and then there wasnt then there was and now it may have been in his trunk

The neutral-to-good news for us, depending on your particular position, is that apparently the laws in place, if properly enforced, would have prevented DR from getting the gun he used in the murders, so no new laws need to be passed. Of course the antis won't spin it that way at all.

Well what's being reported is had the NICS examiner spoke to the correct PD he would have been informed Roof admitted to possessing drugs on the police report and would have been gotten a no go on the purchase.....NICS was confused with the paperwork and did not contact Columbia PD...

"Due to the fact that Roof's background check took longer than three days to complete, the gun shop owner was allowed to sell the gun to Roof."

The anti's are now going to eat up the "background check loophole"
[banghead]

The actual question on the front of the form states (bold not mine)...

Are you under indictment or information in any court for a
felony , or any other crime, for which the judge could imprison you for
more than one year? (See Instructions for Question 11.b)

But, the instructions for 11.b just mentions "under indictment" (nothing about being indicted for a felony).

Question 11.b. Under Indictment or Information or Convicted in any
Court: An indictment, information, or conviction in any Federal, State, or
local court. An information is a formal accusation of a crime verified by a
prosecutor.

Does anyone believe he wouldn't have got a gun if he had failed the 'check'?

As in via a FTF transaction with no background check?

It's a good thing that he didn't, otherwise the anti's would really be pushing hard for universal background checks.

And if they were unsuccessful by accomplishing that through Congress, they'd just take the state by state route as they've been doing
for the past year.

Dylann Roof and Background Checks: Not Loopholes, Just Predictable Lack of Bureaucratic Competence

http://reason.com/blog/2015/07/10/dylann-roof-and-background-checks-not-lo

The New York Times today unnerved its readers who like to feel protected by a warm blanket of gun laws that some sort of vague "loophole" in the national gun buyer background check program allowed accused Charleston church mass murderer Dylann Roof to buy a gun, even though having misdemeanor prescription drug possession charges should have barred him from legally obtaining it.

The story is so poorly and vaguely written and reported—seems to be mostly stenography of a meeting with FBI chief James Comey—that one can't even understand what it is trying to say. It mentions a "loophole in the check system allowed the man, Dylann Roof, to buy the .45-caliber handgun despite his having previously admitted to drug possession" though it does not specify the nature of the loophole in any way. Then it refers to equally vague past "loopholes" in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System somehow related to "the three-day period the government has to determine whether someone is eligible to buy a gun."....

Back
Top Bottom