Someone using my call sign?

BillT113

NES Member
I just received an "official observer advisory notice" for broadcasting out of band. I know I haven't because I only have my uv-5r. I hope this was a one time incident but what can I do if someone is using my call sign?

I just received an "official observer advisory notice" for broadcasting out of band. I know I haven't because I only have my uv-5r. I hope this was a one time incident but what can I do if someone is using my call sign?

What did the notice say on it, and was it a report of a spurious emission or was it something beyond the pale?

It's distinctly possible the OO type misheard the callsign in use, etc...

-Mike

It says "Technician class does not have privileges beyond 28.500" and was checked frequency was 25.510 and out of band was checked

No it isn't.
An "OO" is not an employee of the FCC.
Hams for the most part are self policing, an OO is like a hall monitor, but he can recommend to the FCC that action be taken against a Ham if violations persist.

This is why I am concerned. I do think he may have misheard the call sign though. Maybe I should use this as motivation to study more and get more privileges. [smile]

This is why I am concerned. I do think he may have misheard the call sign though. Maybe I should use this as motivation to study more and get more privileges. [smile]

You have to get a bunch of OO notices before you should get worried. Most hams that actually use their radios have a small collection, not all of them valid.

25MHz doesn't fall into any ham band, so you can't operate there with any amateur license class.

Also of note is that the OO is wrong about Tech's not having privileges above 28MHz. There are a few small slices of 15M, 40M and 80M that Tech's can use (CW only though)

In any case, do some studying and go for general and even extra. Good luck.

I would contact the "official observer" to get more details. It's possible your $40 radio is defective and transmitting out of band.

FWIW, a few weeks ago I received a QSL card, dated October 28, 2011, from W1 QSL Bureau, for a contact in Guadalajara!! It was definitely not me. I brought it up to our (CT) Section Manager, and she said, "Prob. wrong callsign."

Last edited:
It says "Technician class does not have privileges beyond 28.500" and was checked frequency was 25.510 and out of band was checked

Probably a drunken poindexter, I wouldn't even worry about it. It's NOT an official "FCC" notice. OOs are just a mall cop program more or less, they have no real power. You pretty much have to be an infinite ******* to get the FCC on your case.

-Mike

>>I just received an "official observer advisory notice" for broadcasting out of band.<<

It's one of those things that's hard to prove or disprove. I didn't know "OOs" even existed anymore.

>>I just received an "official observer advisory notice" for broadcasting out of band.<<

It's one of those things that's hard to prove or disprove. I didn't know "OOs" even existed anymore.

They are still out and about. On some of the ham boards I've seen others receiving Bad Operator reports, and at least one Good Operator report. You usually have to do something pretty egregious to actually get hit by the FCC, though, usually involving interfering with the pieces of spectrum that they actually care about.

Back
Top Bottom