• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Someone said "Thank god for ten gauge goose guns."

Earlier this week I ran across a review that featured RC drones at a police equipment exposition.

I've been thinking about getting a 10 ga for a while. I have a Remington 870 12 ga magnum combo that I really like so I looked at what Remington had to offer. Their SP-10 looks like what I'm after (for goose hunting.)

Any first hand experience with this shotgun? Other manufacturer comparisons?

Thanks in advance.

Earlier this week I ran across a review that featured RC drones at a police equipment exposition.

I've been thinking about getting a 10 ga for a while. I have a Remington 870 12 ga magnum combo that I really like so I looked at what Remington had to offer. Their SP-10 looks like what I'm after (for goose hunting.)

Any first hand experience with this shotgun? Other manufacturer comparisons?

Thanks in advance.

A buddy of mine has an Ithaca Mag 10, which is nearly identical to the Remington SP-10.
In fact, Remington bought the design from Ithaca in 1989, made a few small changes and renamed it SP-10.

The thing is HUGE, I mean it's a real beast, beefy and heavy.
I fired it a few times, but couldn't get comfortable with the dimensions, and I certainly wouldn't want to lug it around all day long.
Also, if you think 12 gauge non-toxic waterfowl loads are expensive, wait until you see what the 10 gauge shells cost. [shocked]
I guess it would be a great gun if you're pass shooting at geese from a blind, but it's pretty unwieldy when you're trying to sneak up on them from a canoe.
However, I don't know how big you are, if you're a pretty big guy, the dimensions may be right for you.

You don't need a 10 ga. Heck I would imagine a 20 ga with some #4 will do one in. They have 4 motors positioned parallel to the earth's surface, take out one motor and the unit becomes unstable and barely flyable. Two motors and it's done. Just breaking a few blades in the rotors will shake the thing apart.

- - - Updated - - -

A buddy of mine has an Ithaca Mag 10, which is nearly identical to the Remington SP-10.
In fact, Remington bought the design from Ithaca in 1989, made a few small changes and renamed it SP-10.

The thing is HUGE, I mean it's a real beast, beefy and heavy.
I fired it a few times, but couldn't get comfortable with the dimensions, and I certainly wouldn't want to lug it around all day long.
Also, if you think 12 gauge non-toxic waterfowl loads are expensive, wait until you see what the 10 gauge shells cost. [shocked]
I guess it would be a great gun if you're pass shooting at geese from a blind, but it's pretty unwieldy when you're trying to sneak up on them from a canoe.
However, I don't know how big you are, if you're a pretty big guy, the dimensions may be right for you.

I think you missed at what he was driving at. [grin]

I think you missed at what he was driving at. [grin]

?????

Here's what FoxHill asked:

've been thinking about getting a 10 ga for a while. I have a Remington 870 12 ga magnum combo that I really like so I looked at what Remington had to offer. Their SP-10 looks like what I'm after (for goose hunting.)

Any first hand experience with this shotgun?

I answered his question based on my own knowledge and experience with the SP-10 design.
What did I miss ???

Headscratch.gif

>>I answered his question based on my own knowledge and experience with the SP-10 design.

Thank you. You echoed what others have said on-line. Curiously the SP-10 is listed as discontinued on the Remington website.

I found someone who said that the 10 ga. has been obsoleted by the 3 1/2 inch 12 ga. On the other hand, there are others who claim that the 12 ga just doesn't have the range or the terminal ballistics of the 10 ga.

I found 10 ga. #2 steel shot at $27/25 and 12 ga 3 1/2" #2 steel shot for $25/25.

I should probably think it through some more...

I said "thank god for ten gauge goose guns" because this fictional flying dealer of death.could reach altitudes of one quarter mile. I don't know (nor do I really care) if a twelve or a ten has that kind of effective range. It was just an attempt at levity. I failed, my bad.

Back
Top Bottom