• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Someone breaks in - Do you yell that you're armed or not?

All my self defense guns were “racked” years ago.

My big movie pet peeve

Ok, let’s go in “rack”. F’you. I racked my duty weapon 6+ months ago. Wtf are you doing it now for and I want a new partner.
You leave your rifles and shotguns with one in the chamber? I do for my carry pistol, but leave chamber empty for everything else.

I'm reading too many people courting a confrontation rather than avoiding one. "I don't want to lose the element of surprise"?????
I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to have to shoot somebody. Make no mistake, anybody who breaks in and is looking to harm me or mine after he knows I'm armed; he's getting dumped and I won't lose a minute's rest over it. But, anybody WANTING to do that needs mental help.

I'm reading too many people courting a confrontation rather than avoiding one. "I don't want to lose the element of surprise"?????
I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to have to shoot somebody. Make no mistake, anybody who breaks in and is looking to harm me or mine after he knows I'm armed; he's getting dumped and I won't lose a minute's rest over it. But, anybody WANTING to do that needs mental help.
a voice of reason is not too popular on nes.
:)

I haven't seen anybody here say they wanted this to happen to them. What I've seen is a diverse set of opinions on how people would respond if it were forced upon them.

I imagine (hope) it's a minority of people (if any in this forum) that are jerking off over the idea of getting to shoot someone.

I'm in the camp of not giving a home invader any information like the location of me and my family, what they're facing, or that they found a house they can burgle later to obtain a firearm. It's not my problem if some lowlife is gambling that he won't get shot. It's not the responsibility of the victim to make the fight fair or de-risk things for the criminal.

I imagine (hope) it's a minority of people (if any in this forum) that are jerking off over the idea of getting to shoot someone.

I'm in the camp of not giving a home invader any information like the location of me and my family, what they're facing, or that they found a house they can burgle later to obtain a firearm. It's not my problem if some lowlife is gambling that he won't get shot. It's not the responsibility of the victim to make the fight fair or de-risk things for the criminal.
Much of it is internet bravado, but some of it is for sure a disturbing blood thirst. There’s also a percentage of people here that foolishly think Castle Doctrine insulates them from massive legal battles. And almost all haven’t reeeaaaally thought this through; like how they’re going to quietly call 911, or if they’re not calling 911 how that will play out in court. Better hope the methhead is white…

Many people here are more likely to shoot little Jimmy making a sandwich at 2am than prevent an intruder from attacking them.

Much of it is internet bravado, but some of it is for sure a disturbing blood thirst. There’s also a percentage of people here that foolishly think Castle Doctrine insulates them from massive legal battles. And almost all haven’t reeeaaaally thought this through; like how they’re going to quietly call 911, or if they’re not calling 911 how that will play out in court. Better hope the methhead is white…

Many people here are more likely to shoot little Jimmy making a sandwich at 2am than prevent an intruder from attacking them.
If true, then this is a good place to talk about strategies to make sure that doesn't happen. For my house, that's proximity lights, cameras, and a plan that involves my wife getting the kids to a safe part of our house completely away from where rounds from me and/or the unwelcome guest are going to travel -- as well as making sure any rounds that miss don't travel towards a neighbor. If I have to fire a gun in my house, the legal battle that comes after is far less scary to me than what happens if I lose the first fight.

If true, then this is a good place to talk about strategies to make sure that doesn't happen. For my house, that's proximity lights, cameras, and a plan that involves my wife getting the kids to a safe part of our house completely away from where rounds from me and/or the unwelcome guest are going to travel -- as well as making sure any rounds that miss don't travel towards a neighbor. If I have to fire a gun in my house, the legal battle that comes after is far less scary to me than what happens if I lose the first fight.
Sure. I’m curious as to why you wouldn’t prefer to have your family with you though. Are you planning on clearing the house? Why?

It’s definitely a useful discussion to form strategies.

Sure. I’m curious as to why you wouldn’t prefer to have your family with you though. Are you planning on clearing the house? Why?

It’s definitely a useful discussion to form strategies.

I have cameras and proximity lights that would tell me where someone is hiding, what they're holding, and what I'm facing, but "the plan" isn't for me to clear the house.

The reason for my family to not be behind or next to me is because I think it's safest to assume anyone willing to do a home invasion is also armed. The angles are just safer for them to be locked in another room and talking to police, while any violence is directed at me as I keep aim at a chokepoint that gives me a massive advantage.

I have cameras and proximity lights that would tell me where someone is hiding, what they're holding, and what I'm facing, but "the plan" isn't for me to clear the house.

The reason for my family to not be behind or next to me is because I think it's safest to assume anyone willing to do a home invasion is also armed. The angles are just safer for them to be locked in another room and talking to police, while any violence is directed at me as I keep aim at a chokepoint that gives me a massive advantage.
Ok. But if they’re safe locked in that room why not lock yourself in there too?

My plan is a lot different, but at least you have a plan!

Funny you say that. Many years ago I was living in Natick in a duplex near the old baseball factory. We went up to bed, never heard a thing but the next morning we knew someone had broken in. They didn't take anything, but they made themselves a sandwich and did their laundry in our washer and dryer. Only reason we knew is that when they left they let the cat outside, which we never did. Then we noticed the other stuff. Called the cops, but not much they could do seeing they didn't take anything other then bread and lunch meat.

Probably would have been a bad thing shooting someone sitting at my table eating a sandwich.

Ok. But if they’re safe locked in that room why not lock yourself in there too?

My plan is a lot different, but at least you have a plan!

There's interior doors that can get kicked in and some lowlife with a gun shooting at me would then also be shooting at my family. Worst case, my family could be harmed or killed. Awful case, access to the part of the house where my family is bunkering in means potential for a shitbag to barricade when the police arrive. Bad case, they have memories of a gunfight or watch someone die. Best case, it's just "that scary time mommy hid with us while daddy and the police made the bad man go away". I want the best case.

My plan boils down to my wife rounding up the kids and communicating with police. I buy more time for the police to arrive and make it easier for people who are (hopefully) much better at violence against felons to handle it.

I'm curious about your plan.

I buy more time for the police to arrive and make it easier for people who are (hopefully) much better at violence against felons to handle it.

Not meant to be a slam on my local LEs, but I live in a sleepy town with one cruiser on overnight and he's usually in a side road sleeping. I have no idea how long a call to the dispatcher will take to wake him/her up and have them get to my house. Lots of things could happen in that time. I'm basically staying upstairs. They have to come up the stairs right into my line of fire before getting up there. Hopefully me yelling down to them makes them run off. If not, they are not making it up the stairs.

Not meant to be a slam on my local LEs, but I live in a sleepy town with one cruiser on overnight and he's usually in a side road sleeping. I have no idea how long a call to the dispatcher will take to wake him/her up and have them get to my house. Lots of things could happen in that time. I'm basically staying upstairs. They have to come up the stairs right into my line of fire before getting up there. Hopefully me yelling down to them makes them run off. If not, they are not making it up the stairs.
Absolutely and not a slam at all. I'm assuming it will be *at least* 5 minutes in my town until help arrives and maybe longer to wait for backup if the dirtbag didn't make a run for it.

Not meant to be a slam on my local LEs, but I live in a sleepy town with one cruiser on overnight and he's usually in a side road sleeping. I have no idea how long a call to the dispatcher will take to wake him/her up and have them get to my house. Lots of things could happen in that time.
Depending on where the sole overnight duty cop is cooping, response time here can approach a half hour.

Not a lot of home invasions in the exurbs (but the two horrific ones have left a long-lasting impression), however the city has problems and criminals do travel:

If true, then this is a good place to talk about strategies to make sure that doesn't happen. For my house, that's proximity lights, cameras, and a plan...
The first line is to detect approach and deter entry (perimeter lighting, motion-triggered floodlights, loud dog, etc). That said, once a visitor has chosen to break through an exterior door and ignores the klaxon and other responses, they've indicated their intentions towards the occupants.

Home automation can help with that, as well as with situation-dependent response. When in "Armed- Stay" the response to any door or window sensor trigger is to bring all interior non-bedroom lights to full brightness, and extinguish bedroom hallway lighting.
OTOH, in "Armed-Away" it's disco night! (LED area lighting strobes nicely with the right lamp controller).

Did anyone post this yet?

Own a musket for home defense, since that's what the founding fathers intended. Four ruffians break into my house. "What the devil?" As I grab my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle. Blow a golf ball sized hole through the first man, he's dead on the spot. Draw my pistol on the second man, miss him entirely because it's smoothbore and nails the neighbors dog. I have to resort to the cannon mounted at the top of the stairs loaded with grape shot, "Tally ho lads" the grape shot shreds two men in the blast, the sound and extra shrapnel set off car alarms. Fix bayonet and charge the last terrified rapscallion. He Bleeds out waiting on the police to arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are impossible to stitch up. Just as the founding fathers intended.
Couldn’t just give them scurvy huh?
Lmao

Announcing you have a gun removes the element of surprise.

No way am I jeopardizing my safety that way.
I just yell from behind the door that the ole lady has herpes and I’ve got mpox.

Then dueling banjos starts, I put in a pinch of redman, I pull on my tighty whiteys with the yellow dot stain on the front and it’s game on mfkrs!!!!

I'm curious about your plan.
BuT mUh oPsEc…

No plan survives first contact. You plan, in general terms, for the most probable course of action and the most dangerous course of action. You develop an intent, a desired end state that everyone understands. Something simple. And then you rely on everyone to meet that intent in whatever way seems best at the time.

Would I always shout a warning to the BG? No. Would I never do so? No. It depends on the situation.

BuT mUh oPsEc…

No plan survives first contact. You plan, in general terms, for the most probable course of action and the most dangerous course of action. You develop an intent, a desired end state that everyone understands. Something simple. And then you rely on everyone to meet that intent in whatever way seems best at the time.

Yeah, exactly. Wife and kids go to their spot and lock doors. Wife calls police. I open a safe and keep a red dot on a choke point. Wait for police and hope they're not the uvalde type.

I keep my 'pistol' bolt forward on an empty chamber. The only sound I'd make is the bolt going forward. If they don't recognize that sound, it's on them.

I keep my 'pistol' bolt forward on an empty chamber. The only sound I'd make is the bolt going forward. If they don't recognize that sound, it's on them.
If it’s forward, how can it go more forward?

I like the + 1 of an extra round in the camber and a full mag.

You leave your rifles and shotguns with one in the chamber? I do for my carry pistol, but leave chamber empty for everything else.
No, I don’t use rifles or shotguns for home defense (except during all the pandemic riots. Then I had my ar on hand)

I prefer pistols for home defense. Easier to deal with in the house. And yeah, all chambered.

I am disappointed in this thread

Not a single one of you has like a loud speaker or a bullhorn where you would announce something like :

" will you do me a kindness and just leave the property now otherwise.... Imma going to find your house, bang YOUR girl or wife.... leave a big upper decker in the toilet, and then throw your keys on the roof. "
Given what a potential home invader might be, do you really want to stick your junk in his ho’s honey pot? I’m thinking no. Be easy on yourself. Just shoot the guy. Lmfao.

I expect nothing less than a 20 minute response to any 911 call.
It’s just a cold hard fact.
I’m betting I have more fire extinguishers per square foot than anybody.

Back
Top Bottom